Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Clay Bar??Too Soon??

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dytsrt 
#1 ·
I have an 09, Black, bought the paint protection from Dodge when I bought the car. It's some sor of wax the apply. The water still beads off her after washing. Can I still claybar or will it strip the paint protection off?

#2 · (Edited)
Claybar will strip it. However its probably just a polymer paint sealant, pretty generic ...basically one of those synthetic wax stuffs.

Clay bar it if you want, just wax it when your done.

If your really into detailing your car, I recommend:
Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer its a carnauba polymer mix=awesome stuff,
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, <both of these can be found on amazon.com
...or a little more on the cheaper side: Meguiars gold class paste wax.
:beerchug:

#9 ·
#3 ·
To test your paint to see how rough it is, take a thin piece of plastic over your finger and rub it lightly across the paint. Something thin like a grocery store bag or the wrapper on cigarettes. If you feel little particles on your paint then clay bar it. Clay bar might remove the coating but I wouldn't worry about it. I would rather have zaino on my car then the stuff Dodge uses.

#4 ·
I used a Clay Bar (Zymol Yellow bar) on my 08 SRT Metallic Black, which I just purchased in Oct 09.

The ONLY reason to have done this was because the car sat on the dealer lot for 18 months. That means the paint was exposed to some rather harsh conditions. The bar was pulling putrid **** BROWN ... stuff out of the paint. To say nothing of simply how sand-paperish the paint felt.

In any event, I would suggest that you read the following site to gleam as much knowledge as you can. It's a fantastic source!

http://www.autopia.org/

Enjoy

PS - Yes, after I finished the clay bar, pre-cleaner, and waxing, the paint returned to a fantastic luster, sheen and depth of color. I used the P21S 100% carnauba wax (silver lid).

#6 ·
Speaking of clay bar'ing a car... I clay bar'd, buffed, and waxed my friend's tacoma this week. He hadn't waxed it since he bought it... 5+ years ago, and it sits next to a factory. Talk about rough paint, it was about as smooth as 400 grit sandpaper and had the shine of a chalkboard. I started on it at about 6pm and finished around 2am, got it to a smooth shine, amazingly.
end of story: I love clay bars.

#8 ·
Personally I never purchase the "dealer wax" package. It's a gimmick in my opinion and a rip off. You can wax the car yourself and have much better results.

Like said above, if the paint feels rough then it needs a clay bar.

Here's my favorite products forum. They have tons of info and can answer any question you have about detailing your car.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.