Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!!!

I am, installing my new bluetooth kit, I bought he wiring harness to make it easy (yeah right) and now come to find out that I need a 12 volt wire that is switched on by the ignition.

Okay, Ithought I would tap into he cigarette lighter, so after about an hour of poking around figuring how to get it out, I tried BOTH wires going tothe lighter, NEITHER OF THEM ARE LIVE!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

Has anybody tapped into an accessory wire successfully and if so, where?

PLease help, I have the poor car all torn apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
caprirs302 said:
HELP!!!!!

I am, installing my new bluetooth kit, I bought he wiring harness to make it easy (yeah right) and now come to find out that I need a 12 volt wire that is switched on by the ignition.

Okay, Ithought I would tap into he cigarette lighter, so after about an hour of poking around figuring how to get it out, I tried BOTH wires going tothe lighter, NEITHER OF THEM ARE LIVE!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

Has anybody tapped into an accessory wire successfully and if so, where?

PLease help, I have the poor car all torn apart.

Thanks
You need either a light tester or a volt meter. Test various places on the fuse pannel. Find a spot that is not live, then turn on the car and see if now is live. Also typically the center wire is +12 and the outside is ground in the cigarette lighter. Unfortunatly I dont have my Caliber yet, otherwise I would test it for you and send a jpg with a location.

·
Registered
294 Posts
caliber172 said:
. Also typically the center wire is +12 and the outside is ground in the cigarette lighter.
Agree with above, but I would suggest tapping the power, but finding a new ground. For any further electical, its worth investing in a simple tester.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What do you need this 12v for? If your just trying to get the auto dimming mirror to work you dont NEED it. Otherwise you only need wires from the main radio harness.
I plan to add the 12v, ground and reverse switch wires later once i have a full wiring diagram fro the car. But for now they arnt needed and even with my manual dim mirror i never need it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not installing the Dodge uconnect, I have a parrot ck3200 LCD, it uses the switched 12v to turn on and off. The radio gets its juice from the CAN bus, so the wire harness won't work. I have my tester, Iwas just wondering why the cigarette lighter wires were dead.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ahh ok. I think there is a post in here somewhere jumping a fuse in the fuse box to supply 12 to the interior. I dunno about the lighter but i would have guessed it woulda been hot with KOEO.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
caprirs302 said:
I'm not installing the Dodge uconnect, I have a parrot ck3200 LCD, it uses the switched 12v to turn on and off. The radio gets its juice from the CAN bus, so the wire harness won't work. I have my tester, Iwas just wondering why the cigarette lighter wires were dead.
Cigarette lighter ONLY has power with ignition on. If you are checking with ignition off, then it won't work. I tapped into the cigarette lighter wires for the power to my hard wired XM radio install and it works great. Has the auto turn on when power in sensed and turns on when I start the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooooooops!:(

I must have burnt out he fuse while I was poking around withthe screwdriver. After replacing it, the red wire now has power. Thanks for the input guys.

I'll post pics when my install is done. Unfortunatelky it will be a few days because they don't sell a kit for an AMPLIFIED stereo, so Ineed to run my ownwires tothe door speakers.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts