Dodge Caliber Forums banner

HELP!! EVIC message Oil Change Required

28K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Germaneon 
#1 ·
How do I clear the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" message on my EVIC that appears at every start-up now?
The funny part is I only have 2600 some miles on my car. Seems a bit early for that message to appear. ???
Besides I changed my oil at 1000 miles to get all of the assembly lubes and trash out of the system.
I do my own oil changes so I hope this isn't going to be an ongoing issue.
Thanks in advance.:)

#2 ·
turn the key to the 'on' position without starting the car. push the gas pedal slowly 3 times (all the way to the floor) and release slowly 3 times within 10 seconds. turn the key to the 'off' position, then start the car and it should be gone.

works for me :)

#3 · (Edited)
Frostee is correct .... Tedman ask the question

see page 174 of your owners manual.....

Oil Change Required

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change​
indicator system. The “Change Oil” message will flash in
the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12
seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon
your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and
release the Trip Odometer button on the instrument
cluster. To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following
procedure.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

#8 ·
quick question (sorry for it being a lame one) what tools do you need for the oil change on this car? my friend is gonna let me do the oil change at his warehouse so i can save a little, but i want to make sure i bring the right stuff.

im guessing a regular filter wrench but what size socket etc.

again sorry for such a lame question, but ive answered enough to merit myself a searchless dumb question or two :D

#9 ·
now.. clap your hands three times and click your heels and say theres no place like home!!!!!!!!!!! and your oil message will turn off

why does Dodge have to make this "complicated"? lol
gosh now I gotta remember to do this tomorrow... I thought my car was on crack cause it wasnt shutting that message off.

#10 ·
I'm still wondering why Chrysler even bothers to print an owners manual.

#11 ·
HIGHBRED8 said:
quick question (sorry for it being a lame one) what tools do you need for the oil change on this car? my friend is gonna let me do the oil change at his warehouse so i can save a little, but i want to make sure i bring the right stuff.

im guessing a regular filter wrench but what size socket etc.

again sorry for such a lame question, but ive answered enough to merit myself a searchless dumb question or two :D
Well Im not sure on this car exactly, but usually sizes for drain plugs are either 17-18-19 or 21 mm (usually for imports). Probably 17 or 18mm.

Filter, all you need is some elbow grease :)

#13 ·
erich82 said:
Well Im not sure on this car exactly, but usually sizes for drain plugs are either 17-18-19 or 21 mm (usually for imports). Probably 17 or 18mm.

Filter, all you need is some elbow grease :)
I just changed mine last week and it seems like it was either a 13mm or 15mm... I could be wrong though. Just bring the whole set with you. It is laid out just like the Neon under the car. The filter is right in front of the oil pan. Very quick and easy. Everything is easily accessable. Takes 15 minutes.

#14 ·
For what it's worth, the EVIC oil change message seems to be programed for a first change at 2600-700 miles. It's based on driving style and mileage. Put your foot in it a lot combined with stop and go will get you an early message. Featherfooting and lots of highway miles will take you well past 3000 miles before the message pops up again.

#16 ·
MykTurk said:
For what it's worth, the EVIC oil change message seems to be programed for a first change at 2600-700 miles. It's based on driving style and mileage. Put your foot in it a lot combined with stop and go will get you an early message. Featherfooting and lots of highway miles will take you well past 3000 miles before the message pops up again.
If its based on driving style i might get my oil change msg at 1000 miles! HAHAHA

sorry I cant help it, I have a heavy foot:bigthumb:

#17 ·
egk69 said:
If its based on driving style i might get my oil change msg at 1000 miles! HAHAHA

sorry I cant help it, I have a heavy foot:bigthumb:
1000 miles, maybe not, but I wouldn't be shocked ether. If you've got the EVIC make a note of just how many miles are on it when it demands an oil change.

If I had an SRT4 my big size 12's would be buried deep regularly too.

#21 ·
I talked with my service manager and it seems there's talk about the new oil reminders being a bit to sensitive. The reminder is based on mileage and type of use (aggressive vs. passive). He said to use the reminder as a que to check your oil level and color between changes. If everything looks good stick with your normal oil change interval. 5k is the standard but they do mine every 4k and that seems to be good.

#22 ·
Its a 13mm wrench for the drain plug...

And my oil change reminder hasn't come on since the first time (at ~2600)! I wonder why? Not that the engine computer knows that I have changed the oil, but I have been changing with Mobil 1 every 5k. I wouldn't mind stretching it out more since I'm using the synthetic; but my manual says change every 3k (not 5k). Do the newer manuals indicate a longer interval than 3k?

My Yukon XL had a "similar" system except that it told me a lot more (it would indicate oil life remaining). I used the Engine Oil Life telltale and would run it from 100% Engine Oil Life down to Change Oil and then reset for another 50% before changing (again using M-1). But I would get almost 10-12k miles per change in the Yukon that way... much easier to tolerate than changing my oil more often than every two months (14 changes in 19 months).

If the Mopar system indicated oil life remaining based on duty cycle, I'd probably get almost 8-9k per change using the same method as before... I just don't want to push this little aluminum 4 banger too far; its gotta last me almost another 160k before its paid for!

#23 ·
b0bberRT said:
Its a 13mm wrench for the drain plug...

And my oil change reminder hasn't come on since the first time (at ~2600)! I wonder why? Not that the engine computer knows that I have changed the oil, but I have been changing with Mobil 1 every 5k. I wouldn't mind stretching it out more since I'm using the synthetic; but my manual says change every 3k (not 5k). Do the newer manuals indicate a longer interval than 3k?

My manual says every 6K on my 08 SXT!

Jim

#24 ·
I don't know where the hell you guys are getting 5K as the oil change interval. In the Caliber SRT-4 manual it states 6K miles is when you do the oil changes according to the maintenance log. It does go on to say that the EVIC will alert around 3k or 6k depending on driving style. But no where in the manual does it say anything about 5k, 4k, or any other interval besides 3k or 6k.

#25 ·
Well... I said I was changing my oil every 5k, because my owner's manual actually says every 3k; and since I am using Mobil 1 full synthetic not Dino Oil, I was stretching it to 5k.

Since I posted that message, and saw that Jim's newer owner's manual states 6k; I've stretched mine out further. I now am pushing 9k between changes... which has helped my pocket quite a bit. I still haven't seen a Change Oil Reminder come on since the first time; and I only reset it that one time at sub-3k miles.

go figure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.