Cruise Control Issues - Dodge Caliber Forums
Dodge Caliber Dodge Caliber Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion

General Caliber Discussion This section is for anything related to the Dodge Caliber that does not fit in the more specific sections.

CaliberForums.com is the premier Dodge Caliber Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Points: 804, Level: 15 Points: 804, Level: 15 Points: 804, Level: 15
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cruise Control Issues

I am a new caliber owner, having purchased a stone white SXT model with the 2.0 engine a few weeks ago. I've been reading here for a few months, since I started considering the caliber.

Our first weekend out, we discovered that the cruise control doesn't work consistently. As a matter of fact, you have to stop, turn the car off, turn the key to accessory, and then activate the cruise control for it to work at all, and then it usually shuts itself off at will. It will not activate at all while the car is running.

That monday, we returned the car to the dealership, who said they'd fix it the same day and put me in a rental car. Well that didn't happen, nor did we get our car back the next day or the next, as they said they had to wait for a part. When I finally picked it up on friday, (having finally had the switch replaced) one block out of the parking lot, I tested the cruise control and it still didn't work.

Back to the dealership I went, only to be told that they don't have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it, and will have to wait until Detroit can advise them as it is probably a continuing problem with the model. (If it was a continuing problem with the model, wouldn't they already know this?) When I spoke with the service advisor both yesterday and today I was told that Detroit hasn't returned their calls or emails and they still don't have a clue how to fix my car so there's no point in bringing it in for service for the cruise control, or the outside temperature guage that stopped working yesterday.

To say I am frustrated would be putting it mildly. I wasn't frustrated with the initial problem...stuff happens...but the fact that the dealership kept my car for a full week and sent it out without even testing it to see if it was actually fixed, and now doesn't have a clue what's wrong is a little over the top for me. I guess my question is, has anyone else had these cruise control issues, and is it really a continuing problem with the caliber, or is the dealership just putting me off?

Thank you.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Re: Cruise Control Issues

First of all welcome to the forum,sorry to hear your having
a problem right off the lot.
There have been several posts in the past regarding the
cruise control however I only recall the switches(the one on
the end of CC stalk on/off) being defective and replaced
ending the problems.
I know you bought it at a certain dealer and have returned but
is there another within reasonable distance that may give a
second opinion!
Good luck and keep us informed.
-ordered 04/15/06-delivered 08/18/06
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. The switch you mentioned was replaced, but it definitely didn't solve the problem. I live in Phoenix so there are numerous dealers in my area, however the dealership I bought the car from has asked me to give them a chance to solve the problem. This is the last day I'm giving them, then I'll definitely be contacting another dealership to see if they can solve the issue. I was just wondering if this was a common problem with this car, as that is what the dealership implied.

Thanks for the welcome, and except for these couple of issues, I love the car!

Diana
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibergma
I am a new caliber owner, having purchased a stone white SXT model with the 2.0 engine a few weeks ago. I've been reading here for a few months, since I started considering the caliber.

Our first weekend out, we discovered that the cruise control doesn't work consistently. As a matter of fact, you have to stop, turn the car off, turn the key to accessory, and then activate the cruise control for it to work at all, and then it usually shuts itself off at will. It will not activate at all while the car is running.

That monday, we returned the car to the dealership, who said they'd fix it the same day and put me in a rental car. Well that didn't happen, nor did we get our car back the next day or the next, as they said they had to wait for a part. When I finally picked it up on friday, (having finally had the switch replaced) one block out of the parking lot, I tested the cruise control and it still didn't work.

Back to the dealership I went, only to be told that they don't have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it, and will have to wait until Detroit can advise them as it is probably a continuing problem with the model. (If it was a continuing problem with the model, wouldn't they already know this?) When I spoke with the service advisor both yesterday and today I was told that Detroit hasn't returned their calls or emails and they still don't have a clue how to fix my car so there's no point in bringing it in for service for the cruise control, or the outside temperature guage that stopped working yesterday.

To say I am frustrated would be putting it mildly. I wasn't frustrated with the initial problem...stuff happens...but the fact that the dealership kept my car for a full week and sent it out without even testing it to see if it was actually fixed, and now doesn't have a clue what's wrong is a little over the top for me. I guess my question is, has anyone else had these cruise control issues, and is it really a continuing problem with the caliber, or is the dealership just putting me off?

Thank you.

Diana
I have the same car, and my cruise works fine.

I'm trying to picture how this conversation went. If it were me, it would go something like this:

OK, so the service manager basically tells me he's sorry and he can't help me. Immediately, my right foot heads straight up his @$$. (You, as a woman, need to get up in his face. That will accomplish about the same thing. Men are easily intimidated by the opposite sex.) After I retract my foot, and now that I have his attention, I say "Let's go give Dodge a call. I'll wait." He says "No one is available". I say "Give me the phone." I hit redial, and someone on the other end gets red in the face because what I say would make a sailor blush. After some yelling, threats, and an adult temper tantrum I leave the dealer in a loaner and I am priority number 1. They now know that the next words I hear from them had better be "Sir, your car is finished."

You may need to call DCX corporate. Get names of people at the dealer, and sound like you are about to reach through the phone and strangle someone. I must say that I've never had this happen to me because of my initial approach. I'm friendly at first, but I can be a real jerk if someone tries to give me the shaft. I think you are being much too friendly. Reach down deep inside and think of all the times you've been stepped on, and then superimpose the service manager's face on all of those people. Works wonders for getting things done when people just won't take care of business. Remember, the top-paid guy at the dealership probably makes less $$$ than most of us.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 283,539, Level: 100 Points: 283,539, Level: 100 Points: 283,539, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Thanked 6,272 Times in 5,125 Posts

I dont know if this is the problem or not but the cruise only works over a certain speed (60km/h i think) so if you go slower than that it wont do anything. However if it is a switch probelm get the service manager or go higher (i did and now im getting amuch more attention and care given to me, its amazing what the owner will do for the quality of service that you receive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM

DDC Tech,

I am about to take your advice and get reaaaalllly nasty. Although I was nice and friendly the first time around, I haven't been quite so nice since now I can't even seem to get an appt for service scheduled. I did call around to a couple of other Dodge dealers in my area, but unfortunately the reply from both was that most likely they wouldn't be able to help me any better because it seems like a weird problem. Now I am really frustrated, and maybe the answer is to jump in my car, drive down there, and as you say, "Get in their face."

BTW, it is not a simple problem of not going the right speed to get the cruise to work. It won't go on at all if the car is started. The cruise light won't even come on.

Back to try to call a few more Dodge dealers. It may seem like a stupid thing to get bent about, but this is a brand new car and I want what I paid for to work.

Diana
Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 283,539, Level: 100 Points: 283,539, Level: 100 Points: 283,539, Level: 100

Quote:
It may seem like a stupid thing to get bent about, but this is a brand new car and I want what I paid for to work.

Diana
I'm still trying to get the foglights that i paid for installed correctly, almost 7 months after the fact so i know what you mean and completley agree with you.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Points: 28,788, Level: 99 Points: 28,788, Level: 99 Points: 28,788, Level: 99
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

I would also suggest to talk with the Service Manager and your Sales person as well. Whenever I make appointments (oil change service, etc.) I do it through my Sales person who is on top of it, after all they want your business again, sales wise. I would see the manager before and after the service for details. The manager will approve and expect a follow up of what was done. Next of course call the Corporate office.
BTW I have the cruise control with no problems at all.
Good Luck!

Kickers & Infinitys / Pistol Grip Shifter / Custom Overhead Console / Custom Intake & Exhaust / Mopar Header & Spoiler / MPx Polished Strut Tower Bar, Oil Cap & Black Headlights / Eyelids / Billet Antenna

neon R/T
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Quote:
DDC Tech,

I am about to take your advice and get reaaaalllly nasty. Although I was nice and friendly the first time around, I haven't been quite so nice since now I can't even seem to get an appt for service scheduled. I did call around to a couple of other Dodge dealers in my area, but unfortunately the reply from both was that most likely they wouldn't be able to help me any better because it seems like a weird problem. Now I am really frustrated, and maybe the answer is to jump in my car, drive down there, and as you say, "Get in their face."

BTW, it is not a simple problem of not going the right speed to get the cruise to work. It won't go on at all if the car is started. The cruise light won't even come on.

Back to try to call a few more Dodge dealers. It may seem like a stupid thing to get bent about, but this is a brand new car and I want what I paid for to work.

Diana
These cars have been rolling off the assembly lines for over a year now. Why does it sound like the dealers are not even prepared to service them?! As I mentioned before in another thread, my primary vehicle is a BMW. They know how to make a customer happy, so I have a very low tolerance for ineffective service departments. If they can't figure it out, then they need to start replacing modules until it works! I'd say "Don't let the car scare you, guys. Get out your tools and DO something!"
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC Tech
These cars have been rolling off the assembly lines for over a year now. Why does it sound like the dealers are not even prepared to service them?! As I mentioned before in another thread, my primary vehicle is a BMW. They know how to make a customer happy, so I have a very low tolerance for ineffective service departments. If they can't figure it out, then they need to start replacing modules until it works! I'd say "Don't let the car scare you, guys. Get out your tools and DO something!"
If only 5 star meant such a wonderful thing...

My dealer didnt know how to plug in my fog light harness, they had to call chrysler engineering. Gotta love it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion