Radar Detector wired into the light above the mirror - Dodge Caliber Forums
General Caliber Discussion This section is for anything related to the Dodge Caliber that does not fit in the more specific sections.

post #1 of 8 Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
caliberrrr
Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11 Points: 565, Level: 11
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Radar Detector wired into the light above the mirror

I have hard-wired my radar detector (Rocky Mountain Radar Laser Scrambler) into the lighting above my Mirror. I can't stand wires going all over my dash..

It was really simple actually, the only downfall the I found is that due to (I'm assuming) the way that the lighting/can-bus system is on the caliber once you pull the key out of the ignition the power drops to about 4 volts and the detector just beeps randomly until I turn it off.

Now, I'm not looking for constant power but maybe a way to either cut power to the radar detector once the voltage drops below.. say 10 volts OR I will just wire it directly into an accessory the fuse box and use the dome light's ground wire.

For now, I just keep it off unless I'm on the freeway and turn it on when needed/wanted.

If anyone has an Idea for the voltage regulator thought please let me know I can post pics if anyone cares to see how I have done it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
I think I have decided that I will just run a wire up from the fuse box at some point. I will probably just use the existing ground wire. I've spoken to a couple of the electricians where I work (I work at a data center) and they've advised me that would be the best way.. which I knew, I just didn't want to take anything apart if I didn't have to lol
post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
08sunburst
Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Wire it to the cigarette lighter plug, its an accessory wire that turns on and off with the car, no messing around under the hood and running all those wires that far.

Here's mine:

Note the mute/power/alert controller under my in-dash

kinda see it better, but before i painted the radio surround..

"I just cant help thinking, thanks to all sorts of things, the environment, the economy, problems in the middle east, the relentless war on speed, cars like this will soon be consigned to the history books. I just have this horrible, dreadful feeling, what im driving here, is an ending..." - Jeremy Clarkson

Build Number-82666

Last edited by 08sunburst; 12-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
I have a 2010, so my dash/bezel is a little different. I plan on running the wire accross the headliner and down behind the dash. I think there is a smaller fuse panel under the dash... am I wrong? I have not looked for it yet. I've been too busy working overtime lol

I will snap some shots of the location I mounted mine. It looks like yours is mounted below the mirror? more in the middle of the windshield?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 AM
08sunburst
Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberrrr View Post
I have a 2010, so my dash/bezel is a little different. I plan on running the wire accross the headliner and down behind the dash. I think there is a smaller fuse panel under the dash... am I wrong? I have not looked for it yet. I've been too busy working overtime lol

I will snap some shots of the location I mounted mine. It looks like yours is mounted below the mirror? more in the middle of the windshield?
The only fuse panel that i know of on the caliber is under the hood. I ran my wire across the headliner, down the passenger side b pillar, below the dash and right to the cigarette lighter plug. The cigarette lighter plug turns on and off with the car, so tapping the wires there will make the detector turn on and off with the car.

Mine is about 2 inches below the mirror. The higher the detector, the better view it has of behind you(hopefully your detector has a rear facing sensor as well) and the better range it will get from standard radar guns. The lower down on the windshield, the better it will pick up laser/lidar. The only problem with picking up laser/lidar is once that goes off, they already have your speed, so im not too worried about slightly diminished laser/lidar detection. Ive had my detector pick up laser/lidar from a couple miles away, on rare occasions where an officer is shooting further down the road.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, Mine does have the rear sensor. It is a Rocky Mountain Radar LASER Scrambler. So far it has been great for me. I don't haul a** everywhere like I used to when I was younger. But most of the time when I was pulled over, I just didnt realize I was doing 5-10 over. Nice to have that "hey, pay attention" alert.. Also the "hey, slow down but don't hit your brakes cuz your being hit with radar and I'm jamming it" one is pretty cool too lol

I'm going to look up under the dash one of these days.. Since you have been up under yours, I'm curious if I have enough room up under my passenger side to build a bracket of some sort to mount an amp? The amp is fairly small in size.. only 2" in height. and I think like 8"x10". Speaker level inputs so that would be great if I could mount it under the dash somewhere.. semi "accessible" would be nice lol
post #7 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
08sunburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberrrr View Post
Yeah, Mine does have the rear sensor. It is a Rocky Mountain Radar LASER Scrambler. So far it has been great for me. I don't haul a** everywhere like I used to when I was younger. But most of the time when I was pulled over, I just didnt realize I was doing 5-10 over. Nice to have that "hey, pay attention" alert.. Also the "hey, slow down but don't hit your brakes cuz your being hit with radar and I'm jamming it" one is pretty cool too lol

I'm going to look up under the dash one of these days.. Since you have been up under yours, I'm curious if I have enough room up under my passenger side to build a bracket of some sort to mount an amp? The amp is fairly small in size.. only 2" in height. and I think like 8"x10". Speaker level inputs so that would be great if I could mount it under the dash somewhere.. semi "accessible" would be nice lol
Eh, there really isnt a whole lot of room under there. I was going to try to put my indash's external box on the passenger side behind the dash and it wouldnt fit anywhere.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
caliberrrr

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm... I just posted my complete plan for my audio upgrade at this point over in the audio/video thread fyi.. open for input lol

I could mount in on the floor under my passenger seat but I have kids.. and kids spill.. and amplifiers don't like that as far as I knew...

I thought about maybe finding/building a "spill tray" or box (with vents on the top for cooling) so that when/if my kids spill or I go snowboarding it won't damage the amp.. plug it will be hidden from any eyes that *might* see it.. I live in apartments and I don't want anything visible lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion