Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just want to know the compatibility of the intake header and exhaust with the 1.8 anyone know? i got the 1.8 with the 5spd cuz i needed the manual... wanted the 2.0 but not optioned with the 5spd... someone please PLEASE E mail me any info you may have [email protected]:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
So far the Mopar cold air intake and exhaust header all bolt up to the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4L, so it seems to be safe to say, that bolt-on wise, modification parts can be used for either of the three engines.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is kind of a noob question...

Are engine mods from companies other than Mopar (such as K&N and others) generally cheaper? Also, do they perform as well, if not better? Or atleast better bang for the buck?

This is due to the fact that I have been looking at the prices of a lot of Mopar mods and cannot believe how expensive they are. The real shocker was $1300 for an estimated 10hp. I have heard that Mopar purposly underrates their stuff, but that is still outrageous.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
CoolCallie said:
So far the Mopar cold air intake and exhaust header all bolt up to the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4L, so it seems to be safe to say, that bolt-on wise, modification parts can be used for either of the three engines.
Are you sure about that? I read someplace that the Mopar engine mods so far are for the 2.0 only. And if I'm not mistaken the 1.8 and the 2.0 are the same block... so I would think that they should fit both... but not sure about the 2.4.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
Are you sure about that? I read someplace that the Mopar engine mods so far are for the 2.0 only. And if I'm not mistaken the 1.8 and the 2.0 are the same block... so I would think that they should fit both... but not sure about the 2.4.
I think you are right. In the vendor section of the forum there was discussion about this. I don't think the 2.4 mods are available yet, only for the 2.0.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The stock intake system is already a cold air intake. I don't know if a better designed free flowing intake would help. I am a strongly against K&N filters as they just do not filter very well and I live in a very dusty area.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Huff said:
The stock intake system is already a cold air intake. I don't know if a better designed free flowing intake would help. I am a strongly against K&N filters as they just do not filter very well and I live in a very dusty area.
They don't filter as well and they actually don't flow much better than factory air filters. There is a website out there that tested filtration of several different types of air filters as well as pressure drop after the filter (How well it flowed). The K&N stock replacement for a Miata filtered a good deal worse than the factory Mazda filter (paper element I believe) and it didn't flow much better than the Mazda filter.

As for where I saw the mods crosscompatibility, one of the potential vendors awhile back posted a picture of Mopar's performance part sheet and I recall it saying headers and intake, etc were for all three engines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't know for sure, but since the 1.8L, 2.0L, and 2.4L are all essentially the same externally, the parts should physically bolt up. BUT, the 2.4L with AWD has the big AWD/transfer case thingy in the way and has a different exhaust manifold than the FWD cars. I'm guessing the header won't clear that.

Since the 1.8L makes good power up top, your best bet for performance is probably to get as much exhasut restriction out that you can. Aftermarket cat, exhaust, etc. has GOT to help something that makes peak power at 6500 RPM. Then you need to find someone to chip the car and push the rev limiter out more so you can play up in the "fun" range more....

Never been a big fan of intake mods personally. I don't think you get much for normal driving....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so the stuff from mopar will work on my 1.8... does anyone know if the 2.0 and 2.4 are the same block... if they are... guess who is gonna make his a 2.4 :-D love being a machinist sometimes i'm making myself headers in my shop right now as a matter of fact... and i'm looking at just custom exhausting the whole damn thing... again still haven't got the car lol just using specs i got from a buddy stateside...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, there are a bunch of subtle differences between all the engines, like the 1.8L doesn't have balance shafts (2.0 & 2.4 do) so something in the bottom end is different. 1.8L & 2.0L have the same bore, but different stroke. 2.4L is different on both accounts....

DCX is supposed to release a 2.4L FWD Caliber/Compass later this year, so the "easy" thing to do would be to find a spare 2.4L world engine, stuff it in, and then you should be able to use the ECU from the 2.4L FWD. Not sure if any of the accessory drive or external stuff is different though.

Voila! -- a 2.4L Manual FWD R/T (or you could just wait for the 2.4L FWD to come out)

Edit -- engine specs at:
1.8L:
http://www.automotive.com/2007/101/dodge/caliber/se-wagon/1329/specifications/index.html
2.4L:
http://www.automotive.com/2007/101/dodge/caliber/r-t-wagon/1932/specifications/index.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Because the block is aluminum, I'm pretty sure the "world engine" uses removable sleeve liners that can be interchanged between the engines, though if the 2.0 and 1.8 use the same bore, then the sleeve change would only be necessary going to the stock 2.4L dimensions.

Granted, going from a 1.8 to a 2.4 seems like there's a lot more to swap out besides just the sleeves and the crank...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts