Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty book that came with the Caliber specifies a 3,000 mile oil change and a 6,000 mile service check (which includes an oil change). The warranty book has a place to document the work done "by an authorized Dodge service dealer". I missed the 3K Mile oil change, but have the 6K mile service scheduled for 16 Oct. I have two questions;

1.) Will missing the 3K mile oil change negatively affect my warranty?
2.) Is the dealer screwing me by charging 150€ ($200) for the 6K mile service?

I'm going to the Daimler-Chrysler dealer in Kaiserslautern for the service.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do yo mean you didn't change the oil at or about 3000 miles, or did you just not do it at a dealer? There are laws, that may vary state to state, regarding not having to have routine maintenace like oil changes done by the dealer to keep the warranty, but if there is an issue they can ask you to prove that all of their "recommended" maintenance was performed as outlined in the manual.

$200 sounds really expensive for what is basically an oil change and tire rotation. Something like that at even a Jiffy Lube around here is only like $50 at most.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It shouldn't cost $18.95 to get tires rotated either. They should be able to get them rotated while the oil is draining. I know plenty of mechanics that do this.

-don't mind me I'm still on a stealership rant. :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So you "missed" the 3000 mile oil change because you are on schedule A which you change the oil at 6000 miles. They shouldn't say anything about the oil change.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.38 said:
Do yo mean you didn't change the oil at or about 3000 miles, or did you just not do it at a dealer?
I didn't change the oil at 3K miles. Right now I'm sitting at 5K miles on the car, not quite up to the 6K required for the service check.

DISCLAIMER: The following is not inteded to present a negative view of our German friends on this board.
I am wondering if the dealer is taking advantage of me because I'm an American foreigner, or if they are actually going to do more than just change oil and rotate tires. Having traveled around the world an seen how foreigners are sometimes treated in other countries, I can't help but wonder if a German would get charged 150€ for the same work.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You best bet would be to ask them exactly what they are doing for that $200.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Michael K. said:
I didn't change the oil at 3K miles. Right now I'm sitting at 5K miles on the car, not quite up to the 6K required for the service check.

DISCLAIMER: The following is not inteded to present a negative view of our German friends on this board.
I am wondering if the dealer is taking advantage of me because I'm an American foreigner, or if they are actually going to do more than just change oil and rotate tires. Having traveled around the world an seen how foreigners are sometimes treated in other countries, I can't help but wonder if a German would get charged 150€ for the same work.
hey he is a dealer and the only reason why they have a service department is to make money ,soory but they taking you to they drain ,change the dealer if you can ,cheers Thomas

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Ask for a price break down (itemized sheet), I do that when/ before I have a large repair done, but whos to say you can't do it for something smaller?

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Instead of taking it in for a 6000 mile "service", Just follow the maintenence guideline in the back of the manual. Most oil changes include normal fluid level checks, etc. so just tell them exactly what you need. (in the case of 6k, oil change + tire rotation)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts