Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm new here. I've been looking for a new car for a while now and the caliber is now one of my considerations. I test drove a R/T awd a few weeks back and wasn't too impressed with the performance. I did like the space/ interior of the car (not use to the ride height though). i was wondering if i should go back an test an SXT 2.0 for about $2K less. How much different is the performance on that? And i hear about several problems on here that people have had with their calibers and it kinda of makes me nervous...so any info/ opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Other cars i've been looking into include the 2007:
Mazda 3 Hatch
Hyundai Elantra se
nissan sentra
Honda civic LX

·
Registered
687 Posts
YES, test drive a SXT and see what you think.

I own one (See FUN Picture Thread) and also build them. The biggest thing to get use to is the feel of the CVT.

·
Registered
683 Posts
When I test drove a Caliber I too was not impressed with the performance. It felt sluggish. Basically I punched it to see what it would do. After awhile it became apparant this isn't the thing to do. The Caliber uses a CVT transmission which takes a little getting use to. Fastest accelleration is not achieved with pedal to the floor techniques. Learning to keep the engine in it's power band is key.

The other issue I and many others have found is that the 2.0 and 2.4L engines are rather tight when new. I now have 10,000 miles on mine and the performance increase is substantial and mpg has increased about 5mpg over what it was when new.

On the highway my Caliber SXT does not slow down for nothing! It easily cruises at 75mph + (ok, 90+ but don't tell any cops) and climbs mountain grades with ease.

·
Registered
687 Posts
:D SXT 110mph very nice and I currently have a ticket to prove it. It's the fastest I've ever drove anything I've ever had.

The SXT tires have a speed rating of 118 so 110 would be best to stay at even though it was still climbing when I let off the gas more than once.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah I agree with early performance on the Caliber. That was my #1 complaint. Every other vehicle we owned was a lot quicker than my R/T Caliber. Our 4 cyl Ford Fusion and 6 Cyl Ford Escape were monsters compared to the Caliber.

Now, with 12,000 miles on it, MPG is up, and I think I could hold my own against the Fusion, if we still had it, we have a V6 Milan now. The Caliber isn't even in the same ballpark as the Milan in speed (or build quality unfortunately).

The R/T picks up after awhile, the dealers need to have test Caliber's with 15,000 miles on them, not brand new ones.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Mitsu4Now said:
]I test drove a R/T awd a few weeks back and wasn't too impressed with the performance.
Try to find a used Caliber with a few thousand miles on it to test drive. My guess is your impressions will be different. Also as mentioned, the CVT takes some getting used to.

Mitsu4Now said:
And i hear about several problems on here that people have had with their calibers and it kinda of makes me nervous...so any info/ opinions would be appreciated.
Go to any web forum for any vehicle, and you will see lots of threads about problems. You won't find a single car forum that doesn't have any posts about problems. People will post more about problems they have than about saying the car runs good. That's part of what the online community is for. Support and help when you have problems. You won't see many threads from people talking about how well thier car has ran since thier last post, because if there is nothing wrong, then there's really not much to post about. Add to it that the Caliber is a new vehicle and all new models will have thier little quirks and bugs that will get worked out over time. And that fact that there are a lot more people who use the internet now buying cars and using the internet to help them with that decision.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check out the 0-60 times and compare them with something else you consider is faster. The Caliber feals slower than my Shadow es with a 3.0L V6, but when I do a 0-60 timing test, it is the same as the Caliber. The cvt makes it feal slow, when it is not reallt that bad. I was test driving one and my wife asked why I slowed down suddendly. It was because I hit 80 in a 50 without realizing I was going that fast.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Mitsu4Now said:
Hey, i'm new here. I've been looking for a new car for a while now and the caliber is now one of my considerations. I test drove a R/T awd a few weeks back and wasn't too impressed with the performance. I did like the space/ interior of the car (not use to the ride height though). i was wondering if i should go back an test an SXT 2.0 for about $2K less. How much different is the performance on that? And i hear about several problems on here that people have had with their calibers and it kinda of makes me nervous...so any info/ opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Other cars i've been looking into include the 2007:
Mazda 3 Hatch
Hyundai Elantra se
nissan sentra
Honda civic LX
I hope you mean the new style sentra...as the old one is nothing to me at all. We got stuck with one as a rental while the truck is getting fixed right now and I cant understand why so many people have them, its too low, small, and holy grey plastic special!! - the people who complain about the caliber having a cheap interior need to drive or even ride in one of these cars...now granted this isnt an altima or maxima and that may have been my problem, i was expecting so much after riding/driving a friends altima and was uterly amazed as to how much "nothing" i feel for this car. I cant drive it as it is a rental and i am a car enthusiast like crazy, counted down to drive and i honestly dont even care if i was able to drive this car or not.

Now mind you that new Sentra looks really nice!!!...
I like the civic, and the mazda 3 but not enough to buy them (they are both really nice cars dont get me wrong)
..and my cousin has an elantra with no probs yet that i know of

I'm getting a Caliber soon because it is what i feel to be the best car for me at this point (the 14mpg in the truck is killer) and the above is just my personal opinion so take it as you will, the most important thing is that YOU like the car that you ultimatly buy and YOU are happy with it. I too was concerned after seeing the problems here too but it seems as though there are not any currently built problems that are plagued with the same problems, and this is what i am counting on for my caliber!!

Hope this didnt come acroos too strong:eek:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
and holy grey plastic special!! - the people who complain about the caliber having a cheap interior need to drive or even ride in one of these cars...
Sat in a Chevy HHR at the San Diego Autoshow and I thought the exact same thing. People complain about the "cheap" plastic on the Caliber, but the HHR was even worse IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UN4GTBL said:
I hope you mean the new style sentra...
I do, I haven't driven one yet but plan on it. i may just wait a couple months until the SE-R comes out and try that.

I like the look of the caliber and the price isn't too bad, but the only thing i don't really like is the gas mileage (24/27 in the R/T) Although it is kind of close to my current car, but looking at the mpg's of the other cars, it makes it unappealing...

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Mitsu4Now said:
I do, I haven't driven one yet but plan on it. i may just wait a couple months until the SE-R comes out and try that.

I like the look of the caliber and the price isn't too bad, but the only thing i don't really like is the gas mileage (24/27 in the R/T) Although it is kind of close to my current car, but looking at the mpg's of the other cars, it makes it unappealing...
i saw the pics of that an it looks good!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you look at the MPG you should consider that AWD models are consistent with MPG numbers from Subaru's Impreza, Legacy and Forester models. I don't think the performance difference between the 2.0L and the 2.4L is that noticeable, but the MPG is much better with the smaller engine. Only thing that sucks is that you can't get the manual with the 2.0L, only the 1.8L (which has great MPG number's BTW).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts