Sound System Upgrade, Stock HU to MyGig.. Thoughts/Advice? - Dodge Caliber Forums
Audio / Visual Discussion Have questions regarding the sound system in the Dodge Caliber? Thinking of watching DVD's in your Caliber? This section is for the discussion of audio/visual items.

post #1 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr
Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Sound System Upgrade, Stock HU to MyGig.. Thoughts/Advice?

So, here is my plan at this point.. I have been searching the forum for a couple of weeks now, and some clairification on a few things would be greatly appreciated as well as any thoughts/advice on my audio upgrade plans.. Tax season is coming up..

My Ride:

2010 Caliber SXT w/ stock stereo Single Disc MP3, Sirius, Uconnect buttons, no uconnect module.

The Parts:

Alpine MRX-V60 5 Channel Amplifier - 75x4 RMS + 300x1 RMS @ 2ohms. (reviews show the Birth Certificate state it actually puts out over 100x4 and 400x1) Also has SPEAKER LEVEL INPUTS. As I plan to go with Mygig for the HU I would need this.

Alpine Type S/R 6x9's (doors)

Alpine Type S/R 10" Dual 2 Ohm voicecoils.

MyGig Navigation w/sirius

The plan:

Stage one... Upgrade the speakers to Alpine Type S 6x9's.. From what I've read this should be the easiest part.

Stage Two... Install the Amplifier and wire the speaker level inputs. I assume the stock speaker wires should be able to handle 75-100 watts RMS..

Stage Three... Add the Subwoofer to the cargo area. Still playing with the idea of building a custom box, or just a smaller sealed built box for the sub.. If I could find a used Stealthbox that would be an option as well. Or maybe build my own stealthbox.. we'll see.

Stage Four.. Could be swapped with Three haha... Install MyGig/rear view cam/mopar mic/ipod-iphone cable.

MY QUESTIONS....

Which MyGig will I need to look for that will allow me to keep my sirius and not install a second antena? (the sirius nav-traffic would be kind of nice as I have a bit of a commute)

Is there enough room under the dash to mount the amp? (it is fairly small, I believe 8x10x2 inches) If so, would the heat from the lower vents affect the amp much? Has anyone mounted an amp under the dash... or hidden anywhere besides under the passenger seat or spare tire area?

Can I install the Rear View Monitor in a 2010? (the only thing I could find regarding this was about the 07-08 and the lockpick, which I understand is not required on the 2010?)

Does anyone have Type S / R speakers/sub(s) installed? How do they sound once Installed? I know the sound can be slightly different once the speakers are in the vehicle, not in a cabinet at bestbuy lol

Also, any advice on going with the Type S vs Type R?

Any other advice, feedback from your current setup, or anything useful for me to check out/research would be great.

The goal is to go with a better than stock with almost no sign of the install. Which is why I would like to hide the amp and go with a MyGig for the HU.. and when I do add the sub, something stealth would be nice so the prying eyes dont see it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM
08sunburst
Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

The type r speakers are pretty good, but IMO there is better out there for less money that sounds better. I ran type r's in my old car(components in the front, coax in the rear) and they are POWER hungry speakers. You would NEED to get at least 75 RMS at 4Ohm to them.

The type s's are OK, but to me they sound too high pitched and almost tinny.

In my caliber ive got MbQuart components in the front, and coax in the rear, and i LOVE the way they sound(and their not amped).

Both pairs, plus the adapters for the components, cost me about 120 bucks from sonicelectronix.com

As for the amp mounting, the back of the back seat has ALWAYS been my location for the amp. Stays out of sight, dry and clean, and can be securely mounted without drilling through the floor.

You COULD mount it under the seat, but that normally never turns out well for the amp.

Stock wires should handle the power, but upgrading them WILL help out quite a bit. The stock wiring is pretty thin, and putting a bigger gauge will help improve the resistance(or lack thereof) and help deliver the proper amount of power from the amp to the speakers.

Another thing you might want to be careful of, is the depth of the speakers. The caliber has a weird mounting hole(half of it is covered to the shape of the factory speaker). I HAD to trim that away when I installed all four of my speakers. Nothing a dremel couldnt fix, just a tad time consuming.

"I just cant help thinking, thanks to all sorts of things, the environment, the economy, problems in the middle east, the relentless war on speed, cars like this will soon be consigned to the history books. I just have this horrible, dreadful feeling, what im driving here, is an ending..." - Jeremy Clarkson

Build Number-82666
post #3 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 PM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator
Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanked 6,278 Times in 5,131 Posts
Which MyGig will I need to look for that will allow me to keep my sirius and not install a second antena? (the sirius nav-traffic would be kind of nice as I have a bit of a commute)

There are two basic types of Mygigs:
  • The RER/RHR with everything inside of them (Separate Sirius and uConnect modules not required) but they both have navigation.
  • The REN/RBZ/RHB which require separate Sirius and uConnect modules. Of which, only the RHB has navigation.

You can find more info on the mygig radios here - https://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11728

You don't need a second antenna for your Sirius, but if you already have it, and depending on which mygig you choose, you may need an antenna splitter and/or extension cable.

Only the RER and RHR mygigs offer traffic.

Can I install the Rear View Monitor in a 2010? (the only thing I could find regarding this was about the 07-08 and the lockpick, which I understand is not required on the 2010?)

I don't see why not, as long as you order a regular lockpick, and not the lockpick adapter. The mygig will be a plug and play install in the 2009+ Calibers, however, to add the rear camera you will still need a regular lockpick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT | 1.8L 5-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
So say I go with an RER/RHR... where would I find the required cable to enable my sirius?

Also, will the lockpick V.4 work fine?

My goal in the end would be to help the value of my vehicle, having all of the feature functional would obviously be a plus... Knowing that you can switch the lockpick to "dealer" settings to disable the DVD while driving would be a plus if I happend to trade it in to a dealer in the future.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 AM
08sunburst
Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberrrr View Post
So say I go with an RER/RHR... where would I find the required cable to enable my sirius?

My goal in the end would be to help the value of my vehicle, having all of the feature functional would obviously be a plus... Knowing that you can switch the lockpick to "dealer" settings to disable the DVD while driving would be a plus if I happend to trade it in to a dealer in the future.
That i have no idea about. I know a couple other people on here would know though. I put an aftermarket unit in mine, and depending on how my caliber goes, ill either leave it in, or take it out when its time to trade/sell it.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator
Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100

Quote:

You can look here for a HOW-TO for now until I get a chance to write this whole thing up in good form - http://www.calibersrt4.net/diy-forum...stall-how.html

The lockpick v.4 will be good.

Of note - if you have a manual transmission, the in motion stuff doesn't seem to really work.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
I have the 2.0 CVT, so that should be fine. I found a seller on ebay that sells the RER with a "hardware mod" so the ipod/iphone will work? I think I would rather use the ipod out function on the lockpick though. full screen video/controls for music.. heck yesssss
post #8 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
So would the Sat receiver for my 2010 be in the cargo area as well? I dont have the EVIC so I don't believe I would need a splitter.. I plan on running a lockpick + backup camera though, so I could run all those wires then.

I wish there was a good write up for all of this with pictures on a 2010+ Caliber.. If my plans go well I will make sure to take lots of pictures
The Following User Says Thank You to caliberrrr For This Useful Post:
UN4GTBL (12-21-2011)
post #9 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have the 2.0 CVT, so that should be fine. I found a seller on ebay that sells the RER with a "hardware mod" so the ipod/iphone will work? I think I would rather use the ipod out function on the lockpick though. full screen video/controls for music.. heck yesssss
Not sure what the "hardware mod" is, so I can't comment on that.

Quote:
So would the Sat receiver for my 2010 be in the cargo area as well? I dont have the EVIC so I don't believe I would need a splitter.. I plan on running a lockpick + backup camera though, so I could run all those wires then.

I wish there was a good write up for all of this with pictures on a 2010+ Caliber.. If my plans go well I will make sure to take lots of pictures
I assume its in the same spot. If no EVIC, than no splitter needed.

Pictures would be very helpful for others.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
Have you used the Lockpick CHR550 yourself? Am I correct in thinking the only difference between it and the V.4 is the iPod cable/iPod out mode and extra inputs for side cameras ?

I'm curious how the iPod out would work..

The ebay seller wrote me back saying that only certain RER's were compatible with the iPod cable.. his price is $900 shipped for just the RER... if the lockpick gives me the same functionality I would rather find a cheaper RER and add lockpick... I guess this guy updates all the gracenotes and everything though before shipping.. ahhhhh so many variations lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Audio / Visual Discussion