for those who are afraid of getting too liud of an exhaust - Dodge Caliber Forums
Performance: Caliber SRT4 Specific Discuss performance modifications for your Caliber SRT4 in this is the section

post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
HIGHBRED8
Super Moderator
Points: 44,632, Level: 100 Points: 44,632, Level: 100 Points: 44,632, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,512 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HIGHBRED8 Send a message via MSN to HIGHBRED8
(Thread Starter)
Talking for those who are afraid of getting too liud of an exhaust

ive had e.d's tbe on my car since about march. it was a full alumized tbe with no cats no muffler and just a magnaflow resonator in the mid section. it was loud, very loud. using the uconnect outside of cruisng speeds was pointles as no one could hear you, using it at cruising speed required me to speak loudly and everyone complained about all the drone they heard over the phone. driving it was fun at first but quickly became annoying too, radio volume had to be way up to be able to hear it well, people hated the back seat because of how loud it was when i acclerated etc. anyway bottom line it was way too loud for the car to be enjoyable. imo when you hear so much noise inside it makes the car feel cheap and of poor quality. an exhaust note inside a car should be there with exhaust but should also be subtle. on idle and heavy accel outside the car kinda sounded like a super bike, and didnt have the nice deep clean sound i wanted.

so for christmas my sister and brother inlaw paid to have another resonator put on the car. i went to the shop yesterday, the guy had never seen another csrt so he spoke with me and took the time to listen to the car and talk about what i wanted as far as loudness and performance. my initial want was something along the lines of a 18" long 6" round magnaflow can style muffler in the rear section. after looking at it her said hecould totally tuck in the pipe so you wouldnt see it below the bumper anymore and recommended a straight through magnaflow 14" pancake style mufler. he showed me it and it was totally straight through and could be hidden better than the can style. so i went with that.

an hour later i went to get my car and i gotta say i could not be happier. just adding that muffler which i just cant see it being restrictive at all made the car barely any louder than stock. outside the car sounds way deeper than before. it a deep low growl thats very clean and smooth, something like youd expect from an inline 6. some burbles on decel around 1500 so it still has the aftermarket sound but just much better and cleaner. inside when you start the car its barely louder than stock. something like a stock nsrt would sound line stock inside. on the uconect everyone said they couldnt even hear the exhaust, my radio doenst have to be cranked up and im no longer yelling to my passenger.

i cant see any change in performance, nothing rattles any more, its just exactly what i wanted.

so anyone who was scared of getting exhaust because they though it would be too loud, this is the set up for you. 3" tbe with 1 magnaflow resonator and 1 14" suitcase style magnaflow muffler.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HIGHBRED8 For This Useful Post:
grimmey71 (12-30-2008), theredfox (02-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
icemanthrilla
Points: 28,060, Level: 98 Points: 28,060, Level: 98 Points: 28,060, Level: 98
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1,220 Times in 907 Posts
Re: for those who are afraid of getting too liud of an exhaust

some vid clips would be nice. sounds like ur happy. good for you. enjoy your christmas mod.

p.s. you know your car is REALLY loud when family members have to buy you exhaust pieces. haha!

08 Dodge Caliber srt4 group2

REALTUNE sticker!! lol
MOPAR stage 1-blow off plate-sway bars
AGP fmic-intake
MPx black headlights-strutbar-shorty ant
EIBACH drop springs
MAXXFAB downpipe w/cat
MSR 093's 20 x 8.5 in 245/35 rubber
KICKER 6x9's
TINT new dd!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
SRTD
Points: 2,213, Level: 28 Points: 2,213, Level: 28 Points: 2,213, Level: 28
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Do you happen to have the part #

MPS1 MAXXFAB DP Custom Muffler Delete MPX Motor Inserts

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 PM
[email protected]
Points: 39,041, Level: 100 Points: 39,041, Level: 100 Points: 39,041, Level: 100

Thanked 2,150 Times in 856 Posts

Oh yea.....you for sure need a muffler. We rock the ED turbo back with a magnaflow muffler and its perfect IMO.

