Wrecked 2007 Caliber SE :( BUT Got a 2011 Caliber Mainstreet - Dodge Caliber Forums
General Caliber Discussion This section is for anything related to the Dodge Caliber that does not fit in the more specific sections.

post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Calibershark7
Points: 7,151, Level: 56 Points: 7,151, Level: 56 Points: 7,151, Level: 56
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Calibershark7 Send a message via Yahoo to Calibershark7
(Thread Starter)
Wrecked 2007 Caliber SE :( BUT Got a 2011 Caliber Mainstreet

Well, on 12-15-2010, the St. Louis area got some really dangerous ice. I was driving home from work after 8:30pm and took the wrong way to get home. Instead of taking the safe, less hilly way, I stupidly took my usual route through Alton's hilliest area. I was on a hill and trying to stop at a stop sign and slid through the stop sign and the next hill I slid down is brick and it was all untreated. As soon as I was sliding down the brick hill, I picked up speed and while the cross-street was flat, I knew I was headed for the 2 foot high wall. What scared me the most was the speed and the fact that I wasn't sure if I'd got through the wall or over it or just be stopped. I tried to turn the vehicle, but there was just no turning it. After hitting the wall, my poor Caliber was exactly parallel to the wall and there was about two or three feet between the car and the wall. Luckily, I walked away with minor injuries; a bruised palm, a couple of scratches on one of my fingers, a bruise on my shoulder, and a bruise on my chest/sternum. The insurance took a week to get out to look at the car and deemed it a total loss. I had 98,422 miles on it, so I definitely understood why they said it was a total loss. The front bumper was jammed into the engine area on the driver's side and the front right fender was slightly pushed back, enough to make the passenger door scrape the fender when opened or closed. The driver's side door and fender were fine from what I could tell. The damage to the front end is what totalled it. Anyway, I'm getting enough from the insurance company to pay off the loan and put a decent down payment on the new Caliber I just got today.

So, I was originally looking for another 2007, but by the time I got all the way out to the dealership that had the Steel Blue SXT that I wanted, it was already gone. I was almost as upset about that as I was when they said mine was a total loss. After some thought and advice from my dad, I went to a dealership a bit closer to home and looked at the 2011s they had on the lot. I was dead set on getting another blue one and after the research I did online last week, I really liked the Blackberry Pearl that they had. It is a much darker blue than the Steel Blue, but it is an amazing color. I've been unemployed and working part-time for almost two years and was worried I wouldn't be able to get a loan or even drive the car off the lot until I got the money from the insurance company. Therefore, I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when the loan went through and they said that I could write them a check for the amount I intended to put down on the vehicle. They said they can hold the check until I call them and tell them the money is definitely in my account. I was shocked! I still think that somehow it's too good to be true and something bad is going to happen. Therefore, I would appreciate hearing your input on the situation and what you all think of the whole "holding the check" thing. Have I ever mentioned I worry about almost everything? I'll post pics of the wrecked Caliber and the new Caliber as soon as I get them on my computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blackberry 2011 Dodge Caliber Mainstreet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM
DRHEMI
Points: 24,196, Level: 94 Points: 24,196, Level: 94 Points: 24,196, Level: 94
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

Location: At the tracks with his 13 sec car...running 14s LOL
Wow good thing you got away from it with only minor injuries. Sad to hear about the Caliber though...

I was gonna say now would be a good time to upgrade to a SRT4! but you already got another Caliber...

and since its new....we are going to fall back on tradition and say...

PICS or BAN

glad you are ok though

post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator
Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanked 6,278 Times in 5,131 Posts
Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the new Caliber goers through ok. Dealers can do some pretty creative accounting to push deals through, especially as you are near the end of the month.

Looking forward to the pics of both.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT | 1.8L 5-Speed

|

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
08sunburst
Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100 Points: 30,947, Level: 100

Dealers will hold a check for you no problems, depends on how decent of a dealer they are though.

When i bought my car, i traded in my 01 focus, which was worth about 2k(accident history) and i still owed 4k on it. They paid that off, and gave me dealer cost on the caliber.

It also helped that one of my friends at the time was working for the dealer, and i had also driven about 40 miles to the dealer he worked at, instead of driving the 5 minutes to the local dealer.

"I just cant help thinking, thanks to all sorts of things, the environment, the economy, problems in the middle east, the relentless war on speed, cars like this will soon be consigned to the history books. I just have this horrible, dreadful feeling, what im driving here, is an ending..." - Jeremy Clarkson

Build Number-82666
post #5 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
21drfrank
Points: 2,265, Level: 28 Points: 2,265, Level: 28 Points: 2,265, Level: 28
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

What did the insurance company give you for the car?
post #6 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Calibershark7

Send a message via MSN to Calibershark7 Send a message via Yahoo to Calibershark7
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21drfrank View Post
What did the insurance company give you for the car?

They're giving me $7676; it had 98,422 miles on it. I still owed $4400 or so for my loan, so they paid that off and I'm getting $3199 or something like that. So, $2500 of that goes to the dealership where I got my new Caliber and the rest will be saved or something like that.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator
Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100 Points: 442,339, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibershark7 View Post
They're giving me $7676; it had 98,422 miles on it. I still owed $4400 or so for my loan, so they paid that off and I'm getting $3199 or something like that. So, $2500 of that goes to the dealership where I got my new Caliber and the rest will be saved or something like that.
that worked out not too bad for you
post #8 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Calibershark7

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
that worked out not too bad for you

Yeah, it was a pretty smooth transition too. My rental was a 2011 Chevy Malibu and it seemed like it had been driven to the edge and back. It had more than 31,000 miles on it when I picked it up. A piece of plastic decor on a little door to a small storage compartment came off when I touched it and after a week the gauge began to tell me to change the oil soon. It had volume control on the steering wheel and it was pretty nice, but I felt even more short than normal in it; I'm only about 5 foot 2 to begin with. I felt like I was sitting really low in it and I definitely wasn't used to the length of it. So, I'm sure you can imagine my excitement of being back in a Caliber after two weeks of driving the Malibu. I got a call from Allstate today, they said they received my paperwork for signing over the old Caliber and that the money should be in my account in a couple of days.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibershark7 View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty smooth transition too. My rental was a 2011 Chevy Malibu and it seemed like it had been driven to the edge and back. It had more than 31,000 miles on it when I picked it up. A piece of plastic decor on a little door to a small storage compartment came off when I touched it and after a week the gauge began to tell me to change the oil soon. It had volume control on the steering wheel and it was pretty nice, but I felt even more short than normal in it; I'm only about 5 foot 2 to begin with. I felt like I was sitting really low in it and I definitely wasn't used to the length of it. So, I'm sure you can imagine my excitement of being back in a Caliber after two weeks of driving the Malibu. I got a call from Allstate today, they said they received my paperwork for signing over the old Caliber and that the money should be in my account in a couple of days.
thats good.

does your caliber have the steering wheel controls too? (they are on the back of the wheel)

my parents van has them and i love them. in fact i habitually go for them in my car too, but i dont have them
post #10 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Calibershark7

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
thats good.

does your caliber have the steering wheel controls too? (they are on the back of the wheel)

my parents van has them and i love them. in fact i habitually go for them in my car too, but i dont have them
Nope, they'd be nice to have, but I opted for a lower price rather than all the bells and whistles. I don't have the tire pressure monitor, the compass, or uconnect. I don't really need them though; I have a digital tire gauge that I usually keep in my car, I was a geography major (I usually know which direction I'm driving), and I don't use bluetooth outside of the car so why would I need it in the car. I've got an earpiece for handsfree long trips and for me a long trip is when I drive for more than an hour. I'm sure they had fully loaded Calibers on their lot, but I wanted my monthly payment under $250 and I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > General Caliber Discussion