Dodge Caliber Forums banner

How To: Remove radio bezel and shifter surround

47K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tigerpride_26 
#1 · (Edited)
I've seen this up in a couple of places, but here is a good detailed write up on how to remove the radio surround and shifter surround.

Step One: open your door. (jk)

Step One: Remove the shifter knob by pulling firmly straight up (I've seen quite a bit of debate over this, as some say that there is a small tab that needs to be depressed to release the knob, which is probably true. However, I've always just pulled it off and I've had no problems.

Step Two: Use a flathead screwdriver placed between the light gray center dash piece on the bottom of the shifter surround and the shifter plate itself, and pry carefully up. The plastic here (as with everywhere) is very soft, so use extra care, possibly wrapping the screwdriver in a rag or small towel if you dont feel comfortable.

Note: there are four tabs holding the shifter plate in place, on top right, one bottom right, one top left, one bottom left. try and pry as close to these pieces as you can.

Step Three: Once all tabs have been popped out, then simply slide the shifter plate straight up and over your shifter stick.

Step Four: Now you move on to the radio surround. Using your flathead screwdriver, start low and gently pop out the tabs holding it in place. I usually unclip the first couple on the bottom of each side, then use my fingers to work the rest off.

Step Five: Once you get to the top of the radio bezel, the top two tabs are more hooks that are hooked under the top part of the dash, put pressure straight down on the top of the radio bezel and work it out from under there, and now your bezel is ALMOST out.

Step Six: disconnect all of the wiring plugs from the back of the seat heater/hazards module, and the A/C unit. To completely remove bezel, you will also need to wedge your screwdriver in where the two cables are that are connected to the A/C temp and fan speeds. Twist your screwdriver to remove these.

Step Seven: work on whatever you need to do back there (i'll have stuff you can do back there coming up soon)

Step Eight: reattach the pieces by first reattaching the wiring and A/C lines, then hooking the top of the radio bezel, then popping each tab back in, then popping the shifter plate back on, then popping the shifter knob back on. YOURE DONE!

See less See more
#6 ·
Yep Yep... a stubby philips head screwdriver did the trick for me.

Great How To with Pics.

Pulling the HVAC Surround off almost feels like you are going to break it... it snaps in place real tight.

#8 ·
no need the disconnect the heater control cables just un screw it from the bezel alot faster :stickpoke:

Reactions: UN4GTBL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.