Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Caliber to the dealer to get an oil change (made the appointment to drop it off about 3 weeks ago). They gave me an invoice stating $40 total for the oil change.

When I tried to pick it up, they gave me a bill for $130. They then told me that the extra cost was due to the Caliber requiring synthetic oil.

I refused to pay anything more than the original estimate, so they finally gave me a new bill for the original cost.

When I got home, I read the manual again and there is nothing in it stating that the Caliber needed synthetic oil.

Should I report these guys?

By the way, these guys are also selling Mopar oil filters for the Caliber for $15 when the list cost is $7.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There isn't much you can do about the charge for parts, although their markup is a bit out of line. As for the other problem, I would start by sending a letter via registered mail to the service manager and the owner of the dealership. If they don't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, I would then contact the DCX zone office (the contact info should be in the owner's manual) and inform them of this dealer's practices.

·
Registered
447 Posts
MikeinWoodstock said:
There isn't much you can do about the charge for parts, although their markup is a bit out of line. As for the other problem, I would start by sending a letter via registered mail to the service manager and the owner of the dealership. If they don't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, I would then contact the DCX zone office (the contact info should be in the owner's manual) and inform them of this dealer's practices.
I wouldn't wait to contact the DCX zone office. This kind of asshattery is the kind of bad reputation that drives people away from a brand. I'm sure DCX would LOVE to know about what these idiots are doing. Report them and give yourself a pat on the back for it!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Holy ****. Even with synthetic oil, there's no way in hell it should cost $130 for an oil change. I can pick up 5qts of Mobil1 Synthetic for $20, and if they are charging $15 for a filter, there's no way it costs $90 in labor to do an oil change.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually, it sounds like they included a maintenance inspection package. Something you have to say no to if you want a simple oil change only.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I took my newest Caliber (the white one) in for it's first oil change today. The service writer said something about the "special oil" some Caliber's require. He raised the hood and written on the cap where you pour in the oil it said to use a certain weight oil that began with "5W". The bill was $39. The engine required a certain weight, but not synthethic. I have the 2.0 engine in my SXT.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I think that the fact that they dropped it back to the original $40 just proves to me that they were just trying to rip you off...I just love dealers when they do this, the van was in for a broken water pump yesterday and they tried to charge me $100 even through the extra warranty covers that deductible after the original 3/60 warranty runs out. I just love extended warranties when they have paid for themselves 2 to 3 times 5000km after the original 3/60 warranty runs out. any way sorry about hijacking this thread...:D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Most dealers and oil lube shops here charge about $20-$30 for an oil change. The Caliber does not require any special oil. All cars require a particular weight usually 5w-30 or 10w-30.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The caliber requires 5W-20 ;) Doesn't need to be synthetic though.

My dealer charges $30 + tax for an oil change. They charge $7 and some change for the caliber filter.. I bought one when we picked up DH's new wrangler unlimited so I won't be "stuck" going to the dealer for my oil changes (the oil change places here still don't have aftermarket filters) and I for some reason expected the filter to be more (I didn't know, just assumed). $7 is the list price from Mopar, so anywhere charging more is ripping you off - I'd definately go elsewhere. I'm honestly fine with paying $30 at the dealer for an oil change... it's just not convenient to get to the dealer... our local 10 minute oil change place is closer and faster ;)

Years ago I worked for a dodge dealer and they only charged $16 for an oil change, parts and oil included... and there was no employee discount on that. At that price it almost didn't make sense to do them myself. Plus since I worked there, I didn't exactly have to "wait" on my car.. just drop it off when I came in, and it would be ready to go when it was time to leave.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As part of the deal when I bought my SXT, I get 5 years of FREE oil changes using 5w20w oil. If you live in upstate New York, stop by ALBANY Dodge to get that.:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mobil 1 5-20 costs around $6 a quart and a mopar filter from the dealer is around $7.50.........total cost to do it yourself....approx $37.50. I would check your invoice to see what else they may have charged you for, because i dont think it should cost anynore than $60 to get someone else to do the oil change for you, even with synthetic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$34.95 labor
$85.00 parts
$10.05 tax

Both bills for the lower cost and the higher costs say the same thing "customer requests lube, engine oil, and filter change."

I think I'll let the home office know about this practice.

The thing that really got to me is that when the salesperson said that the Caliber requires synthetic oil, all the other salespeople chimed in saying that he's correct.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sleazy said:
$34.95 labor
$85.00 parts
$10.05 tax

Both bills for the lower cost and the higher costs say the same thing "customer requests lube, engine oil, and filter change."

I think I'll let the home office know about this practice.

The thing that really got to me is that when the salesperson said that the Caliber requires synthetic oil, all the other salespeople chimed in saying that he's correct.
But even then, there's no way in hell the Mopar synthetic oil for the Caliber costs $15 a quart, which is what the cost would have to be for $85 in parts, figuring in a $15 oil filter. And I havn't crawled under my Caliber to look, but if it' anything like my Dakota, which is a '00, there isn't anything to "lube" for that to cost much if anything.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe they changed ALL of your filters.....Like your air filter and cabin filter if you have one. Otherwise you definatey got taken for a ride. Personally i would tell them that, and take my business somewhere else. I'm not taking any chances........I'm doing my own oil changes unless weather plays a role in it. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself!!!!!! Sorry for the cliché

1 - 15 of 15 Posts