Dodge Caliber Forums

Dodge Caliber Forums (https://www.caliberforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   How To Forum (https://www.caliberforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   no power to tail lights (https://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156437)

Mike Samansky 10-13-2019 08:15 PM

no power to tail lights

Hello everyone I'm new here and was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have 2007 Caliber. I bought it used. The other night someone stopped me and said my tail lights were out. No big deal I thought I'll just change the lamps. Well come to find out the lamps are good but I don't get any voltage to them when I turn on the headlights Has anybody had this issue before? Does anybody know where I might find a wiring diagram? Thanks

dbacon 10-17-2019 03:46 PM

I have the 2007 Caliber manual, and I am a qualified electronic technician, so I can help you, please respond.

Moc 10-18-2019 02:03 PM

Hello Mike

Here's your quick wiring diagram for tail lights and TIPM pinout: dropbox.com/s/3c58s0ymktvnmik/caliber%20tail%20lights.pdf?dl=0

There are no fuse or relay for tail lights all is done in Total Integrated Power Module so most probably your TIPM output for taillights is busted.
TIPM act like automatic fuse that cut power as long a short-circuit is detected and restore power once condition cleared. Therefore if you are lucky you can have a failed light bulb that went on short-circuit and once light-bulb replaced power is restored and will work. Yet if with light bulbs removed you still don't get any voltage to them you are looking at a faulty TIPM.
I've repaired lots of TIPM all you need is to replace the high side switch IC that correspond to taillights output , its $5 Freescale QFN power IC

Good luck

dbacon 10-19-2019 02:39 AM

Moc,

I gave you a "thanks" because that was a great answer. Now I hope our original poster shows up for your answer. My last few responses to the forum have been thoughtful and detailed, but the original person asking for help never returned!

Mike Samansky 10-19-2019 01:41 PM

Moc and dbacon,

Right on! thanks for the help. I have been having a problem logging on. But I got an email yesterday and that link got me on! Sweet. I Tried to reset the TIPM by disconnecting the battery and shorting the cables for 10 min. That didn't work and when I connected the battery back I found out I have a after market alarm. I was thinking that might be the problem.
I haven't tried your advise yet but I hope to get to it today. I will be sure to let you guys know what happens.
Thanks again.

dbacon 10-19-2019 10:57 PM

Good luck, and thanks for the follow-up!

Mike Samansky 10-20-2019 08:51 PM

Well I have no power to the tail lights and replacing the "high side switch IC that correspond to taillights output" looks to be outa my league. Soooo looks like I'm replacing the TIPM. I'm still trying to find out if the TIPM does or does not need to be programed by the dealer. Stay tuned.

Moc 10-21-2019 01:30 PM

Yes, Totally Integrated Problem Module is a well deserved nickname for good reason.
Despite of what a stealer may say you don't need to pay him a visit for programing a pre-owned TIPM.

dbacon 10-22-2019 06:45 AM

Moc,

Seems a shame he should pay $300 for a TIPM when you could either fix it for him or post a picture of what to replace. I searched and searched but could not find the IC you mentioned, only the manufacturer.

Mike Samansky 10-24-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbacon (Post 511397)
Moc,

Seems a shame he should pay $300 for a TIPM when you could either fix it for him or post a picture of what to replace. I searched and searched but could not find the IC you mentioned, only the manufacturer.

Haha That's cool thanks. I was just looking for some advise, I don't mind paying a fair price. I just don't want to get ripped off. Dealer said $1200. I found a company on line rebuilt $295 guaranteed and they said if it doesn't fix it I can return it. I'll let you know what happens.