Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2008 Caliber SRT4 base MSRP will be $22,435 + $560 destination =$22,995

*** Ordering banks are open as of October 2nd, 2007 ***

First date of production November 1st (delayed from 9/17)

Confirmed Key features at launch:

POWERTRAIN
· SRT-engineered 2.4L intercooled turbocharged engine producing 285 hp & 265 ft lbs torque
· 6300 RPM Redline with 6500 RPM fuel cutoff
· 6 speed manual Getrag transmission
· Center stack mounted short-throw shifter
· Leather shift boot and leather shift knob with chrome finish

INTERIOR
· SRT unique leather-wrapped steering wheel with remote audio controls
· Turbo Boost Gauge - located in IP
· Red accent stitching on seats, steering wheel and shift boot
· Alloy silver IP & shift bezel finish
· Race-inspired deeply bolstered front cloth seats

EXTERIOR
· SRT unique hood with functional hood scoop
· SRT unique front and rear fascia
· Functional brake ducts
· SRT unique lower sill moldings
· SRT unique rear spoiler
· 4 exterior colors: Brilliant Black, Bright Silver, Inferno Red, Sunburst Orange

CHASSIS
· Low restriction exhaust system - 3" tubing with unique tip
· New 19" Cast Aluminum painted wheels (optional polished wheel)
· Performance 4 wheel antilock disc brakes w/vented front rotors & red painted calipers
· 1" lower ride height
· ESP and Traction Control with Brake Locking Differential
· 225/45R19 W rated 4 season tires standard
· 225/45R19 Z rated 3 season tires optional

--ResumeSpeed--

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can, but he wont/cant tell you. But, that doesnt matter. Becuase ResumeSpeed is like Dr Who, the real deal. His info is correct. He's been making these sort of announcements in the SRT-8 world for quite a while now, and he's always right.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Excellent. Thanks again for the info. That confirms up the Sept 16th date that I found a few weeks ago (just one day off).

Now, when it comes out I will be there to try one and might get one of the first. But, as always with HP cars the dealers seem to add their padding into them and I really don't want to do that on this car.

Friend of mine did it on the 50th aniversary Corvette and he paid over 8,000 more just to get one first! Won't see that back ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool. Any option prices? Do you know how many they plan on producing this year? Is there a set number for now and see how it goes or just a certain number they will produce this year? Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's the official press release: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/21/dodge-caliber-srt4-starts-at-22-995/

One neat bit:

"Inside, the all-new Caliber SRT4 boasts sport seating with deep, performance bolsters, an SRT race-inspired instrument design, and an optional Reconfigurable Display (RCD), with exclusive "performance pages" that provide lateral and longitudinal G-force, 1/8-mile and 1/4-mile acceleration time and speed, 0-60 mph time and braking distance.Inside, the all-new Caliber SRT4 boasts sport seating with deep, performance bolsters, an SRT race-inspired instrument design, and an optional Reconfigurable Display (RCD), with exclusive "performance pages" that provide lateral and longitudinal G-force, 1/8-mile and 1/4-mile acceleration time and speed, 0-60 mph time and braking distance."

Lateral G's? SWEET!

Now I wonder if that rumored "stripper" model for $19k is still going to happen...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'll be not. Of course, you can buy the loaded one, and strip it and sell the parts:) See, the problem there is that the relatively small weight savings you get from stripping usually dont give enough of a benefit to make the effort worthwhile. Not enough buyers willing to sacrifice comfort for what ends up being .1-.2 gain.

·
Registered
312 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I'll be not. Of course, you can buy the loaded one, and strip it and sell the parts:) See, the problem there is that the relatively small weight savings you get from stripping usually dont give enough of a benefit to make the effort worthwhile. Not enough buyers willing to sacrifice comfort for what ends up being .1-.2 gain.
I'd rather just put the $3000 into a big turbo kit or a limited slip and some coilovers, rather than have the leather interior, 19" rims, etc.

It's still a good value at $23k, the only reason I ask about the stripper is because it was mentioned along with an accurate prediction of the final pricing a few months back. Plus, Dodge could once again claim the "fastest car under $20k", EVAR!

·
Registered
17 Posts
If they make the stripper model, I don't think it will be for weight savings so much as cost savings. Is amazing how many more people would consider that vehicle if there was a version with a $19,995 sticker as opposed to $22,995.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont think as many as you think, Chris:) They have to trade off the increased cost (See below) with the amount of projected sales, and see if they can still make a profit. If not, they cant make the car. And there are examples of cars like this they can point to to see how strippers sell.

(Yep, increased, becuase changes on the production line, not to mention the cost of engineeering blankoffs for interior stuff, either idler pullies for accessories, or a different belt for cars so equipped. Ive been told by Navy logisitics types that adding a new part number adds about a million to a project budget. Say making two variants of a simple thing like a pod the size of a toaster. Its about life cycle costs, cradle to grave. You not only have to produce the different parts, you have to produce spares for the projected lifetime of your support for that part. There were 1,000 GLHS's made in 1987. There are STILL parts made just for those cars in inventory, 20 years later. Not many, but still there )

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
not as cheap as i would have thought as an MS3 sport (which has a mechanical lsd) is 21k
oh man... i hear ya. that's more than i paid for my wrx...hopefully they plan on negotiating on price if I am to buy one. I was really hoping for a model less than 20k to start.:mad:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
stickered for 24900 ..i had to beat em up pretty bad on the price. my point was they had better be willing to negotiate well off sticker for me to even consider it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
$23000!!! SCREW THAT AND SCREW DODGE!!! Someone tell me what happened to 19 grand!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I dont think as many as you think, Chris:) They have to trade off the increased cost (See below) with the amount of projected sales, and see if they can still make a profit. If not, they cant make the car. And there are examples of cars like this they can point to to see how strippers sell.

(Yep, increased, becuase changes on the production line, not to mention the cost of engineeering blankoffs for interior stuff, either idler pullies for accessories, or a different belt for cars so equipped. Ive been told by Navy logisitics types that adding a new part number adds about a million to a project budget. Say making two variants of a simple thing like a pod the size of a toaster. Its about life cycle costs, cradle to grave. You not only have to produce the different parts, you have to produce spares for the projected lifetime of your support for that part. There were 1,000 GLHS's made in 1987. There are STILL parts made just for those cars in inventory, 20 years later. Not many, but still there )
I would say, based on the fact that the Evo, WRX, and Mazdaspeed3 all have "stripper models" or essentially cheaper decontented versions available at cheaper price points for enthusiasts, that there must be a proven market for it. Regardless of actual sales, cars like that are good for sales of the model line because they get into the hands of hardcore enthusiasts and raise brand recognition, think Neon ACR. Never sold a ton of them, but it certainly got a good racing reputation for the Neon!

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is a market, but is it enough to make a profit on those cars? SRT isnt allowed by their charter to make a car they cant make money on, it was part of the basic deal they made to be allowed to exist.

Maybe they would love to, but cant make a business case that works? The SRT ACR wasnt a stripper, as I recall, maybe thats a clue. Maybe without those extras, it becomes a loss.

I know why folks want them, but I just dont think SRT can make one. Or should I say make one and make money.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.