Maxxfabs also includes a magnaflow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of the Worlds Quickest 3 Caliber SRT4s

{[email protected] Gizmo Caliber }{[email protected] Realtune Caliber}{[email protected] Whoosh Caliber}

1st Caliber in the 11s
1st with two 11 second Caliber builds
1st with three 11 second Caliber builds
1st to tune an over 500whp Caliber
1st to tune two over 500whp Calibers

95 products for your Caliber SRT4 :

post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
JMCSRT4
Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

I had to go with two magnaflow straight-through 3 inch oval mufflers to get the exhaust quieted down. I did one at first but that was not enough. I think the 3 inch piping on this car makes the exhaust pretty loud. With the two mufflers it is very quiet and not likely restrictive as I used mufflers with 3 inch cores. I think one is 14 inches long and the other is 18 inches long. works good.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
nd4spd 4 a srt4
Points: 7,511, Level: 57 Points: 7,511, Level: 57 Points: 7,511, Level: 57
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Send a message via AIM to nd4spd 4 a srt4 Send a message via MSN to nd4spd 4 a srt4

I have 2 magnaflow mufflers 1 round and 1 oval with tip and the car is still loud inside the cabin. It's not as bad as it was with no mufflers but I can't stand it. Im thinking of adding a High flow cat but I don't want to loose the turbo spool time from a cat.

bye bye caliber
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 PM
JMCSRT4
Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd 4 a srt4 View Post
I have 2 magnaflow mufflers 1 round and 1 oval with tip and the car is still loud inside the cabin. It's not as bad as it was with no mufflers but I can't stand it. Im thinking of adding a High flow cat but I don't want to loose the turbo spool time from a cat.
mine is almost as quiet as stock with two mufflers, but I still have the stock cats, I think magnaflow's oval mufflers are quieter than their round ones though . They say a good quality high flow metallic cat - offered by ED, Modern, and Maxxfab - have very little restriction and the losses wouldn't be noticeable to most people.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
HIGHBRED8
Super Moderator
Points: 44,632, Level: 100 Points: 44,632, Level: 100 Points: 44,632, Level: 100

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,512 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HIGHBRED8 Send a message via MSN to HIGHBRED8
(Thread Starter)

yeah i like it allot like this. its not quiet by any means but then again the car isnt ment to be quiet. i was aiming for free flow but not obnoxious. id say its 20-30% louder than stock at most.

i dont have a part number but i cant imagine magnaflow makes a million straight through 14" suitcase style mufflers. ill try and get a sound clip but it will have to be off my phone so i dont know how good it will sound.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 PM
Mato
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHBRED8 View Post
ive had e.d's tbe on my car since about march. it was a full alumized tbe with no cats no muffler and just a magnaflow resonator in the mid section. it was loud, very loud. using the uconnect outside of cruisng speeds was pointles as no one could hear you, using it at cruising speed required me to speak loudly and everyone complained about all the drone they heard over the phone. driving it was fun at first but quickly became annoying too, radio volume had to be way up to be able to hear it well, people hated the back seat because of how loud it was when i acclerated etc. anyway bottom line it was way too loud for the car to be enjoyable. imo when you hear so much noise inside it makes the car feel cheap and of poor quality. an exhaust note inside a car should be there with exhaust but should also be subtle. on idle and heavy accel outside the car kinda sounded like a super bike, and didnt have the nice deep clean sound i wanted.

so for christmas my sister and brother inlaw paid to have another resonator put on the car. i went to the shop yesterday, the guy had never seen another csrt so he spoke with me and took the time to listen to the car and talk about what i wanted as far as loudness and performance. my initial want was something along the lines of a 18" long 6" round magnaflow can style muffler in the rear section. after looking at it her said hecould totally tuck in the pipe so you wouldnt see it below the bumper anymore and recommended a straight through magnaflow 14" pancake style mufler. he showed me it and it was totally straight through and could be hidden better than the can style. so i went with that.

an hour later i went to get my car and i gotta say i could not be happier. just adding that muffler which i just cant see it being restrictive at all made the car barely any louder than stock. outside the car sounds way deeper than before. it a deep low growl thats very clean and smooth, something like youd expect from an inline 6. some burbles on decel around 1500 so it still has the aftermarket sound but just much better and cleaner. inside when you start the car its barely louder than stock. something like a stock nsrt would sound line stock inside. on the uconect everyone said they couldnt even hear the exhaust, my radio doenst have to be cranked up and im no longer yelling to my passenger.

i cant see any change in performance, nothing rattles any more, its just exactly what i wanted.

so anyone who was scared of getting exhaust because they though it would be too loud, this is the set up for you. 3" tbe with 1 magnaflow resonator and 1 14" suitcase style magnaflow muffler.
Is there a reason you wouldn't want to use a Magnaflow 3" Turbo Muffler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Performance Discussion > Performance: Caliber SRT4 Specific