Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I got these for my 300 front doors but they are the wrong size!

Boston Acoustic's S series speakers let you enjoy clear, natural sound, even with a low-powered system. And with a wide variety of sizes, you'll find a set for most commonly-sized speaker openings.
The Boston S65 6-3/4" speaker features a 3/4" tweeter with a built-in cooling system for long term reliability and excellent power handling. A contoured tweeter plane guides high-frequency output to create a larger listening "sweet spot," while Boston's Acoustical Modification Device (AMD™) reduces harshness in the upper mids for clear, detailed sound.
The sturdy woofer cone teams up with a durable butyl rubber surround to produce tight, clean bass with minimal distortion. And you'll hear a smooth blend between the woofer and tweeter, thanks to the built-in crossover.
Note: Boston describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker.
Details:

» 2-way 6-3/4" speakers (pair)
» copolymer woofer cone with rubber surround
» 3/4" Type-S3 soft dome tweeter
» power range: 2-35 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
» frequency response: 58-20,000 Hz
» sensitivity: 92 dB
» top-mount depth: 2-1/2"
» warranty: 1 year

$100 Shipped
Crutchfield has them for $105 plus shipping so save yourself some money!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone need them?? Great upgrade over the stock system even if you have they boston acoustics system. These are 200 watts! Stock system only has 438 watts I believe. I would put them in my wifes but she said she didnt want them!

·
Registered
377 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
ummm..No it doesn't...

Caliber has 6 1/2" for the doors, which is why his 6 3/4" won't fit.
The Caliber has the following Speaker configuration.

MusicGate Model:
2.5" Full Range in Dash
6x9" Woofer in Front Doors
6x9" Full Range in Rear Doors
3.5" Full Range in Hatch
8" DVC Subwoofer

This is verified from the following post
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447&highlight=Boston+Acoustics

Even without MusicGate the doors are still going to be 6x9". There are no 6.5 or 6.75 inch speakers in the Caliber. You can get a bracket to mount a 6.5" in a 6x9" hole, but thats it. Even Crutchfield shows 6x9" speakers are the "Best Fit".

·
Registered
43 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
hmm thats odd.

Crutchfield has the Cali as having 6 1/2" in doors. They are usually right on with this stuff. Has anyone actually taken them out yet to verify?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vVFkxryW02f/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=400
If you read it carefully it says the best pick for the Cailber is 6x9's. Hit the "Please select speaker location" button, and this pops up:

Front Door 6x9 1 model Best Pick
6-1/2 6 models
5-1/4 14 models

Rear Door 6x9 7 models Best Pick
6-1/2 21 models
5-1/4 31 models

They will sell you 6 1/2's or 5 1/4's, and they will come with adapter plates to fit the 6x9 opening. The reason for different 6x9s fit different locations are probably due to depth restraints within the door.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i took one of my 6x9's out today to see how much room is behind... because i want to put polk momo 6x9's, (also just to see what kinda of speakers they were... and how much power they had.... for being stock... they arent that bad!) and there is a crazy amout of room behind them! also, i dont have the boston acoustics system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is a reply from Crutchfield when I emailed them to say they were listing the wrong size speakers:

"Thanks for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

I would be glad to help with your question about replacement speakers for your Caliber. The factory door speakers in your Caliber are definitely 6x9" speakers. However, the majority of our aftermarket 6x9" speakers aren't a direct fit, due to mounting height and magnet diameter restrictions. There is one pair of aftermarket 6x9" speakers that we carry which will be a direct fit in the front and rear doors. They are the Infinity Kappa 692.7i speakers, which you'll find here:"

I had the factory speakers replaced at a local Car Stereo shop, they put in Clarion SR6916 6x9's. Very good sounding speaker. I'm in the process of fabbing a mount to install a 10" sub in the factory location, with a 200 watt amp to drive it installed with the spare tire. As soon as I get it all done, I'll post some pictures. Just waiting for the amp to get here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
VZGuy said:
If you read it carefully it says the best pick for the Cailber is 6x9's. Hit the "Please select speaker location" button, and this pops up:

Front Door 6x9 1 model Best Pick
6-1/2 6 models
5-1/4 14 models

Rear Door 6x9 7 models Best Pick
6-1/2 21 models
5-1/4 31 models

They will sell you 6 1/2's or 5 1/4's, and they will come with adapter plates to fit the 6x9 opening. The reason for different 6x9s fit different locations are probably due to depth restraints within the door.
ahh ok thanks..yep, I'm retarded:cool: Sorry Amandyke

·
Registered
22 Posts
Old Dude--

Thanks for the info on the Clarion speakers. Would you be so kind as to tell me about how much they cost and how much installation costs? Also did you notice any decrease in loudness with the new speakers? What you did sounds exactly like what I'd like to do with my car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 4 speakers cost me $200.00 installed because I did not want to mess with the door panels. They sound great! Pretty good bass, and of course the mid's and hi's are much better. Volume was more too, but I don't have the stock radio in it.

I installed the head unit myself, a Panasonic CQ-C7301U with a XM satellite tuner. Cost me approx. $40.00 for the adapter plate to fill the hole from the old radio, and the wireing harness adaptor.

Can't wait for the amp to be delivered so I can install the sub woofer. I'll have 400 watts until I can figure out WHERE to install my 4-channel amp for the front speakers. It's fairly large, and I don't want to put it under one of the front seats, I'm going to check under the back seat and see if there's any room there. If not, I may just use the head unit. It's supposed to be 50 watts RMS per channel, and by using the built in high and low pass filters I should be able to adjust the crossover so the door speakers are only getting mid-low to high, and 50 watts would be more than enough then.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts