Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off this morning to get my winter tires put on and they just called to say that the rim wont clear the caliper.

This doesn't make sense. TireRack shows that 15" will fit. And since the SE comes with 15", I assumed the brake compnents were the same.

Anyone else try 15" on their SXT for the winter?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you located?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think you'll find that the base SE has drum brakes all around. The SXT has disks on the front. The 15" wheels fit the SE because the drum brakes are much smaller in diameter and do not have the calipers. Look at your rear brakes on the SXT, they should be drum. Only the R/T has disks all around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tigerr said:
I dropped my car off this morning to get my winter tires put on and they just called to say that the rim wont clear the caliper.

This doesn't make sense. TireRack shows that 15" will fit. And since the SE comes with 15", I assumed the brake compnents were the same.

Hmmm, I have the Base SE version and it comes with 17" steelies, i dont think any Caliber comes with 15 wheels.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Badpenny said:
I think you'll find that the base SE has drum brakes all around. The SXT has disks on the front. The 15" wheels fit the SE because the drum brakes are much smaller in diameter and do not have the calipers. Look at your rear brakes on the SXT, they should be drum. Only the R/T has disks all around.
i have the se and they have drum in the back but in the front they have disk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only the R/T has 4-wheel disc, all others have Front Disc Rear Drum.

Well I talked to Canadian Tire and they are going to take back the 15" tires and set me up with 16" ones. And the place I got my rims is also going to take back the 15" rims and get me 16" ones.

So all in all things seem ok. Though I'm still wondering why TireRack said the 15" would fit. They even confirmed it in this thread over on DodgeForums. The only thing I can think of is that the steel rims have too small of an inside diameter. The TireRack site only lists alloys, not steels for the Caliber.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xcanuk said:
Correct, I thought I mentioned that in another thread, but there are so many winter tire/rim threads lately. I assumed as well 15" would fit due to tirerack, but my dealer tried it with their demo..no go. Smallest seems to be 16"

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2897
Unfortunately I've had the tires since mid Sept. They were last years model and on sale so I picked them up then. Didn't get my Caliber until the end of Oct.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tigerr said:

LOL had the dealer tell me the same thing for my SXT, I have an old set of mags that were off my 1992 Caravan ES when I told him that I was going to put them onto my car they told me it would not fit and said that he was having a "special" for 4 17" rims and 4 tires for just $1100 install and balance inc plus tax...... guess what my Caravan mags are installed on my car with my 205/75/r15 tires and no rubbing. Total cost $314 install, balancing and tax inc. Surprise!:D *Whoo Hoo saved $900+ bucks*

It seems that the standard 15" wheel (IE Neon rims or generic rims) does not fit due to the way that the rim is constucted and the front calipers rub, with my 15" mags it fits like a charm and there has to be at least 1 1/2" to 2 inches before I touch the calipers. If I may suggest try asking for the rims for a Caravan AWD (what I had to do with my ES) as they are different than the standard Caravan rims due to the larger brakes and calipers.

The front and rear brakes are the same for the SE and the SXT the only model that is different is the R/T with the 4 wheel disks. 15' rims from a Caliber SE WILL fit the SXT therefore and 15" tires can be installed. Please note that it is my guess that the rims have to be purchased from the dealer for the Caliber.

Funny thing is that the stock tires on the Caliber SE are 205/70 R15 and when I went to get the winter tires the almost exact replacement tire for the 17" tires is the 205/75 R15 (off by -.03") does this mean that all the SE's are racking up miles quicker than an SXT or do you think that it is just recalibrated to take into effect for the smaller dimentions? Hmm...

·
Registered
294 Posts
now I'm confused, when my dealer service said he tried the 15" rims on his demo, he also mentioned its the same rims as the caravan. I did neglect to ask him if they were steelies or mags (or which caravan). What you have mentioned does make sence, there are subtle difference in mag vs steelies.
Using you logic, there must be 15" steelies available that would fit across all models, SE comes with steelies + hubcaps, right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just have a quick run by a nearby Dodge dealer and find a SE and have a peek they have the same brakes and they are running 15" tires so logic stands to reason that the original Caliber rims fit the SXT seems the dealers may be using aftermarket rims for winters instead of the factory spec. Or maybe they are just trying to get everyone to buy 17" steelies from them HEHE :rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have never heard of a car having front drum brakes

·
Registered
976 Posts
You people are just tooooo young to know about them!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts