Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the DCX media site.

Year to date sales of the Dodge Caliber in the US, are 50,881 units, including 7,187 sold in July.

Other months:

June, 12,098 sold,
May, 12,422 sold,
April, 11,235 sold,
March, 6,541 sold,
February (first month of sales), 1,397 sold

(adds up to 50,880! I am missing 1! :confused: )

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
A 40% drop in sales for the Caliber between June and July just doesn't make sense. Assuming your June number is correct, I can only think that factors other than desirability are involved. Yesterday I couldn't leave a parking spot until the questions about my beautiful car from two people who tapped on my window (separately) were answered. As one was asking his questions another walked up to question me about the car. Is it availability? Did all the rent car orders that took precedence pump up the early numbers? Is the factory having more problems producing the cars than we realize? Between my experience with interested people tapping on my window and seeing the derth of Calibers at the dealerships, I find it hard to believe the star of this car is already descending.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
donsmith said:
A 40% drop in sales for the Caliber between June and July just doesn't make sense. Assuming your June number is correct, I can only think that factors other than desirability are involved.

... I find it hard to believe the star of this car is already descending.
Just to be clear, these numbers are from the DCX website, they are not mine.

Chrysler proper has a disastrous July company wide (down 34%) , in fact, almost ALL manufacturers had a poor July. I would not worry too much, in fact, I welcome the fact that there are not Calibers everywhere on the road (yet). I like the uniqueness.

Here is a general press release for other car makers in July: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-08-01-sales_x.htm?csp=N003

·
Registered
911 Posts
Its low because the assembly plant is having problems so they couldn't produce enough. Thats the problem, the damn assembly keeps breaking down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sean, yes, I understood that the current numbers were from DCX and I meant it when I said "assuming" your June numbers were correct because I had no reason to doubt you. I looked at the current numbers directly on the website as well. I'm with OrangeCaliberSXT in thinking it's plant problems that's choking the Caliber sales. Can you imagine? The suits are probably sitting around thinking "You mean, we lost about five THOUSAND Caliber sales in July because of these plant robots? FIVE THOUSAND cars that could have been sold to help during our otherwise diastrous July?" That's GOT to hurt!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think its about gotten to the point that DXC has proven that they are run by people who still don't understand the car business. Caliber orders are backing up, hottest car they have, and they still want to push stupid robots, that aren't cutting it, to build other models that slow Caliber builds. Thats just stupid.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah my salesman and I were talking about that the other day. It makes absolutely no sense at all to start producing the Compass right now. Caliber orders are going through the roof and they can't even begin to make them fast enough and are getting more and more behind everyday. They should have waited until around November to officially start production of the Compass and then a couple of months later, start producing the Patriot.

OR

Produce the Compass and Patriot in a different assembly plant.

IMHO, I think the Caliber needs its own assembly plant right now. Maybe 2 years down the road it won't, but right now it needs its own plant. They're selling that well!

One thing Chrysler shouldn't have is stop production of all of their fuel efficient vehicles all at once. What were they thinking!!!! And they didn't think Caliber sales would be this great? Who in their right mind is going to out and get a HEMI Charger, Magnum, Jeep, or Ram that gets 20-25 MPG or less depending on the vehicle? Not most people.

The only reason why Ram sales are up is because they basically gave them away. Hell I could have bought a 2006 RAM Sport for just a little more money than my Caliber between my trade amount and the rebates.

·
Registered
689 Posts
To me, the biggest part that shows up higher management is the fact they want to make the Caliber a "World Car". Thats great, but you would have to be the dumbest manager in the world to want one assembly line to make Calibers for the American market and the world market, and then try to mess that up with other cars on the same line.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ejfb said:
To me, the biggest part that shows up higher management is the fact they want to make the Caliber a "World Car". Thats great, but you would have to be the dumbest manager in the world to want one assembly line to make Calibers for the American market and the world market, and then try to mess that up with other cars on the same line.
That's the way things were last year with the 300's, Charger's & Magnums. They were all made in Brampton, ON. For the European market, they're made in Austria, and if you can believe this, soon to be in China for the Asian market. If demands continue, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with the Caliber. They're already working at full capacity with 3 shifts now.

Medic

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Medic said:
That's the way things were last year with the 300's, Charger's & Magnums. They were all made in Brampton, ON. For the European market, they're made in Austria, and if you can believe this, soon to be in China for the Asian market. If demands continue, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with the Caliber. They're already working at full capacity with 3 shifts now.

Medic
Sorry to bring the PT into this...

When the PT started, there were demands like crazy, I knew people who waited 9 months, 11 was the longest I knew. 7 was average. All PTs were/are made in Mexico.

They started another line in Gras Austria IIRC. What happened next? Too many PTs! Prices went down, resell prices plummeted, rebates happened,... there were just too many. Austria **** down the PT production. Demand started to rise.

MAYBE, DC sees this happening with the Cali, is and is creating a DEMAND for these such that prices are high, rebates are none, and the mystique will still be there come spring when buying peaks again.

Or, it could just be that July sucked sales wise. Your call... :rolleyes:

As far as Brampton Assembly goes, I live next door to the plant and see 100's of these cars just sitting, waiting for shipments. That plant shut for 2-3 weeks in July, maybe another reason why sales went down in July- no new ones were being built during the shut down.

S

·
Registered
689 Posts
Of course it makes no sense to flood the market, but this isn't the case, its not like they should make another assembly plant, thats not even the case here. Whats stupid is to make the Caliber a world car and then try to add other lines to the same assembly line, when you can't make enough of the major model.

Logic would say, that having an assembly line that can make more than one product is a good thing, but logic also tells you, if you can't make enough of one vehicle, and you have a backlog of 100 and some odd thousand, you don't worry about other vehicles right now. Thats how you have to think in business, if you plan to survive. Those waiting customers are your major base of customers, you mess with them, it won't matter how many cars you can make later on, you lose sales and your major base of brand fanatics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ejfb said:
Logic would say, that having an assembly line that can make more than one product is a good thing, but logic also tells you, if you can't make enough of one vehicle, and you have a backlog of 100 and some odd thousand, you don't worry about other vehicles right now.
Dunno. I am pretty sure the brass and their people know what they are doing, afterall, they have to or else die. Then again, that Crossfire sure ain't sellin! :(

S

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well they must not know, Chrysler sales keep going down and down, with the Caliber being an exception right now, but even the Caliber sales it seems they are trying to piss off.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well Chrysler 300's, Chargers, and Magnums are sitting on lots because nobody wants a car with that damn HEMI engine in it with gas being 3.00+/gal. My dealer has had the same 2 HEMI Chargers sitting on the lot since March and even with the rebates he can't sell them. Heck, he'd practically give them away at this point just to get rid of them.

The Chargers that are popular are the SXT's with the 3.5L in them. They're no where to be found around here and dealers can't find any either.

But still...like I said before, it makes absolutely no sense in adding 2 other models into the lineup when they can't even keep up with their main model in the Caliber. The Compass or Patriot aren't going to sell nearly as well as the Caliber. I know I'm speculating there, but I don't see much of any interest in the Compass. I can see why, its pretty darn ugly compared to a Caliber!

They should of found somewhere else to build the Compass and Patriot, or just put them on hold for a while until they get somewhat caught up with Caliber orders and get the robots going like they should be.

Its not a case of flooding the market, its a case of people waiting far too long to get a car, and them getting further and further behind every week. They need to be doing something about this. The only way it will fix itself is if everyone gets pissed off and cancels their order, which isn't necessarily a good thing for Chrysler. Most people when they cancel, go elsewhere and buy some else other than a Chrysler product, such as a Mazda, Honda, Pontiac, etc...

·
Registered
246 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Well Chrysler 300's, Chargers, and Magnums are sitting on lots because nobody wants a car with that damn HEMI engine in it with gas being 3.00+/gal. My dealer has had the same 2 HEMI Chargers sitting on the lot since March and even with the rebates he can't sell them. Heck, he'd practically give them away at this point just to get rid of them.

The Chargers that are popular are the SXT's with the 3.5L in them. They're no where to be found around here and dealers can't find any either.
Charger sales are up 53% right now over July 2005, 300's are up 4% and Magnum's are still struggling. While I agree with you the 5.7's in any of these cars is down, and has been for quite a while, there is not that much difference in fuel consumption between the two engines. The 6.1L SRT's, well that's another story and it uses 91 octaine and no MDS in those babies either.

Medic

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ejfb said:
Well they must not know, Chrysler sales keep going down and down, with the Caliber being an exception right now, but even the Caliber sales it seems they are trying to piss off.
That is just not true at all. See the press release below. The 300s are up 4 %, Charger saw 53% increase last month over July 2005. Its very important to note that almost ALL manufacturers saw a drop in July. Its not just a DCX phenomenum.

Those sales figures do not show world wide sales (which for all we know, could be up overall, as Calis are allocated elsewhere), as well, it does not show units manufactured. These are just US sales figures, that's all.

The Chrysler 300 posted a solid month of sales with 10,637 units sold during July 2006, an increase of 4 percent over previous year sales of 10,596 units. Chrysler brand vehicles posted sales of 38,124 units, a decline of 35 percent compared to record July 2005 sales of 61,193 units.

Sales of Jeep® brand vehicles declined 34 percent to 35,831 units. Previous year sales totaled 56,280 units. The Jeep Compass posted brisk sales of 707 units despite a late July availability. Vehicles are still arriving at dealerships nationwide, and response to the vehicle from customers and dealers has been positive.

The Dodge Charger continues to be a strong market performer with sales of 8,074, an increase of 53 percent over July 2005 sales of 5,495 units. Sales of Dodge brand vehicles totaled 76,394 units, a decline of 35 percent compared to previous year sales of 122,673. Dodge Sprinter sales totaled 1,880 units, a 5 percent increase over July 2005 sales.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
orangecalibersxt said:
Well Chrysler 300's, Chargers, and Magnums are sitting on lots because nobody wants a car with that damn HEMI engine in it with gas being 3.00+/gal.
August 2005 "take rates" for the HEMI:

300- 42%
Charger- 67%
Magnum- 46%
Trucks- 14, 49, 52% (Ram 2500, Ram 1500, Durango, in order)

The Magnum, with MDS, gets 25 miles per US gal according to specs. The R/T, 26 (this according to specs on Dodge.com). A whole 1 MPG difference.

At 1 MPG diff, or, lets say 2 for argument sakes, his equates to about $141 more a year on average. (the R/T sticker I have says $1692/year for fuel, 26/24ths of that is $141 more).

Is the price of gas causing Hemi sales to decline and Caliber's to increase? For $141 more a year, it doesn't seem like a deal killer to me.

:confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well that still doesn't justify DXC incompetence, and in all reality, that is exactly what we are talking about, we aren't talking about just the American market, they planned for the Caliber to be a World Car, that means more than just saying, "hey, lets call it a World Car and sell it all over the world".

That means taking responsibility for planning and distribution, one assembly line, well fine, get the Caliber out, selling well, orders being taken care of in a timely manner, customers happy, then, and only then, try adding to the line and make a different vehicle as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love all the speculation here LOL. Everyone thinks they know why things are the way they are, when in fact all anyone can do is presume they might have a clue. Yes I am also one of the somewhat frustrated Caliber waiters, but I also understand that there are things that happen, and I'm absolutely sure that DCX has taken everything we talk about here into consideration when they make decisions. It's hardly incompetance, otherwise they would not be a viable business, period. Mistakes made? Absolutely. Changes in how they operate? Well isn't that why they built this factory in the first place, to change how they operate? This entire process is a test, and the problems they have now will be fixed in the future to make things alot easier and more efficient in the future. Do you think Henry Ford didn't have issues when he started his first assembly line?

Instead of sitting at your keyboards thinking you can run DaimlerChrysler better than those who do, I recommend you keep in mind that there are alot of people who have a say in all these decision making processes, and I am sure they are NOT going to do anything to jeapordize their own profits.

I feel the same way abot people who complain about the government. Decisions are made all the time about unknown situations, sometimes they work out perfectly, sometimes not. And it's easy for us to sit back and armchair quarterback other people's jobs, right? I'm sure you don't appreciate it when someone outside of our career thinks they can do your job better than you can.

OK I am done and I apologize for offending anyone if I have. And no, I am in no way affiliated with DCX, I am just someone who is patiently waiting along with alot of you for my car to be built, and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts