Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Does the Caliber SRT4 face the same fate as the other SRT models?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Unoriginalusername 
#1 ·
So my question is will the Dodge Caliber face the same fate as the other SRT models and gain more weight in the process? It is sure to weigh more than the 3039lbs of the SXT given the SXT is using a 2.0L versus the 2.4, let alone the different tranny, wheels & tires, turbo intercooler etc.

So what do you think it will weight? I took a look at some other SRT models and mean wieght gain after the SRT transformation is 169lbs. That would put the Caliber SRT4's weight up to a whopping 3208lbs which is almost as heavy as the full out AWD rally racer STI which tips the scales at 3351lbs forgoing much of the FWD vs. AWD weight savings which effect performance.

The outgoing SRT had a curbweight of 2970lbs and had approx 230whp, lets assume the projected weight is correct and that just like last time the SRT4 dynos exactly what it claims for the crank (300). That means the new Caliber SRT would still have a power to weight ratio advantage over the previous srt4 (12.9lbs per hp) versus 10.7lbs for the new one.

Dodge Caliber (SXT) - 3039 (MT)
Dodge Caliber SRT4 - ?

Dodge Charger - 3820 (sxt) or 4100lbs (v8)
Dodge Charger SRT - 4160lbs
SRT Net gain of 60lbs

Dodge Magnum - 4159 (sxt) or 4179 (v8 rt)
Dodge Magnum SRT8 - 4260lbs
SRT Net gain of 101lbs

Chrysler Crossfire coupe - 3010
Chrysler Crossfire coupe SRT6 - 3240
SRT Net gain of 230lbs

Dodge Ram 1500 reg. cab (v8) - 4815
Dodge Ram 1500 reg. cab SRT10 - 5100lbs
SRT Net gain of 285lbs

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not going to get into this discussion again - they don't even weigh the cars with fluids in them, so whatever numbers you see there still discount the driver, gasoline, battery, etc.

Regardless, I'm looking at a 3,200 pound target once you get fluids in it - and even more if a weighty individual buys it. OF course, I'm sure they're shooting for a lighter car than 3,200.

#4 ·
Wow, I'm sure that RAM SRT10 weight gain has NOTHING to do with the V10 under the hood, and NOTHING to do with the HUGE brembo brakes, and NOTHING to do with the viper transmission, and NOTHING to do with etc etc etc.

Same with ALL of the SRT-8's. Welcome to bigger engines, bigger brakes, beefier suspensions. All of which weigh something. None of which are made of super expensive ultra-light weight materials.

Is it a big surprise? No. Does the BHP increase more than make up for 60-100 extra pounds? HELL YES.

#5 ·
yea this is the smaller of the srt line up so i dont think the weight gain is going to be as signifiacnt. either way the caliber srt4 isnt going to be a light weight car. Its designed to be anything but cute.

#7 ·
Plus, I bet the Caliber has plenty, I mean PLENTY of parts that you can take out to lighten the load. Hell, take out the back seats and I bet that's an easy 50-75 pound weight savings right there. Remember, every little thing counts. I remember someone made a lightweight SRT-4 just by taking out all the little things: back seats, unnecessary carpeting, lightweight hood, lightweight rims, etc...All those things will add up to a tremendous weight saving to give you a substantial gain, hell, it might help make the Caliber a little smoother in the corners.

#8 ·
I think a lot of people who are going to buy the Caliber SRT-4 aren't necessarily interested in a super fast car to race.

Take me for example... I already have a neon SRT-4 which is bitchin fast, if all I cared about was speed, I would just continue modding my car. The difference is, I wanted a car that's more practical for my lifestyle but I still dont want to give up the SRT experience... in THIS case, the Caliber SRT seems to be a GREAT fit.

If it comes down to a few extra hundred pounds which COULD shave off a couple milliseconds on a track... I for one am not the slightest concerned.

#9 ·
Ironside said:
I think a lot of people who are going to buy the Caliber SRT-4 aren't necessarily interested in a super fast car to race.

Take me for example... I already have a neon SRT-4 which is bitchin fast, if all I cared about was speed, I would just continue modding my car. The difference is, I wanted a car that's more practical for my lifestyle but I still dont want to give up the SRT experience... in THIS case, the Caliber SRT seems to be a GREAT fit.

If it comes down to a few extra hundred pounds which COULD shave off a couple milliseconds on a track... I for one am not the slightest concerned.
I'd buy a used elise if i just wanted a track car... try fitting a 32" TV and a passenger in one of those and still be able to out run an STI on the hwy, not going to happen, but for the Caliber SRT4 its all part of the everyday job; if you can't afford a dedicated track car the Caliber SRT4 is good at not sacrificing every day practicality car needs and as you said will likely do a hell of a job and feeling "like" a sports car performer... obvisouly it won't be as nible around the track as a decked out neon srt4, evo/sti or elise but it'll be darn close enough that the price and practicallity sell itself

For $22-25KUSD or 25-27k CND you could get it with a stage kit (assuming they go ahead with the plans to make at least one) add in lowering springs, sways, CAI, CBXE etc. for around 30k (CND) and have a virtually unbeatable ride for the money and still be able to do the everyday stuff without comprimise. I can't wait :D

#10 ·
plus don't forget that the srt has an adjustable wastegate standard...you might not know that. it was posted up on srt4forums.com where a member was allowed to drive a test car. he gave us all a little taste of what was to come. i think the power and aftermarket will help alot!

#11 ·
boostdog said:
plus don't forget that the srt has an adjustable wastegate standard...you might not know that. it was posted up on srt4forums.com where a member was allowed to drive a test car. he gave us all a little taste of what was to come. i think the power and aftermarket will help alot!
you got a link to that thread? I did a search and have skimmed through the last 10 pages under the SRT4 section and nothing showed up.... post the linky, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.