Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's '07 Caliber SXT w/ CVT & 18,500miles keeps throwing a checking engine light. The dealer read the code and said it indicated the car had the wrong weight of oil. Just bought the car used so I didn't know what it had in it -- I changed the oil myself, put 5w20 in as specified (Castrol GTX).

Car has thrown the code again, they had it for a day, did a PCM flash, cleared the codes... said maybe it was throwing the code again from residual "bad" oil left in the engine (yeah right) and offered to change the oil at our cost.

Well the CEL is back on -- she's taking it in, anyone have any idea, or heard anything about this? It was code P10016, I haven't had any success reading a code with the ignition key, it just says --------- & d0nE.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
At my last oil change I questioned the service advisor at the dealership why 5-20 year round, why not 10-30 in the summer. He told me that the oil pump is only designed for the thinner oil.:confused: I'm assuming that the heavier oil will set the code.:confused: Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope your problem is solved in a timely fashion. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Latest from the dealership is that it's a component in the VTEC system (know thats not the right acronym, but whatever the variable valve timining is called in this case).

Apparently it fails to function properly at low temperatures (not that low since this is Florida, but relatively speaking).

The techs at the dealership verified this with Dodge 'tech support' who had them put the part in the freezer!

Apparently they've heard of this issue on a very limited basis... they're keeping the car for a little while to get the part and have it replaced. Dodge set my wife up with a Jeep Commander (!) in the mean time.

I'll post more if I get it...

-Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts