Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys.. I have been reading some here and there and from what I can tell the Mitsubishi Lancer of 08 is pretty much the same engine as the 2.0 caliber... I thought I would post this to see if you guys know more than me. Anyway anyone on here know more than me about this? Basically it looks like the EVO is going to be a Turbocharhed 2.0 liter.. If this is true I assume we will be able to use a ton of thier modifications that will come with the Lancer. Looking under the hood they look defenitly the same. Air box, radiator hoses, and location of oil stuff all looks to be the same and I assume alot of thier bolt ons would work on the Caliber.

I am mainly curious about possibly getting a manual transmission for mine and getting rid of the CVT. The CVT is so freaking slow feeling. coming from a modified Magnum R/t So I cut my HP more than half.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dude, wow, ok you must be new to cars, so I'll just answer your questions for you nicely.

The inline 4's in the Caliber and Lancer are basically the same, with various different accessories and parts changed. However that does NOT mean that you can take the turbocharged 2.0L from the Lancer EVO and drop it in your car, that's an expensive and unnecessary way of getting more power from your own engine. Either wait for the SRT-4 and trade up to that, or wait for a turbo kit to be built for the 2.0L.

If you want a 5-speed manual tranny, I'm sure the 5-speed that's mated to the 1.8L Caliber engine or the 2.4L R/T engine will work. They make those ya know, you don't have to pull one from a Mitsu... =]

Here's a page on the World Engines, you can read up some more on here.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It doesn't sound like they wanted to do an engine swap. They seemed to want to know if bolt-ons and upgrades from the lancer motor would work on the caliber. Anything can be done with enough time and ingenuity.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just remember todayscars are a lot diffrent then the old days. You need the car computer to understand the the change. thus reprograming the system.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yep.. that becomes your major hurdle when thinking of modding the caliber powertrain. It still wont stop the determined though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I really dont want to do a whole engine swap and no I am not new to cars. I assume you are new to reading though since you assumed something I didnt write. Anyway I assume any CAI and pulley and exhaust would work from a Lancer to a Caliber and this is what I am wondering. I assume if they figure out a computer hack for a lancer (which they will) it will open doors for the caliber market. Anyway I will just figure it all out on my own.

·
Registered
574 Posts
bguild said:
Yeah I really dont want to do a whole engine swap and no I am not new to cars. I assume you are new to reading though since you assumed something I didnt write. Anyway I assume any CAI and pulley and exhaust would work from a Lancer to a Caliber and this is what I am wondering. I assume if they figure out a computer hack for a lancer (which they will) it will open doors for the caliber market. Anyway I will just figure it all out on my own.
CAI may be the same but may not they have 2 different engine bays and prolly different setups for factory intakes. As for the Exhaust I HIGHLY doubt an exhaust made for a Lancer will work on a Caliber. The engines are the same but again the bodies are different so I really dont think it will be a bolt up kind of install. Pulley I would think would be an easy swap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
bguild said:
You know man, maybe you're not new to cars, but that was a dumb question. You mentioned specifically the turbo 2.0 in the Lancer EVO as a possible candidate for mods. If you don't know why that's not feasible then... nevermind.

What's wrong with the Mopar CAI and exhaust for the 2.0L? Mopar has CAI, headers, exhaust, springs/struts, a strut tower brace, and sway bars available right now. What would you want Lancer EVO parts for, even if they would fit, do you think they'd make you faster than the Mopar parts?

And what in the world makes you think that Mitsubishi programming is anything like Chrysler/Dodge programming?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I dont think anything he asked was dumb. In fact its been brought up before in other topics. the lancer EVO 2.0 may be a good source for turbo intercoolers/piping and other parts. It all depends on the final layout really and we wont know till someone gets their hands on one. People may even find that the lancer cylinder head or other major parts work... ECM tuning will be a hurdle though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah maybe I was harsh, although I did try to honestly answer his questions in my very first post.

Why would you guys be looking at Lancer parts for the Caliber though? It's not worth the trouble and cost it would take when the SRT-4 is coming out. It will be a thousand times easier to fit SRT-4 parts onto the Caliber than it would be to reverse engineer and retrofit Mitsubishi parts onto it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah yeah... since people have been swamping engines parts from other cars since the invention of the wheel I must be stupid for thinking that the Lancer market KNOWN FOR TUNING might speed up the aftermarket Caliber market. Come on man you all know that the Caliber is suppose to be a family car that gets 30 mpg not a tuner. However the Lancer is suppose to be the closest rivel to a WRX. I understand the comment why dont you just buy a SRT. Well the SRT would be cool but with a baby due any day it would not be feasible for me to do but doing mods here and there and eventually ending up with something that would be just as nice or even better I could possibly be do. Either way I didnt want criticism for my question just an answer.

They say the CAi takes a full second of your 1/4 mile time and the pulley looks interesting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You cant tell me there arent some similarities.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree more with SRT4Evea you sounded like you were asking an uneducated question. After seeing that picture the engines look pretty similar. We cannot see to far into it from that picture either. I guess only time will tell but I am interested to see. Keep searching for your answers and let us know what you find bguild.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This still makes virtually no sense. You're speaking in generalities, I'm telling you for a fact that there are Mopar parts out there now for virtually everything you'll see for the Lancer. All the NA bolt-ons are available now, as well as the suspension bits, so what are you expecting to get out of Lancer parts?

You're not going to swap the EVO motor in unless you're crazy, the SRT motor will be cheaper and has more displacement.

Be specific, what do you think you could get from the Lancer aftermarket that is not available for the Caliber right now?

And you're confusing things a bit by calling the Evolution simply "Lancer", the Lancer was a POS that was NOT known for tuning, it was a 120hp crap-box slower and worse in any performance measure than any Neon ever was. The new Lancer is a superior small car, but there's never been a strong aftermarket for the Lancer, only for the EVO.

And why would you want EVO X parts when you could get SRT parts? Makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
srt4evah --- why are you even on this thread if you say you own a SRT-8 Charger there is a forum for you called lxforums.com Anyway if you cant help me or answer my question please leave and dont ask why I want to do something its a simple ques. I also havent seen any pulleys for the caliber or cpu tuners that are already available for the lancer. I am done with this thread... Just know if you dont have anything useful to say or cant help just mind your own business rather than to post something just to stir the pot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I was asking an uneducated ques..
how is it that they use the exact same engine block?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It makes sence to me still... EVO will use the 2.0L and may offer parts that compliment the caliber 2.0 better. It may even turn out that the caliber engine is closer to the EVO than we may think. just imagine something as simple as adding a turbo/cylinder head and ECM to turn the mid model caliber into a CVT eating beast. Maybe 5 speed swaps are in the future as well from the GTS models. This is all pending the MB11 is in fact based on the same world engine as the caliber.
I personally will be watching the new info on the getrag trans and AWD system. yes its said that dodge may possibly even replace its CVTs with getrag trannys but a pre beefed up AWD version is alot more convienent.

·
Registered
312 Posts
bguild said:
srt4evah --- why are you even on this thread if you say you own a SRT-8 Charger there is a forum for you called lxforums.com Anyway if you cant help me or answer my question please leave and dont ask why I want to do something its a simple ques. I also havent seen any pulleys for the caliber or cpu tuners that are already available for the lancer. I am done with this thread... Just know if you dont have anything useful to say or cant help just mind your own business rather than to post something just to stir the pot.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had to own a particular car to post on it's forums. My bad!

I'm posting here because I happen to be an enthusiast that leans towards Dodge products, having owned a 74 Dart, 71 Charger, 01 ACR, 03 SRT-4 and 06 SRT-8.

Your question isn't the worst question EVAR, but I still don't get why you think Lancer parts are better than Mopar parts. You haven't addressed that in any of your replies.

And BTW, one reason that I think your question is... well, what it is, is that there ARE NO LANCER AFTERMARKET PARTS AND THE EVO X HAS NOT LAUNCHED YET! So what kind of answers were you expecting?!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fingernipp said:
It makes sence to me still... EVO will use the 2.0L and may offer parts that compliment the caliber 2.0 better. It may even turn out that the caliber engine is closer to the EVO than we may think. just imagine something as simple as adding a turbo/cylinder head and ECM to turn the mid model caliber into a CVT eating beast. Maybe 5 speed swaps are in the future as well from the GTS models. This is all pending the MB11 is in fact based on the same world engine as the caliber.
I personally will be watching the new info on the getrag trans and AWD system. yes its said that dodge may possibly even replace its CVTs with getrag trannys but a pre beefed up AWD version is alot more convienent.
You know, there's more to an engine than a block, believe it or not. If you think that Mitsu just slapped on a different head, a turbo, and tuned it and "voila", new world-class rally motor, I think you need to think about that a bit more thoroughly.

Maybe there will be some shared parts, I'm not saying that's not possible, but what makes you think that any that DO make easy swaps will be better than anything that the Caliber aftermarket (which includes Mopar) comes up with?

All you guys are talking about how Lancer parts would be cool to have for the Caliber, but none of you are saying why.

I will give you the fact that the World Engine was designed with FI in mind, so there is a shred of logic to what you're saying about the EVO motor, but at the same time that fact would seem to make it more likely that someone will produce aftermarket turbo kits for the Caliber than EVO swaps... especially with the SRT-4 coming along...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Well because the se,sxt and R/T calibers were not designed as high performance vehicles. Why would mopar put out high performance parts for them. Eventually aftermarket may catch up but i wouldnt bet on it.
As for there being more to these engines... of course. They are modular engines though and if the shortblock is the same then no holds bars. OEM parts have allways been a source for tuners and basterdized motors are VERY common.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts