Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with my current run this past weekend at the track i think the new srt will be as fast or slower than the 04-05 srt. i just don't see the car going faster than 14.0 with the weight and the hp they are claiming. unless it does 300 at the wheels that's the only way. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Using this caclulator http://www.torinocobra.com/horsepower.htm It predicts a 12 second run if it makes the 300 at the wheels. Drop off 20hp for driveline loss and it still shows a 13.1 ET. So I'd say with the right driver it woudl be very capable of low 13s in the 1/4, and with a couple mods 12's are in easy reach.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but that's getting traction...and we're talking 100% stock. no suspension mods. i think the car will not be much faster unless dcx puts a good suspension on it this time to ellimnate wheel hop and make it hook.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Like i said, with the right driver. The SRT-10 rams have 1/4 numbers all over the place due to different drivers. Some have figured out how to launch them, others havn't. It will be the same thing with the Caliber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Drop off 20hp for driveline loss and it still shows a 13.1 ET."

I think you need to drop off more than 20 hp isn't it more like 15%????????? so like 45 hp??? or am I completely wrong in thinking that?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Who knows with the CVT. Just an rough estimate. I used. 20% is the norm with an auto tranny. Guess i was just figuring that the other SRT vehicles were under rated on the hp claims, so the SRT-4 probably is as well.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
HSKR said:
Using this caclulator http://www.torinocobra.com/horsepower.htm It predicts a 12 second run if it makes the 300 at the wheels. Drop off 20hp for driveline loss and it still shows a 13.1 ET. So I'd say with the right driver it woudl be very capable of low 13s in the 1/4, and with a couple mods 12's are in easy reach.
A online tool is useless for guessing on track performance when gearing, fwd/rwd etc. aren't options... a 240whp STI will do 13 flat because of the 60ft advantage, a 300whp Caliber will be mid-high 13's at best imo

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree ^^^ if the car will hook up it will for sure be a solid 13 sec car..otherwise i think it still will be just as fast or slower than the 04-05. i still can't wait to see though!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
A online tool is useless for guessing on track performance when gearing, fwd/rwd etc. aren't options... a 240whp STI will do 13 flat because of the 60ft advantage, a 300whp Caliber will be mid-high 13's at best imo
All the online calculators I have played with, knowing my actual numbers, but plugging in the variables just to check them have been fairly accurate. And tht was on my Dakota. Using the MPH and ET(1/8 and 1/4) to determine HP calculated to within 5 hp of my actual dyno numbers. Using 1/8 mile numbers to calculate 1/4 times were within a tenth each time. Using hp, # of cylinders and displacement got within a tenth of my 1/4 numbers as well. So as far as I'm concerned, they are accurate enough for my use. If the owner can't drive the vehicle, well, there's no calculator for that, but that doesn't mean the vehicle can't put up the numbers with the right driver.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
HSKR said:
All the online calculators I have played with, knowing my actual numbers, but plugging in the variables just to check them have been fairly accurate. And tht was on my Dakota. Using the MPH and ET(1/8 and 1/4) to determine HP calculated to within 5 hp of my actual dyno numbers. Using 1/8 mile numbers to calculate 1/4 times were within a tenth each time. Using hp, # of cylinders and displacement got within a tenth of my 1/4 numbers as well. So as far as I'm concerned, they are accurate enough for my use. If the owner can't drive the vehicle, well, there's no calculator for that, but that doesn't mean the vehicle can't put up the numbers with the right driver.
You're talking apples and oranges here... using your 1/8th and quarter mile times in addition to other known variables such as curb weight etc. is more accurate than scenerio two where you are guessing final curb weight, guessing final whp into a tool that takes no consideration to FWD/RWD/AWD etc. and spits out a 12-13 second 1/4 time lol

The Mazda speed 3 ran 14.2 at 100mph... the caliber will not be a full second faster i guarantee it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amen! ^ that's exactly what i think. there is no way that the car with ( if the caliber is putting down 300 at the crank) that it will be faster than the 04-05 model. i just don't see this thing going easliy into the 13's in the 1/4. anyone know the curb weight of the cali. srt4?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I gues we'll just have to wait and see then. But I doubt Dodge will release it unles it can run at least 13 second time slip. For them to even compete with the rest of the sport compact cars like the Evo, and the WRX, it will need to run 13's at least, and that's what they are shooting for.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well lets try and put this into perspective on some #'s that we know. the 04-05 srt is putting out at the crank right at 276 hp at 20% drivetrain loss. let just say that the cali srt will be doing 300 at the wheels. thats 360hp at the crank.

I think i may be wrong in my statement about the car being slower if it does make 300 at the wheels. seeing as the cali will be at 8.4 a lb per 1 hp, while the 04-05 is at 9.2 a lb per 1 hp. so the car should be much faster...if it makes 300 at the crank then it's bumped to 10.12 lbs per hp. so it will be slower. only time will tell. but that's where it stands from #'s that we do know of.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
HSKR said:
I gues we'll just have to wait and see then. But I doubt Dodge will release it unles it can run at least 13 second time slip. For them to even compete with the rest of the sport compact cars like the Evo, and the WRX, it will need to run 13's at least, and that's what they are shooting for.
If DCX wanted to compete with the Evo the SRT4 wouldn't be a wagon and it would be AWD and it would cost about 10K USD more than it will and you'd see a Dodge sponsored rally team... none of that is true of course, so why build a practical versatile vechicle that can haul people and all all their stuff, put up a convincing sport feel in the twisties, haul the mail in a straight line and price it at 23K USD?... probally because tons of people will buy it... myself likely included.

The SRT4 competes against the MS3, the GTI/R32 etc. so while the Evo/STI might be benchmark aspirational goals no customer ready and willing to buy an Evo/STI will jump ship and buy an SRT4 for its all around performance... value and versatility and good enough performance maybe, let alone at a much better price but not on its performance alone.

Lets have a friendly wager on who gets the closest, my guess was above

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
Lets have a friendly wager on who gets the closest, my guess was above
I'll take it. At a sea level track with the right driver, I'd predict 13.5-13.7 stock. We ain't talking Phoenix, AZ here. A track like HRP in Houston, Bremerton Raceway, or Cecil, Maryland.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
HSKR said:
Unoriginalusername said:
13.7 @ 103mph for the motortrend/car and driver time
HSKR said:
I'll take it. At a sea level track with the right driver, I'd predict 13.5-13.7 stock. We ain't talking Phoenix, AZ here. A track like HRP in Houston, Bremerton Raceway, or Cecil, Maryland.
Hey, you're getting closer to my prediction.... from low 13's to 13.7 is a big swing lol. None the less i think your revised guesstimate which is about the same as my submission is closer to accurate than what the original low 13 talk was

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
As for average times for most people, that is my prediction. I still think a low 13 sec time will be run by a few drivers under the perfect conditions, but freak times like that aren't the norm, which is what my prediction is for. 12's with a few tweaks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
HSKR said:
As for average times for most people, that is my prediction. I still think a low 13 sec time will be run by a few drivers under the perfect conditions, but freak times like that aren't the norm, which is what my prediction is for. 12's with a few tweaks.
I am going based on what SCC/Car and driver will report as their times typically reflect the average to better than average driver and are temp/altitude corrected.

There are some sketchy tracks accross the country where their timing equipment, track length and level surface (vs. downhill/uphill slightly) could produce one off seemingly good results.

I know many people either agree or disagree with magazine test methods however wrong or right, they are consitantly wrong or right and given the repository of data gathered from comparable cars tested in a similar fashion, represent the most accurate source to benchmark comparisions off of.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
this is a comment from dodgetalk.com

powerfulhemi vbmenu_register("postmenu_1201370", true);

I've driven 2 of these Pre-production SRT-4 cars, and the torque steer is just horrendous. Dangerous might be a better word. Word from Chrysler at the present time is that they are going to do away with the limited slip front diff. Don't know what that will do for torque steer, but it will make that high powered beast nearly impossible to hook up.

hopefully he is wrong or we have the 03 model all over again!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts