Dodge Caliber Forums banner

AWD rims vs. FWD

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  xcanuk 
#1 ·
Is there a difference, can the two be alternated? I have awd and am looking for some winter rims.

#2 ·
I doubt there is any difference at all. I believe the FWD R/T uses the exact same wheels as the AWD version.

#4 ·
ya the R/Ts are 18's .... im selling mine wanna buy um...lol thought id slip that in there.

#7 ·
Michelin X-Ice 215-65-16 these run slightly smaller that stock 18's

Costco (where I bought them)
Tire $157. Rim $50, Mounted Balanced $11, Environ Tax $3, less $15 rebate
Total $206 x 4 = $824.00

For Comparison, Dodge Dealer
Tire $153, Rim $60 (btw dealer said its the same rim as the caravan), Mounted balance $15, Environ Tax $3 Total $231 x 4 = $924

Canadian tire came out at $975.00

FYI > Tirerack "says" 15" rims will fit, but my Dodge dealer tried it on their demo and couldn't get them to fit. I would have prefered 15"

#11 ·
xcanuk said:
Michelin X-Ice 215-65-16 these run slightly smaller that stock 18's

"
I just had 4 Continental WinterContacts, 225-60-17 "H" installed on my factory alloys.These tires are about 3/10s of an inch larger in diameter than the stock Firestones. I always thought that a bigger tire would improve gas mileage but it seems a little bit worse now. Could it be the colder weather or because of the softer and more aggressive tread? I paid $145 installed and balanced at TireCraft in Trenton, ON. I'm going to look for a good set of H or V rated summer tires and new 17 or 18 inch rims over the winter. I'll have a nice bonfire with the crappy Firestones cause thats all they're good for.

#12 ·
A larger tire can hurt economy by adding rotational weight to the driveline as well as eating a tiny bit more torque to get moving.

#14 ·
Dodgy said:
Is there a difference, can the two be alternated? I have awd and am looking for some winter rims.
As long as the outer diameter of the tire is pretty close your fine. Within 1/4 inch if possible. More than that "may" mess with the function of sensors with ABS and AWD (it happens on a few other AWD cars so i thought I'd mention). The only issue I can think of fitment wise, is that I beleive the RT uses bigger brakes, since it weighs more, which may not clear a smaller rim than the stock RT size and offset.

#15 ·
notwithstanding the brake caliper issue, you may find that the fwd rims will fit the awd, but not the other way around (awd on fwd) due to the front hub on the fwd.
A friend with a fwd Magnum tried my 18" rims from my awd, and they wouldn't seat on the front. Just something to consider if anyone is thinking of moving up to 18" from a awd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.