1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your steering wheel's on the wrong side.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Some thoughts as I skimmed over the review...

1. Gee, there are now 4 MORE new models for the robots to deal with?

2. Very interesting that they are marketing Solar Yellow when the factory is no longer painting in that color. Or maybe they are painting "x" number of Calibers in yellow for each country as the car gets rolled out there?

3. Wonder why the R/T will be late availability to Australia.

4. Page 6 says, "This is Chrysler Group’s first vehicle in which customers can lock the car only by using the key fob. Pressing the inside lock knob or using the power-lock switch with the door open and then closing the door will not lock the Caliber’s doors." Oh really....?! I can lock mine by pressing the lock switch before I close the door.

Is this an Australia-only feature, or is it changed across-the-board?
(And who the heck edited Page 6 anyway!!!! The information repeats FOUR TIMES!! LOL)

5. Page 9 says that the fuel requirement (they said "requirement", not "recommended") is 91 octane!! But for the exact same engines, we are told 87????

6. Also Page 9. They get a 6-speed manual tranny with the 2.0L diesel engine. I thought the 6-spd was only for the SRT/4??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and Hello, while waiting my caliber, I pop up :)

The awd R/T models are also unavailable in Italy, all the models here are front wheel drive and it sounds very strange for an american car as the rear wheel drive is commonly used. Personally I prefer oversteer to understeer and rear wheel drive but I like a lot the model and I'll try to like the "noob mode"

I think that the 6 speed gearbox on diesel engines is due to the high torque at low revs, the diagram of the petrol and diesel engines are very different, so it can happen that the gearbox and/or the transmission break soon if the power is not split in several gears because the usable range is at lower revs. It's common sense that diesel engines are better coupled with an automatic gearbox and actually they have also a (little) turbine to modify the power curve. I think that 6 gears are not fun but boring, however I never used an automatic transmission on a car, it's easy but you can't use the engine-break properly and so I think it put excessive stress on the brakes, expecially if the roads where you live are not large and straight and you have to slow down a lot of times. I don't know if the engine of the srt/4 has a torque diagram that justify a 6-spd gearbox or if it's only a show off thing

About the aussie version of the caliber I guess how much grip have those tyres to keep the car on the road while you're driving upside down :)

(sorry for my bad broken english >blush< )

·
Registered
160 Posts
@DodgeGirlKathy - 6speed manual for the CRD is correct. Thats the only tranny currently available for the Diesel over her in Europe and oviously in Australia too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you need the 6-speed to put that diesel-torque on the road at higher speeds.it is just great what the car is capable of doing in the 6t gear...

·
Registered
775 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Some thoughts as I skimmed over the review...
5. Page 9 says that the fuel requirement (they said "requirement", not "recommended") is 91 octane!! But for the exact same engines, we are told 87????
I don't know about Australia, but the octane ratings for the U.S. and Europe are different. I would assume that Australia uses the European system.

In Europe, the octane rating system is called RON or Research Octane Number while in the U.S. the ocatane rating system is called AKI or Anti-Knock Index. They use the same name, i.e. "octane", but use a different set of calculations to determine the number given. As a general rule, if you multiply the European octane rating by 0.95, you will get the equivalent U.S. rating.

91 octane European (and I assume Australian) equals 86.54 (87 rounded) octane U.S.

So, while the numbers may be different, the octane ratings are equal.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for explaining that, Michael!

·
Registered
775 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Thanks for explaining that, Michael!
Not a problem. Being an American living in Europe (since 1998), I've had to learn some of the differences in the systems and learn to convert what their system tells me to terms I learned all my life. I just glad I could offer some of my limited knowledge to help clear that up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all,
im aussie and i have a caliber, its an SXT... ive noticed several things that are different on mine to the american ones... such as...
1. the back seat head rests are different... i have three individual headrests, and the pics that i have seen of american ones just have the two headrests attatched to the seats
2. the specifications are different too... i wanted an R/T with leather and a silver bit round the radio etc, but was told it couldnt be done...

and theres a few others, but i cant really remember them off the top of my head. so yeah... i love my car tho!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
toasty_peas said:
hey all,
im aussie and i have a caliber, its an SXT... ive noticed several things that are different on mine to the american ones... such as...
1. the back seat head rests are different... i have three individual headrests, and the pics that i have seen of american ones just have the two headrests attatched to the seats
2. the specifications are different too... i wanted an R/T with leather and a silver bit round the radio etc, but was told it couldnt be done...

and theres a few others, but i cant really remember them off the top of my head. so yeah... i love my car tho!!
Welcome to the forum and you are correct about the rest of the world getting all the good stuff while us Canadians and Americans get the cheapie version.:(

·
Registered
689 Posts
Could be the rest of the world requires better stuff than we are willing to just accept. Fold away mirrors should be requirement PERIOD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts