Dodge Caliber Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Forever black is a once a year kind of thing, and back to black is a once a car wash kind of thing. Using forever black is a similar treatment for the plastic like you just did for your paint.
Ah ok. Yea, idk, i was actually thinking about painting them at some point. Maybe picking up another set and smooth them out and paint them body color, or gloss black. Most of the "fading" that you see in the pictures is actually just crap from my hands from grabbing onto them when i was detailing the car. They really havent faded all that much over the past couple years

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ah ok. Yea, idk, i was actually thinking about painting them at some point. Maybe picking up another set and smooth them out and paint them body color, or gloss black. Most of the "fading" that you see in the pictures is actually just crap from my hands from grabbing onto them when i was detailing the car. They really havent faded all that much over the past couple years
Forever black will make brand new roof rails look brand new, if that makes any sense. I haven't done my roof rails yet, but I have done my wiper cowl by the windshield and it made it look so much better. My plastic isn't too faded yet as I get to park in a covered lot at work and in a garage at home. My car sees about 10 minutes of sunlight a day.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Forever black will make brand new roof rails look brand new, if that makes any sense. I haven't done my roof rails yet, but I have done my wiper cowl by the windshield and it made it look so much better. My plastic isn't too faded yet as I get to park in a covered lot at work and in a garage at home. My car sees about 10 minutes of sunlight a day.
yea, ill have to look into it then, as my car sits in the sun at work all day

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Products used:

Note: I wound up not using the #7 glaze, and not pictured is the Ultimate Compound, or car wash that i used.

It rained yesterday, so once i wash it today ill post some pictures of it in the sunlight :bigthumb:
I have to ask, the scatch remover, worth the time/money?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have to ask, the scatch remover, worth the time/money?
Well, heres the thing. When working with scratches and swirls, you want to use the least abrasive product first. The scratch remover is less abrasive than the Ultimate Compound. If its a light scratch, or light swirls, its worth it, but if its deeper, best bet would most likely to be the UC. You never know until you test it out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice job! I'm a firm believer of the same products that you used. Only difference is I use their rotary buffer. I will soon be doing the exact same process on mine in the very near future.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice job! I'm a firm believer of the same products that you used. Only difference is I use their rotary buffer. I will soon be doing the exact same process on mine in the very near future.
Yea, next time i do a detail, im going to pick up a DA polisher first. Ive been researching the Griots 6 inch DA, and ill probably pick one up in the future.

That alone should cut down the time by about half, if not more. Hopefully lol

I will say though, i am amazed with the meguiars paint sealer. I applied it on whatever date i posted the finished pictures, and it lasted through the entire winter, still had nice water beading after winter as well. Definitely a great 20 dollar investment VS using regular old wax.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I definitely want to pick up a DA polisher next. I tried to use the ultimate compound on the van last night by hand...lets say i'm not doing that again :rofl:

i did the hood and a couple other spots and gave up

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I definitely want to pick up a DA polisher next. I tried to use the ultimate compound on the van last night by hand...lets say i'm not doing that again :rofl:

Lol, now imagine going at it for 10+ hours until it looks good :rofl:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
you're an animal :rofl:

mind you i was already tired when i started, which didn't help lol
:rofl:

Yea, i just kept the radio up and kept on working. Took a few 15-20 minute breaks here and there though.

After i take care of my tires, brakes, and rear struts, and winter tires, then ill focus on getting a DA polisher. I need to make sure the car is in good order mechanically, and its really not all that bad right now to be honest.

After getting it back from the body shop after my accident, i had to wait the 30 days before putting the paint sealer on, but after the 30 days, i did a dawn wash to strip any old sealer off, and then put on two new coats, and its been perfect since.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Well, heres the thing. When working with scratches and swirls, you want to use the least abrasive product first. The scratch remover is less abrasive than the Ultimate Compound. If its a light scratch, or light swirls, its worth it, but if its deeper, best bet would most likely to be the UC. You never know until you test it out.
I have the same brand scratch remover but after using the buffer, didn't see a reason for it. Was kind of looking at it as a waste of money now.

Yea, next time i do a detail, im going to pick up a DA polisher first. Ive been researching the Griots 6 inch DA, and ill probably pick one up in the future.

That alone should cut down the time by about half, if not more. Hopefully lol

I will say though, i am amazed with the meguiars paint sealer. I applied it on whatever date i posted the finished pictures, and it lasted through the entire winter, still had nice water beading after winter as well. Definitely a great 20 dollar investment VS using regular old wax.
I dug out my old 3" buffer a few weeks ago. On the Caliber, it is a very good size as you can get almost every where with it. The only issue is the batteries are pretty much done. I'll charge both batteries and by the end, I am flip-flopping back and forth between dead batteries.

as for the waxes, I'm still a Mothers brand guy. In the end, they are pretty much the same really

It can be hard to sit there and do the full job properly. My biggest issue is having to go over the car a number of times with all the different products. Washing, claybar + cleaner wax (if needed), spot swirl/scratch removal, sealing wax then Carnauba. Add in there the trim work with Black to Black and glass cleaning and treating.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I have the same brand scratch remover but after using the buffer, didn't see a reason for it. Was kind of looking at it as a waste of money now.

I dug out my old 3" buffer a few weeks ago. On the Caliber, it is a very good size as you can get almost every where with it. The only issue is the batteries are pretty much done. I'll charge both batteries and by the end, I am flip-flopping back and forth between dead batteries.

as for the waxes, I'm still a Mothers brand guy. In the end, they are pretty much the same really

It can be hard to sit there and do the full job properly. My biggest issue is having to go over the car a number of times with all the different products. Washing, claybar + cleaner wax (if needed), spot swirl/scratch removal, sealing wax then Carnauba. Add in there the trim work with Black to Black and glass cleaning and treating.
^ Yeah its definitely a full day job to do it all, and do it all right.

·
Registered
Calibre SXT Sport CRD
5 Posts
That is why it is quite expensive to pay for a quality detailer nowadays. The time, effort and skill is what you are paying for.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts