Dodge Caliber Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
bguild said:
thanks again for open arms-----Asshole
Sticks and stones, I am not hurt, sorry.

I'm trying to educate you man, like it or not. You want me to accept that Mitsubishi and CG are partners with open arms? HOW!? It's NOT TRUE!

Look, I want you to have more power, better handling, whatever it is you want out of your Caliber, but I'm trying to tell you you're wasting your time if you're waiting for Lancer parts to bolt on to your Caliber. Once the SRT4 Caliber comes out I'm sure there will be a great deal more interest in the Caliber platform overall, a lot of new parts were developed for the old Neon platform after the SRT-4 came out. The Neon platform has always had a strong following, so it is a different situation, but the SRT4 should show people that the Caliber is a viable performance platform and spark a lot of interest and product development. Be patient, and don't waste your time looking at Lancer parts (which also don't exist yet).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
srt4evah said:
Uh yah, I can kinda see that, but I seriously think you'll have a far better vehicle if you just buy an EVO than try to transplant that all into the Caliber. The amount of money it would cost to convert the car to AWD, and get all the electronics to play properly, plus adding the extra weight of the AWD, the EVO will still be a better car for sure.

It's possible, but I don't think you'd be happy with the result if you did that. Maybe the motor alone, if you prefer 2.0L turbo's over 2.4L turbo's, but it would probably be a lot cheaper to just turbo your own 2.0L with a kit, I'm sure they'll be coming for the Calibers.
I agree... you will have a much better performing vehicle... but then you have to live with a mitsubishi :( and no more caliber lol. I personally got my caliber for a daily driver and because i love the look and versitility. I have 3 other vehicles that satisfy my other needs. My nature is to always make a project of things. Im sure that if i keep my caliber longer than my warrenty it will have many mods to come.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well Guys thanks for all the input. I think I have learned a great lesson here. The Caliber sucks and it will never be a performance car so smile when you go to gas pump and that is about all you can do. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
bguild said:
Well Guys thanks for all the input. I think I have learned a great lesson here. The Caliber sucks and it will never be a performance car so smile when you go to gas pump and that is about all you can do. Thanks for all the help.
Nah thats not what the general msg was. They were saying to check out the mopar offerings rather than venture into mitsubishi parts. I feel that both should be looked at. you will find your basic typical boltons from mopar.. later possibly some SRT parts may become available. You can always be adventerous and check out the EVO parts for other options but will take more research and work. Simple stuff like CAI makes no difference really mopar/mitsubishi or aftermarket. your biggest gains will be in your air filter in the end seeing how you wont find much cold air in the caliber engine bay other than what the stock snorkle feeds on. The one issue you WILL encounter while trying to unlock horsepower from the caliber is the CVT. We have the light duty CVTs in our cars and they arnt rated to handle a ton of power.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Indeed, the CVT cannot handle a lot of torque, unfortunately. However, all the Caliber engines should bolt up easily to the 5-speed R/T manual, if a tranny swap is really that desirable. If it came down to that much work though, I'd look for a SRT4 complete swap, I'm sure there will be plenty of wrecked SRT4s within 6 months of launch...

·
Registered
287 Posts
srt4evah said:
Indeed, the CVT cannot handle a lot of torque, unfortunately. However, all the Caliber engines should bolt up easily to the 5-speed R/T manual, if a tranny swap is really that desirable. If it came down to that much work though, I'd look for a SRT4 complete swap, I'm sure there will be plenty of wrecked SRT4s within 6 months of launch...
That is the nature of the beast. 2.4L Turbo mounted to a 6speed tranny? Sounds like quite the upgrade to me over the 2.4 N/A CVT slug transmission:D:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah with the set up I have it might be smarter just to drive this thing for awhle until used parts become readily available. The CVT is a like and dislike thing. I went in looking for a FWD 5 speed r/t and they couldnt locate me one and order me one in the time frame i wanted so I did the dumb thing and got this car. With a baby on the way the cvt is probably better and my wife dosent know how to drive a stick. Anyway I ended up with the CVT. I do like the car for everyday driving but damn its just boring and sluggish. Gas mileage rocks. coming from a 12mpg rt magnum this thing is from the heavens.
I think my best bet would be to find a RT 2.4 5 speed drop out of a wrecked car and do a transplant. especially since this is my 5th car in 5 years my trading days are over and i think my wife has cut me off. anyway I will set tight for now and just wait.

Sorry I let some of this get to me. With the anticipation of a baby any day now the stress level is higher than normal. I still am standing by that its not a stupid question though. (-; I have learned some stuff here and hopefully others have too which was the goal of this thread. Maybe we should have just gone about it different including myself. Cheers

·
Registered
312 Posts
Alright, well I'm not denying I was a jerk in my tone in replying to you, but I still stand by what I said. Be patient, I'm sure you'll see more Mopar parts coming down with their associated manufacturers selling them w/o the Mopar brand for cheaper prices.

A 5-speed tranny should be easy to find, I'm sure they're the same on the 1.8L as they are on the 2.4L.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Any ideas of what would have to be changed to go to 5 speed? I know of course the transmission clutch pedal and linkage.. I am assuming the TCM (Transmission Control Module) would also have to be changed. Any help here would be good in case I locate one. Then I know what I am getting into and I know what to look for. I am in no hurry to do this anyway but more am just curious. I am talking with RRM though and I am taking measurements on the pulley fairly soon and might order it to see if it would work if they would refund me if it dosent work. Then we could add a pulley to the list of things available for the caliber.

i think for now i am going to focus on suspension.. atleast I could make cornering fun. (-; Then someday I can get a 5 speed and really make i fun... There are some CVT's on ebay now but no 5 speeds. also some 2.0 engines.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
as you guys said a srt complete swamp would be ideal but that would probably be atleast a year away which might be fine for me. No real rush.
If your going to spend the time to do something like this it would probably be smarter to just get the big dawg and really make it a fast car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Another thing we havent discussed YET in talking about engine and or Trans replacement is the fact that your car is still under warranty. Especially with a kid on the way wouldnt it be better to do this after the warranty is up at least?

·
Registered
312 Posts
bguild said:
as you guys said a srt complete swamp would be ideal but that would probably be atleast a year away which might be fine for me. No real rush.
If your going to spend the time to do something like this it would probably be smarter to just get the big dawg and really make it a fast car.
Keep in mind that an SRT4 drivetrain swap will not give you everything from an SRT4, although it's a good start. If you want SRT4 performance though, when you factor in the costs of all the other parts besides drivetrain that you'd have to do, you might just be better off trading up for one.

As far as what it would take to swap in the 5-speed, I recommend maybe checking with your local dodge parts dealer. The prices will be stupid, but they might be able to at least give you a list of what you'd need.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Transmission, caliber, 5 speed 2007 $1,445.00
Transmission, caliber, 6 speed 2007 $3,225.00

Obviously the 6 speed is the getrag SRT 4 unit. Both prices are actually not too bad at all... you would need to swap or get your pcm flashed though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wow those prices are really resonable. Dang (-: Good news then.. They will probably charge you like 4 grand for the clutch pedal haha.

Anyway kind of dreaming here a little bit so doubt I will ever do it but figure out what would need to be done is really what i am after. I think the swap might be harder than expected especially since my 2.0 dosent even come in a manual so there might not be a flash for this.

I would assume my best bet would be get a srt-4 tranny and motor or get a r/t engine with a manual and put the whole thing in as a complete system as long they come with the computers.

Who knows I will probably just keep this as a daily driver and just get a hot rod or a autocross car to keep for the weekends. The caliber is one hell of a daily driver. :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
You ought to consider picking up a Neon ACR or maybe even a cheap SRT-4 (if you can find one), if you want a track car. I had a surpremely fixed up 01 ACR, and that car was AMAZING. Put some strut bars, sway bars, bushings and a sticky set of rubber on it, and you will have a go-kart.

In the meantime you can add little things here and there for the Caliber. CAI this month, springs or sway bars next month, just to make it more fun to drive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yeah I am almost leaning towards that. A daily driver would be nice.. A fun could would make teh daily driver even cooler. We will see.. I actually saw a black SRT-4 neon today and it was one of the best looking ones I have seen. made me start thinking haha. LORD I NEED TO STOP..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys.. I have been reading some here and there and from what I can tell the Mitsubishi Lancer of 08 is pretty much the same engine as the 2.0 caliber... I thought I would post this to see if you guys know more than me. Anyway anyone on here know more than me about this? Basically it looks like the EVO is going to be a Turbocharhed 2.0 liter.. If this is true I assume we will be able to use a ton of thier modifications that will come with the Lancer. Looking under the hood they look defenitly the same. Air box, radiator hoses, and location of oil stuff all looks to be the same and I assume alot of thier bolt ons would work on the Caliber.

I am mainly curious about possibly getting a manual transmission for mine and getting rid of the CVT. The CVT is so freaking slow feeling. coming from a modified Magnum R/t So I cut my HP more than half.
Can I put a lancer transmission on my caliber will it fit where I live the lancer is more common than the caliber

41 - 57 of 57 Posts