Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad and I took my stock 2.0 SXT along with my 86 Gran Fury (the car I bracket race) to our local 1/8 mile track (KD Dragway) last night for Test & Tune night.

I didn't expect great things from my Caliber and, being new, we didn't push it. I managed a 1/8 mile ET of 12.4 at 60 mph and Dad had a 11.9 at 62. We think it would do better on the 1/4 mile as the car seemed to get peppier near the end of our 1/8 mile run. I'm going to take it to National Trail in October to see what I do on the 1/4 mile.

Anyway, we had fun last night and a number of people at the track liked the looks of my Caliber. Here's picture at the track--

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=91&pictureid=556

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Cool. i would tend to agree that the 1/4 mile might be more interesting. Did you manually shift the car?

Tell me about the 86 Grand Fury too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. i would tend to agree that the 1/4 mile might be more interesting. Did you manually shift the car?

Tell me about the 86 Grand Fury too.
I didn't shift manually, but my dad did on one pass and he said it was hard to figure it out---he ran about 13 at 51 mph.

My Gran Fury doesn't like the heat or humidity and it was hot and humid last night. I made 4 passes with the best being an 11.5. When the weather is cooler, I consistently get around 11.2 and on race days I usually do OK and sometimes make it through a couple of elim rounds.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'd have the shifter in the L position. Another idea is to remove the battery box/air intake. This unfortunately will draw in warm air but is less restrictive with the larger opening. I have an air intake mod on mines and it does a whole lot more difference.

But try it again in the L position, push the accelerator pedal down about 1/2 way for about 2 seconds and then fully depress to the floor. That works for my car as like you mentioned, once this car gets going the cvt does a nice job without any shift lag. I also does pull stronger as the speed builds. Also ever notice how the cvt works great drivng uphills at highway speeds.

Anyways congrats on this experiment. We don't have any tracks where I live so I have to do illegal highway runs to see what my cars got.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd have the shifter in the L position. Another idea is to remove the battery box/air intake. This unfortunately will draw in warm air but is less restrictive with the larger opening. I have an air intake mod on mines and it does a whole lot more difference.

But try it again in the L position, push the accelerator pedal down about 1/2 way for about 2 seconds and then fully depress to the floor. That works for my car as like you mentioned, once this car gets going the cvt does a nice job without any shift lag. I also does pull stronger as the speed builds. Also ever notice how the cvt works great drivng uphills at highway speeds.

Anyways congrats on this experiment. We don't have any tracks where I live so I have to do illegal highway runs to see what my cars got.
My car has the 6-speed Autostick, so I don't have the L position. Any ideas what I can try in terms of shifting?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My car has the 6-speed Autostick, so I don't have the L position. Any ideas what I can try in terms of shifting?
I don't have the autostick but I noticed that these engines with the cvt likes the rpms high and constant. Try manual shifting the car first from the (-) position and do a 2 second at 1/2 throttle and then stomp it to full throttle. At that point pay attention to the rpms and let it rev at or close to the redline. Do not upshift til you gain those rpms and keep the pedal on the floor throughout the run.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My wife used to have an SXT with the CVT. Sadly just not a lot of balls especially from a stop. :(

It is neat you took it to the track. One thing about automatics, they are good bracket racers and are very consistent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts