Keys locked in the car! - Dodge Caliber Forums
Dodge Caliber Dodge Caliber Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion

General Caliber Discussion This section is for anything related to the Dodge Caliber that does not fit in the more specific sections.

CaliberForums.com is the premier Dodge Caliber Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Points: 463, Level: 9 Points: 463, Level: 9 Points: 463, Level: 9
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Keys locked in the car!

Locked my keys in the car this morning. Went out and started it and closed the door while I had my morning smoke and coffee. When I went to get back in the freaking doors were locked. Had to ring the door bell to get some one up so I could get my spare keys and open the door. I did not think it was possible to lock the keys in the car while the engine is running? I guess I inadvertinly hit the door lock after I took my hands off the key, however the horn did not sound. Any one else had this happen to them with their Caliber??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Re: ****!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar
Locked my keys in the car this morning. Went out and started it and closed the door while I had my morning smoke and coffee. When I went to get back in the freaking doors were locked. Had to ring the door bell to get some one up so I could get my spare keys and open the door. I did not think it was possible to lock the keys in the car while the engine is running? I guess I inadvertinly hit the door lock after I took my hands off the key, however the horn did not sound. Any one else had this happen to them with their Caliber??
YES! About 4 weeks ago. I swear in fact I am almost positive I did not lock the doors when I got out as I usually leave it running as it was a cold morning here in WV. Had to phone home to get the spare key.

Now I was keeping an extra key in my wallet but I don't like the feeling of it when I am sitting so I took it out and left it in my dorm room at school so I'd have an extra key there.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Points: 2,328, Level: 29 Points: 2,328, Level: 29 Points: 2,328, Level: 29
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

Out of habbit from working at an accessory shop installing Remote Starts and keyless entry I leave a door open or not closed completly OR a window cracked. IF the locks happen to lock themselves then I have access to push the unlock button with a hanger or the door is open already. I know its too late for this advice but next time you can use those tricks.

Don
85 Oldsmoblie Calais 500 1 of 2998
Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Points: 4,149, Level: 40 Points: 4,149, Level: 40 Points: 4,149, Level: 40
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

Send a message via AIM to '08 Caliber R/T

Hmmm...I didn't think the drivers side door would lock if the key was in the ignition. Weird!

My other website...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Points: 393, Level: 7 Points: 393, Level: 7 Points: 393, Level: 7
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

while i have a Compass and not a Caliber, i've never had that happen to me. but then again, i don't have power locks......

but i agree....keep a window 'cracked' or a plain key in your wallet. worked for me in the past....SEVERAL times!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Points: 10,077, Level: 67 Points: 10,077, Level: 67 Points: 10,077, Level: 67
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

The Caliber will not lock when the key is in the ignition and the engine shut off. But it will lock after the engine has been started. The Caliber won't lock at all using the remote when the key is in the ignition, regardless of whether the engine is on or off. But you can lock the door after you start the engine using either the lock button on the door or manually pushing the lock down.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K.
The Caliber will not lock when the key is in the ignition and the engine shut off. But it will lock after the engine has been started. The Caliber won't lock at all using the remote when the key is in the ignition, regardless of whether the engine is on or off. But you can lock the door after you start the engine using either the lock button on the door or manually pushing the lock down.
Pushing the lock button with the engine running does nothing on my car. The only way I can lock it is to push the lock down manually or lock it with the key after closing the door. The remote does nothing, either.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Points: 7,444, Level: 57 Points: 7,444, Level: 57 Points: 7,444, Level: 57
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

Re: Keys locked in the car!

I've found that the remote that comes with the Caliber seems like the easiest one I've ever handled to accidentally activate either the "lock" or "unlock" buttons just from normal handling.

At least once a week on the average, I've realized that just gripping the remote - and ESPECIALLY handling it as I insert it in the ignition switch - had pressed on one of the lock/unlock buttons.

Thus, I do the same as several other folks have already suggested - I ALWAYS keep a door open and/or have a window partially open (weather providing and as long as I'm staying right with the car, usually while loading something prior to entering the driver's door), and I maintain a spare key (as addressed in a few previous threads here) in my wallet.

I very frequently load gear, briefcases, etc in my Caliber in another door or the hatch first - so this is always a primary concern for me.

I've probably prevented dozens of lockouts by using these precautions and ALWAYS double-checking that the doors didn't accidentally lock with the remote before closing any doors and prior to actually sitting in the driver's seat.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Points: 10,077, Level: 67 Points: 10,077, Level: 67 Points: 10,077, Level: 67
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC Tech
Pushing the lock button with the engine running does nothing on my car. The only way I can lock it is to push the lock down manually or lock it with the key after closing the door. The remote does nothing, either.
Maybe I should clarify. The button on the door will not work if the door is open, even if the engine is running. Once the door is closed and the engine is running, the buttons will lock and unlock the door.

I once locked my keys in my Nissan. What happened then was, as I was clibming into the car, I bumped the lock button on the door. My Nissan will also not let me lock the door if the key is in the ignition and the door is open. But, since I had accidentally locked the door before putting the key in the ignition, it remained locked. When I stepped out and closed the door, I was locked out with a running engine.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Points: 635, Level: 12 Points: 635, Level: 12 Points: 635, Level: 12
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Send a message via MSN to Gardenfan
Re: Keys locked in the car!

Funny, shortly after I bought my caliber, I got a call to tow another for roadside assistance, pretty much identical to mine. So I get it to the dealership, and I am rolling it backwards off of my deck, and I have to offload it at an angle due to lack of room, so I open the door to turn the wheel a bit, before letting it roll back a little more. What happens when the car starts rolling? I watch the lock plunger go down and lock me out!

Well, thankfully(for me at the time) it takes about 3.5 seconds to break in to one haha. It was kind of embarassing at the time however, especially since I was dropping it at the dealership I bought my caliber at, and of course they all knew me there, and it did happen in a visible area lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion