Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had the engine pinging problems with the 1.8L engine or any problems at all.
Thanks
EM

·
Registered
506 Posts
a strange random engine rpm crash and stall... not due to me shifting I had the clutch mashed to the floor and it's happened like 4-6 times since i got the car in the 5th... it seems to just act strange sometimes... also it does have the spark knock issue... i think rather badly and the dealer told me some BS about that's a feature so that you can hear the valves and such working... i don't think so.. gonna have him look at it again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same clutch in stall problem too. I notice its usually after I have had it in reverse but I does happen when moving forward as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep me too. Car just stalls for no reason. No pinging though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My ping is gone after the computer flash but mine stalls also randomly... normally at lights and it does it about once a week sometimes more often sometimes less. It used to do it all the time before I got the computer flashed. I have had it at the dealer twice and they can't figure it out. The service manager even took it home one night and of course it didn't do it for him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the random stall problem as well. I noticed if you touch the gas while sitting at a light or on a hill and the RPM goes to about 1500 rpm then you let off the gas the rpm drops like a stone below 400 rpm and stalls. Also slight ping at takeoff when your in a line at Tim Hortons and your slowly creeping along.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
mealso said:
I have the random stall problem as well. I noticed if you touch the gas while sitting at a light or on a hill and the RPM goes to about 1500 rpm then you let off the gas the rpm drops like a stone below 400 rpm and stalls. Also slight ping at takeoff when your in a line at Tim Hortons and your slowly creeping along.
yep thats exacly when its Happent:D ,i was thinking its just me and i need time to get used to standart again but its still doing sometimes like ones or twice a week ,its all deppends how many times i go to Tim Horten's:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
No pining, no stalling. My 1.8L has been running great (even had it over 100MPH last week).

Clutchless shifting works great on the 5spd, however, I have to shift sooner than I'm used to in the Nissan or VW. To get it into 5th without the clutch, I need to shift closer to 35 MPH instead of the 40-45MPH I'm used to in the other cars.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with my 1.8L w/5spd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had mine for three days now and I have had this happen one time. I was pulling out of a parking lot into traffic (1st gear) and the car hesitated for a second or two. I have also noticed that occasionally when at idle, the engine searches between 400-700 rpms, but runs smooth as soon as I accelerate. I plan on visiting the dealer after a few hundred miles if it hasn't gone away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was looking on the jeep forums and it appears the Jeep Commander also has Stalling problems with no Dealer Solution. Toread about it go to jeepforums.com (sub forum) Commander it's scary these guys won't even drive the vehicle.

·
Registered
506 Posts
hmm anyone have any updates about the stalling issue i just got my car oil changed and whatnot... and it hasn't happened yet... however i do have the random stalling deal... told dealer said they would check the computer... i'll let you know if anything is changed...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i just tryd driving only with a single key and the car has not stallt within a week ,so i think that there is a problem with the ignition spring itself,will see the dealer tomorow again .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went over 600 miles and, with the exception of the one time, I have not had the problem since. I am not sure if the CPU has some sort of learning curve, or if the TPS is just breaking in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The clutch of my car came broken from the factory. Everything began with a shaking from the central console. Finally the dealer placed a new clutch, but but that lasted several weeks... Now everything goes perfect :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Talked to my buddy and he said that there's some new engine software (new flash) available that is supposed to "help" with the stalling issue. Not sure if there's a TSB or anything on it though.... If you're having issues, maybe bug your dealer (and see if my friend is full of BS)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Add me to the list! I have had this problem from day one! It seems to me like it is an IAC (Idle Air Control) Sensor issue.. Though since the cali is throttle by wire I'm sure if the throttle body has one...

:)

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well here is another one to the list...has done it a few times that it just out-right stalls but as mentioned before just sitting at a light and press the pedel once and drops to 400-500 rpm and stalls or manages to slowly work it self back to idle, pressing the pedel after it has dipped in rpm is an instant stall.

Seems like the throttle response time is slow too seems to take a second to think about things then it goes lol. Going to bug my dealer when I go to get my first oil change. He did after all say I was his test bed as mine was the first 5-speed Caliber he delivered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is stalling also.

I complained about it to my dealer a week ago and the service guy called me today and they're going to update the software on my Caliber.

According to the service guy someone else also had the software updated and it's not stalling anymore. Also the car should act better on low rpm's (have more power)...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts