Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual for our Caliber calls for 5W20 oil.
Im a firm believer in Synthetic oil, but I had a quick look at the store yesterday, and only found Pennzoil making 5w20.
Just opening this up for conversation ??....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry everyone...I answered my own question.
A thought hit me...to check Castrol Syntec website :D :D:D
They do make grade 5w20. May be something I will have to order through an autoparts store.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mobil 1 has a 5-20 oil. It's the only synthetic I've found in that weight and what I use in all my cars. Understand the other synthetic makers are working on products in this weight as both DCX and Ford are recommmending it exclusively for their new cars.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've heard that for running new engines in, at first, you should use regular motor oil to permit for a good breakin period. Then, I think I heard at 6,000 miles, you switch to synthetic to protect it and help it run reliably for a long, LONG time. Anybody out there who can shed some light on this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
According to the news today, they did a report on saving money in auto maintenance, and among the things they said (ie: using low octane gas rather than premium, washing your car by hand instead of the car wash, etc.)... they also mentioned that most manufacturers recommend an oil change every 5k miles (not 3k like I was raised to believe). They said nothing about those special 5k mile oils (Mobil 1 for example) or standard vs. synthetic.

Are we all really wasting our money and changing our oils too soon or is 3,000 miles still the best way to go?

·
Registered
102 Posts
One thing a mechanic told me is that you can never change auto oil too much. If you think about it, engine oil is exposed to so many damaging factors, like the searing heat of the combustion chamber, and also the build up of corrosive by-products of combustion itself. Of course, we all don't have time or money to take our cars in every week! You just have to find that balance I guess.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Being a sport motorcyclist, I am firm believer of changing the oil every 3000, I change the bike's oil every 1500-2000 miles. It's amazing the difference when you change the oil on a bike (clutch is in the same oil). The clutch grabs so much better, and it runs much happier!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts