Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody else install a set of 235/35R19 Tyres on the Factory 19x7.5 SRT Rims???

It came recommended to me from a "Buddy" of mine... he even sent me pics of tire fitment and several autocross wins.

I'm just wondering how hacked off the tire shop is going to be at me.

Proof is in the Pictures:

Arrived at the Office

Tyre Tag

Up in the Air

Driver Side Front Up in the Air

Side Shot

Angle Shot

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely trust my "Buddy".... I was just wondering if anyone else had done that drastic a change on the stock wheels.

I ran the calculator... and I could give two craps about the speedo error.
I want to put the most meat on the ground, and retain the stock 19" Wheels.

I am looking to run in G Stock Class in the Solo II Events this coming summer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It all depends on the manufacture specifications:

235/35R19
Rim Width 8.0"-9.5"
25.5" Diameter

245/40R19
Rim Width 8.0"-9.5"
26.7 Diameter

245/45R19
Rim Width 7.5"-9.0"
29.6 Diameter

I don't want a tall series tire... too much flex on the sidewalls.

I am going to get a set of the 235/35R19 Tires and I'll let you guys know how it turns out, and how they perform.

They come highly recommended from my "Buddy", and I trust his mechanical input... so I won't be the first to put them on a CSRT-4.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so wait now 245/40 works for the stock rim with no issues?
The manufacture that I am looking at recommends a rim width of 8.0"-9.5" for that series tire.

So with a little extra forearm you could probably get them to squeeze on.

Another note:
I am talking about running these tires on Stock SRT 19"x7.5" Wheels, and completely Stock Suspension.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont think they are recommended, but I do believe 245/45 works with the stock rim.
I think that tire will fit the Stock Rim...

But that series of tire weighs almost 30 lbs....
the 235/35R19 weighs in at a little under 25 lbs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tyres have been ordered... they'll be here the first of next week since they are coming out of Louisiana.

I'll get them installed the same day they arrive.

We'll see how much ky I have to use to get them to fit the Stock Rim.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What did you end up ordering?
Kumho Ecsta SPT
235/35R19 91Y 320AA A

A certain website had a banging deal on these tyres... it get's awesome reviews... and for the amount of money I can't ever complain.

They'll arrive today... which is awesome because I ordered them Friday.

It's raining outside... so I probably won't get pics today, but the tires will get installed today.

I can't wait to put them to test come February 28th!!!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm running 235/35 19" on my winter wheels. I regret that tbh.
and it doesn't look good IMO. Too much room between tires and fender on a stock chassis.
Thanks for the input... but I am going to a lower profile tire to get rid of the sidewall and to get more width.

I have to run stock suspension since I am going to be running G-Stock.

Plus... the added benefit of dropping the weight of the tire = less rotational mass.

My car doesn't see any aggressive driving on the street... only highway mileage... and it will be seeing Solo II Events when those start here at the end of February.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I see theres a new tire for our car in the stock size. Rated #1 on TireRack too and its not priced too bad.

Potenza RE760 Sport
$176/tire
Yeah I saw those... but the price of the Kumhos couldn't be beat with a stick.

Plus... I was wanting to get rid of sidewall.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Original Post has added Pictures.

235/35R19 Kumho Ecsta SPT
They do fit the Stock 19"x7.5" Rim.
You're going to need a tyre shop that is used to dealing with
"low" profile tyres.

My tyre guy had no issues installing them, or getting the beads to set.

I know a lot of people are going to say they don't like the look, and "My Lord what has that done to your gearing"...

Number 1:
I am not going for looks... I am getting rid of the sidewall flex.
The SRT now rides glass smooth on the highway... no road noise at all... it rides like a dream again.

Number 2:
Gearing - I don't know what the issue is... but with the factory 225/45R19 I'd pull 2K RPM in 6th gear, and the speedo would read 60mph.
With the 235/35R19 Installed, the same thing... 2K RPM in 6th gear nets me 60mph. I don't know what to tell you.

If it wasn't raining and 27 degrees outside I would have run the EVIC and seen if there were any immediate performance improvements.

The car and wheels are dirty because it has been "dirty" in Texas for the last 4 weeks... with no end in sight.

The true test will come in March, when I start autocrossing again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
But on the gearing, its not really messing up the gearing so much as a evic.
Your car reads your mph off of your trans, it should show 2k=60 no matter what tire you put on. it wont realize what speed your really going. Cool part: a dealer can adjust it with a starscan I believe, not 100% sure on that though, but check with them, it shouldnt be bad at all.

Edit: Just looked at the pics... As long as you like it, good for you. Not really my cup of tea.
No offense to your setup, but I'll still hold firm to recommending 245/40 for anyone else reading this, its slightly shorter than stock, close enough to retain evic reading, and wont be hell if u find a pot hole.
I'll have to swing by my dealer connection and see if he'll hook up the Star Scan for me... I seem to remember an option to adjust when you run different wheels and tires in the TIP Module.

For what I'll be using the car for... I think the 235/35R19 will be perfect... but for everyday road use I by all means will be recommending a tire with more side wall.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
that looks so silly its not even funny. maybe if the car was dropped i could learn to like it, but idk.
I didn't do it for looks... and I didn't do it for you... so I am sorry you don't like it.

I wanted four main things:
1. Decreased Sidewall - No Tyre Flex
2. Decreased Tyre Weight - Decreased Rotational Mass
3. Performance Increase - Softer Tyre Compound
4. Stay within SCCA "Stock" Classification

Had we not received 8" of snow Saturday Night, then I would have been able to run in the SCCA Solo II Event yesterday.

I'll get her washed up today and get some clean pictures... it doesn't loook half bad... but the performance is night and day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts