Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen any reviews of the Caliber with the 2.0L engine and CVT?
How about 0-60 Time of 2.0L Engine w/CVT?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I want the SXT Sport w/2.0L and CVT or the FWD R/T w/2.4L and CVT. I would have to get which ever one I choose with all available options as I don't like when there are blank spaces where an option should be on the interior.

Is the extra 14hp with the R/T worth the extra $$ (approx. $2000 extra)??

After the first fiasco in attempting to order this car I do not want any mistakes made this time.

Any help or insight is appreciated. I know this might be somewhat subjective but anyone's opinions are fine.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
Has anyone seen any reviews of the Caliber with the 2.0L engine and CVT?
How about 0-60 Time of 2.0L Engine w/CVT?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I want the SXT Sport w/2.0L and CVT or the FWD R/T w/2.4L and CVT. I would have to get which ever one I choose with all available options as I don't like when there are blank spaces where an option should be on the interior.

Is the extra 14hp with the R/T worth the extra $$ (approx. $2000 extra)??

After the first fiasco in attempting to order this car I do not want any mistakes made this time.

Any help or insight is appreciated. I know this might be somewhat subjective but anyone's opinions are fine.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10978/2007-dodge-caliber-se.html
....All that power didn’t win us over, either. There’s torque steer and axle tramp in hard launches, helped not at all by abrupt clutch takeup. It took 9.7 seconds to achieve 60 mph, 1.3 seconds longer than the last manual-trans Neon we tested. And the engine edges into thrashiness at high revs, the noisiest at WOT. We’d tell you exactly where the racket began, but our Caliber had no tach.
Thats for the SE with a stick.... next is the 2.4 w/CVT
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10762/2007-dodge-caliber-page2.html
Transmissions: continuously variable auto-matic with manumatic shifting, 5-speed manual
Wheelbase: 103.7 in
Length/width/height: 173.8/68.8/60.4 in
Curb weight: 3000–3350 lb
Performance ratings (C/D est):
Zero to 60 mph: 8.5–9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.5–17.0 sec
Keep in mind those were estimates as they didn't have that model on hand for the test

·
Registered
143 Posts
Doing my own tests on an out of the way highway with a stopwatch, I garnered 8.6s 0-60. However, subsequent testing revealed that the caliber launch is a difficult thing to master... over the course of 4 runs I recorded 0-60 times of 8.6s 9.3s 10.4s 8.2s. See the thing is, if you don't work the pedal just right off a dead start, and don't add pressure to the pedal at just the right times, you end up with a sub par time. This is most assuredly the result of the electronic throttle control in the caliber that does most of the "thinking" for you. Here is the best example I can think of to describe what I mean...

From a dead stop:
A) Depress the pedal instantly through the "click" zone and right to the floor and your rpm's climb slowly to about 4500 then rocket to 6000
B) Use swift but constant pressure to reach half pedal movement, then a split second later approach the click zone on the pedal, then at 4000 rpm push the pedal into the click zone and it will shoot to redline..

The diffrence between A and B is that method B will put you in the 8s range whereas method A places you in the 10s range. The "click zone" is my way of reffering to the mechanism on the gas pedal in the caliber in wich when you near the floor you will feel heavy resistance almost like the pedal does not want to travel any further, and will lock the car at about 5300rpm, pressing harder and further will garner a clicking feeling from the pedal and will allow you to redline the engine".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the cvt is very unique when talking about throttle response and how it ramps itself up.. it's best to almost ease the throttle up manually till the mid 4k's in rpm before flooring it then it is to floor it right off the bat, you will notice a smoother transition of power that way and you won't be so shocked when you punch it off the line and it takes a second or three for the rpm's to reach redline.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=229
1.8 petrol 5-speed manual: 0-60 12.2 seconds; top speed 118 mph; combined mpg 38.7; CO2 emissions 174g/km (Band E petrol £150pa VED), Emissions Category Euro IV. Insurance Group 7E

2.0 petrol CVT: 0-60 10.7 seconds; top speed 125 mph; combined mpg 34.9; CO2 emissions 192g/km (Band F petrol £190pa VED), Emissions Category Euro IV. Insurance Group 8E

2.0 diesel 6-speed manual: 0-60 8.8 seconds; top speed 115 mph; combined mpg 47.1; CO2 emissions 161g/km (Band D diesel £135pa VED), Emissions Category Euro IV, Insurance Group 8E.
From the UK

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Man you are in the same boat I have been in since January!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::D

Took me six months to figure what color I want on my Caliber...lol...White!:D

Not sure of 0-60 with 2.0L CVT2, but in the ball park of 8.5 +/-(tenth) seconds, when fully broken-in I think is a pretty good guess. 2.4L FWD R/T broken in should be on par with, do I dare say and compare, to the beloved Neon. Again, remember that is just a guess, maybe an educated one!:D

Being that the FWD R/T does not have the extra weight and drag that the AWD adds (Minus 200-300lbs), I believe it will "act" like the R/T model should as some have put it.

Remember you get 2.4L Engine, Front and Rear disc brakes, 18" wheels and I believe Autostick with the FWD drive model as well, for the extra $2,000.

2.0L CVT2 26/30
2.4L CVT2 25/29 (another educated guess, being the estimated MPG for 5-Speed FWD R/T was 26/31)

-Joe-

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
yea but sometimes car mags aren't the best things to rely on totally.. as has been discussed acceleration improves with break in on the calibers.. and who would know better then the people who drive them everyday ;) also the 2.0L is 158hp not 150.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I performed the official stopwatch speed trial 0-60 (2.0/CVT) and got 8-9 seconds each time (with one other passenger).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
12am said:
yea but sometimes car mags aren't the best things to rely on totally.. as has been discussed acceleration improves with break in on the calibers.. and who would know better then the people who drive them everyday ;) also the 2.0L is 158hp not 150.
Yes and no... not all the cars have green motors when they come in (for the test) as that effect isn't exclusive to the caliber... in most cases every engine will perform at its optimal level after a break in period, some engines are very well known for it (i.e. the rotary in the RX-8... it ran several 10ths faster in the quarter mile after being broken in on the long term test - C&D).

I see they (MSN) also have the 2.4 listed as 2.0... point is as a general rule of thumb magazine test data is the most reliable as it is corrected for temperature, humidity and altitude etc. so while that isn't to say some members results will vary it is usually pretty close and more acurate than a stop whatch reaction using the spedo which rarely are ever 100% acurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts