Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

maybe someone knows something....

i will get my CRD SXT next week. and waiting for it many weird ideas stuck in my brain maybe for to long are poping up (carpc etc.)

now is the CRD with its 120hp is a VW 140hp restricted by a chip... are there mod-chips out there?
would there be a gain in Nm when replacing the chip?

any ideas? any known hardware?

cheers

thomas

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
uh.. i guess, there are no CRD-drivers here....

and i guess, there would be a lot more if you would have had the chance to take it on a testdrive... :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
thrhymes said:
uh.. i guess, there are no CRD-drivers here....

and i guess, there would be a lot more if you would have had the chance to take it on a testdrive... :)
Just take a few minutes surfing through Ebay (Germany), looking for "tdi powerbox" and your questions will be answered!

You have to look for a box for the "Pumpe/Düse" engines though - the name "CRD" (for common rail diesel?) ist somewhat missleading in this particular case, since the Caliber definitely comes with the P/D engine.

example

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
oh well.. i did not think of that. thank you

and well.. it is not legal to use it, right?

·
Registered
160 Posts
thrhymes said:
oh well.. i did not think of that. thank you

and well.. it is not legal to use it, right?
No, it is not legal at all , but:

a.) it does make sense (performance-wise)
b.) it does not harm your engine unless you're operating it @ peak power 24/7
c.) who t.. f... cares? ;)

As long as the NVM of the car does not recognize and/or save the installation of those boxes (which it certainly doesn't), your warranty will not be touched.
All you have to do is removing that box prior to shop visits which is done in no time though.

And the cops will be quite busy, once they start to check each and any TDI whether they have a powerbox installed or not :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Swoop you answered your own question realy the lump comes from a 140PDI Golf plant so all you need to do is get the engine code of a 140 TDI or PDI what ever the Vdubs call them these days and you can check out revo or superchips as long as you get the right engine code you can pair it up to the ECU. Should get my Diesel in a month time, by the way this is an american website they can't get the diesel plant! sorry dudes they might if you ask enough or it does well here!

·
Registered
901 Posts
clipperjay said:
Should get my Diesel in a month time, by the way this is an american website they can't get the diesel plant! sorry dudes they might if you ask enough or it does well here!
Thanks for joining the forum TODAY. We've had international members for quite some time now (who are very much aware the Caliber is a US brand)... and we welcome them with open arms!!

FYI, there have been several threads discussing the differences between North American and European spec Calibers. Very interesting to see what's available (or not) on both sides of the globe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Dodge.co.uk website quotes 138bhp for the 2.0ltre diesel.

So why do you think its a reduced 120bhp engine setup?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
simply because it is. look at the austrian dodge-page at the price-list

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has this reduction been done for Austrian restrictions or is it European as a whole !
If so...can we talk about a 'powerbox' some more.

It says 140PS on the dodge.de site is PS Deutch fur Horsepower ??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Q Kathy
Thanks for joining the forum TODAY. We've had international members for quite some time now (who are very much aware the Caliber is a US brand)... and we welcome them with open arms!!

FYI, there have been several threads discussing the differences between North American and European spec Calibers. Very interesting to see what's available (or not) on both sides of the globe.
Kathy thanks for having me!:D

Q xlr8
The Dodge.co.uk website quotes 138bhp for the 2.0ltre diesel.

So why do you think its a reduced 120bhp engine setup?
Xlr8 the reasons are becuase it's a diesel and it has a turbo! The torque or power required from the the turbo can meet the same power to weight ratio's as a petrol.
Also you forget that the fuel grades are different in the UK like Ron98 as US it's Ron95 I think? Hence in the UK japanese imports like EVO's or suburu have larger engines compared to UK becuase it compensates for octane levels in the fuel which is why they are sort after becuase its bigger @ Ron98.
I think I've stated it correctly if I'm understanding your question. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's only austria and it seems the put a "Restiction-Box" in... damn, where could that thing be?

·
Registered
160 Posts
thrhymes said:
it's only austria and it seems the put a "Restiction-Box" in... damn, where could that thing be?
Just go ahead and send an email to one of those guys who sell those "Powerboxes" on Ebay! If one knows, which button to press for a power enhancement, he'd most probably know a lot 'bout restrictions too.

And don't forget to pass any information you get to the forum, just in case that some members fear their 140horse and like to cut some of them.....NOT?:D

btw - would you mind to explain the why and what about that rather silly (self)restriction of austrian car dealers!? Sounds pretty senseless to me and I didn't get any information about it through Google either!?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Been talking to a guy who has had VW's for years, buys nothing else, he said that it was a restriction actually 'chipped' into the management chip to limit to 120bhp.

You will need to get it re-chipped apparently but it gets better, the VW 2.0 Litre TDI can be chipped up to its full working capacity of 170bhp. So it seams that even our 138bhp output has been nobbled as well !

I think that a powerbox may be the solution but I need ten tons more info before I start buggering about and upsetting the dynamics of the car..when I get it of course.

It seams to me to be a bit like over clocking the CPU in a Computer as some guys do. A 2.0 gig for example can be clocked up to 2.8 or higher, but then the cooling fan needs to be upgraded too. So if we did get 170 bhp from the engine what would we need to upgrade as well to compensate for the extra power ??

Hmmm tricky techy stuff that may well best be left alone !

·
Registered
160 Posts
xlr8 said:
I think that a powerbox may be the solution but I need ten tons more info before I start buggering about and upsetting the dynamics of the car..when I get it of course.

Hmmm tricky techy stuff that may well best be left alone !
Being one of those tricky technicians myself (not in the car business though) I'd tried to explain, how those Powerboxes work with the VW 2.0 TDI (nozzle integrated pump) engine.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21103&postcount=35

Its not overly detailed, but at least you should be able to catch the main point of how these devices work!?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its partly a tax-thing and on the other hand they said it is to get the consumption down to a point austrian buyers are (statistically calculated or something) expecting from a diesel-car...

my car is a social drinker... everytime "we" are togehter it drinks a lot.

they claim torque is not affected by it... yeah, like i would buy that...

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
xlr8 said:
Thanks swoop !

And heres a place in the UK that sells them.
http://www.bluechiptuning.co.uk/

This is now looking very interesting !

The Dodge isnt in the list of course but I suspect we have the same engine as the VW Touran 2.0 tdi 16V
http://www.bluechiptuning.co.uk/products/VW_Touran_2_0_tdi_16V_140_BHP-5054-68.html

It promises to deliver an extra 20 hp to give an output of 160 hp..wahooo ! that will be very nice.

I think I will order one of those little babies !
Your welcome xlr8 ;)

As for the Powerbox, try this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDI-Diesel-Tuning-Chip-PD-PRO-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-FORD_W0QQitemZ290015034848QQihZ019QQcategoryZ32094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a lot cheaper and seems to work quite well - at least according to his feedbacks!?

I'd give that one a try, since this power-chipping is no rocket sience at all and should work pretty well even without a fancy blue anodized case.

If it does not supply the power you ecpect - put it back on ebay and off it goes without doing too much harm to your pocket book :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts