LCA recall. - Dodge Caliber Forums
Caliber SRT-4 Discussion If you have discussion that specifically relates to the Dodge Caliber SRT4 please put it in here.

#1 Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 AM
osirus
Points: 7,825, Level: 59 Points: 7,825, Level: 59 Points: 7,825, Level: 59
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LCA recall.

I recently took my traction bars off and 2day I noticed a clicking noise coming from my front left tire. When I installed my traction bars I had to drill the hole out to make a bigger bolt fit (people who installed these know what I'm talking about). When these were uninstalled I kept the bigger bolt in so it would be a snug fit. Any reason why I should have this clicking noise?
Would me installing these bigger bolts fix the recall or be at fault?

ms1, agp wastegate, mpx catted d/p, corsa catback, mpx inserts, mpx strut tower brace, scan gauges, aem a/f, mpx fmic, hks bov, spectre cai, eibach springs, sbc stage 3 clutch, realtuned clamp, 590cc injectors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 AM
hwc2243
Points: 11,234, Level: 69 Points: 11,234, Level: 69 Points: 11,234, Level: 69
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Re: LCA recall.

The hole you had to drill out bigger was an empty hole in the Lower Control Arm. That should have no affect on anything related to the LCA recall. The rear bolt in the LCA is replaced when you install traction bars with a longer bolt to accomodate the heim join in the traction bars. I'm unclear why when you removed them you would have left the longer bolt in the rear, the stock bolt is more than sufficiently long to go through and be torqued to the appropriate spec.

With the LCA the issue is primarily with the front bolt which does not go all the way through the attaching point but instead screws into a threaded hole in the lower cradle. The recall addresses the fact that they used the same length bolt for the front and rear attaching point and it wasn't quite long enough for the front. I've heard some people mention a stronger bolt as well. I'm not sure about that because the bolt grade is 10.9 on both the original and the new so unless the originals didn't actually meet spec I'm not sure about a harder bolt.

That being said after the winter I heard a slight popping in the front so I took my car in to have the LCA repair done. After I got it back the sound was still there. I noticed that the heim joints on the traction bar were slightly corroded from the winter so I thought I would take them off just to try and eliminate things from the problem. When I took them off the sound got much worse so I looked around some more and found that after the repair the left front bolt attaching the LCA wasn't torqued correctly and I couldn't torque it to spec so I took the car back in. The threads in the lower cradle had actually stripped out so they ordered me a new cradle and no more popping.

As for the traction bars, I haven't reinstalled them because I decided to compete in SCCA Solo this year and I didn't want to move to the category that they would place me in.

Hope some of this helps.

2013 Performance Blue Focus ST3
Cobb AccessPort Stage 1 at 93 Octane

Former: 2008 Inferno Red CSRT4

Last edited by hwc2243; 04-29-2009 at 04:40 AM.
#3 Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 AM
osirus

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwc2243 View Post
The hole you had to drill out bigger was an empty hole in the Lower Control Arm. That should have no affect on anything related to the LCA recall. The rear bolt in the LCA is replaced when you install traction bars with a longer bolt to accomodate the heim join in the traction bars. I'm unclear why when you removed them you would have left the longer bolt in the rear, the stock bolt is more than sufficiently long to go through and be torqued to the appropriate spec.

With the LCA the issue is primarily with the front bolt which does not go all the way through the attaching point but instead screws into a threaded hole in the lower cradle. The recall addresses the fact that they used the same length bolt for the front and rear attaching point and it wasn't quite long enough for the front. I've heard some people mention a stronger bolt as well. I'm not sure about that because the bolt grade is 10.9 on both the original and the new so unless the originals didn't actually meet spec I'm not sure about a harder bolt.

That being said after the winter I heard a slight popping in the front so I took my car in to have the LCA repair done. After I got it back the sound was still there. I noticed that the heim joints on the traction bar were slightly corroded from the winter so I thought I would take them off just to try and eliminate things from the problem. When I took them off the sound got much worse so I looked around some more and found that after the repair the left front bolt attaching the LCA wasn't torqued correctly and I couldn't torque it to spec so I took the car back in. The threads in the lower cradle had actually stripped out so they ordered me a new cradle and no more popping.

As for the traction bars, I haven't reinstalled them because I decided to compete in SCCA Solo this year and I didn't want to move to the category that they would place me in.

Hope some of this helps.
thanx for the input, I ended up reusing the longer, bigger bolt becuase 1. I lost the old,smaller bolts and 2. It didnt make sense to me to put smaller bolts back in after I drilled the hole larger. I think im just going to go under the car and make sure everythings tight.
#4 Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 AM
whoosh@Realtune
Supporting Vendor

Points: 23,789, Level: 94 Points: 23,789, Level: 94 Points: 23,789, Level: 94
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Thanked 1,335 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus View Post
thanx for the input, I ended up reusing the longer, bigger bolt becuase 1. I lost the old,smaller bolts and 2. It didnt make sense to me to put smaller bolts back in after I drilled the hole larger. I think im just going to go under the car and make sure everythings tight.
the rear mounting point for the traction bars has a longer bolt / not not a bigger one (diameter of OEM bolt and BWoody bolt are identical)
I'm not sure how you would use this longer bolt without having the bars installed????
as for the front mounting point: as hwc2243 mentioned, it is installed in an existing hole that is not used for anything. That hole is drilled out and you use a "bigger"(diameter) bolt for that but again...without the traction bars installed it has no purpose for anything???? no bolt would be installed in this hole if the traction bars are not installed

the 2 rear LCA bolts you lost or whatever will cost at best 10-15 bucks at the dealer
from the sounds of things you'd be better off putting everything back to stock and call it a day

www.realtuned.com

Home of the Worlds Quickest 3 Caliber SRT4's
{11.41@127 Gizmo Caliber }{11.62@128 Realtune Caliber}{11.85@119 whoosh Caliber}

1st Caliber in the 11's
1st with two 11 second Caliber builds
1st with three 11 second Caliber builds
1st to tune an over 500whp Caliber
1st to tune two over 500whp Calibers

95 products for your Caliber SRT4
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17378
#5 Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
PBGas
Points: 3,050, Level: 33 Points: 3,050, Level: 33 Points: 3,050, Level: 33
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Quote:
The threads in the lower cradle had actually stripped out so they ordered me a new cradle and no more popping.
THat is pretty darn serious because it pretty much ties the whole K-member in there.

Yikes! Good thing you found it!

08 Caliber SRT-4 Black
Mopar S-1, Mopar/Corsa Exhaust, Mopar Swaybars, Mopar shock brace, AEM intake, MPX Street mounts, AGP FMIC, HKS BOV
#6 Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
osirus

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___whoosh___ View Post
the rear mounting point for the traction bars has a longer bolt / not not a bigger one (diameter of OEM bolt and BWoody bolt are identical)
I'm not sure how you would use this longer bolt without having the bars installed????
as for the front mounting point: as hwc2243 mentioned, it is installed in an existing hole that is not used for anything. That hole is drilled out and you use a "bigger"(diameter) bolt for that but again...without the traction bars installed it has no purpose for anything???? no bolt would be installed in this hole if the traction bars are not installed

the 2 rear LCA bolts you lost or whatever will cost at best 10-15 bucks at the dealer
from the sounds of things you'd be better off putting everything back to stock and call it a day
The front LCA (right behind the front wheel?) didnt have anybolt to begin with, so theres nothing there now. The rear LCA (the part I think I'm having trouble with) I used the longer bolt that BWoody gave me. I had to use the spacer they gave me aswell to catch thread on the bwoody bolt. I could have swore that the rear LCA hole needed to be drilled out a little bit.....
#7 Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
hwc2243
Points: 11,234, Level: 69 Points: 11,234, Level: 69 Points: 11,234, Level: 69
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus View Post
The front LCA (right behind the front wheel?) didnt have anybolt to begin with, so theres nothing there now. The rear LCA (the part I think I'm having trouble with) I used the longer bolt that BWoody gave me. I had to use the spacer they gave me aswell to catch thread on the bwoody bolt. I could have swore that the rear LCA hole needed to be drilled out a little bit.....
I hope you drilled the front one which is in the middle of the lower control arm. If you drilled the rear one, I think you have the answer to your popping.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwc2243 For This Useful Post:
whoosh@Realtune (04-29-2009)
#8 Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM
osirus

(Thread Starter)

I actually went under the car 2day, the (longer) bolt that bwoody supplied me with was just loose, I had to nig rig it b4 to make it catch thread. I went to Menards and bought the bolts I needed and everything seems good now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Caliber SRT-4 Discussion