Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm if there is a sound quality difference between the 6 disc radio and base radio?
Wife found three cars and gave the info to our dealer so naturally he went for the 3rd choice, most expensive one and overlooked her note "but don't want the 6 disc radio".
She wants the base radio with the mp3 outlet.
Dealer is now telling her that the 6 disc is higher quality and can't swap it for the base radio.
She told him she has seen lots of models with the base radio and the 9 speaker system.
Is the 6 disc a better quality sound? Has anyone else got a dealer to change the radio for them?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I haven't heard anything about the radios themselves having sound differences. And I have done a lot of research. The only sound difference would be between the base speakers and the upgrade to the musicgate (which gives you more speakers and upgrades all the other speakers themselves).

I chose to get the base radio because I also wanted the mp3 jack. I hardly have 6 CDs as it is anymore because all my music is on my mp3 player and I will probably never buy, or burn, a CD again!

If your wife wants the mp3 player then make sure she sticks to her guns and gets it. She will regret it if she lets this salesman trick her into getting the upgrade. He doesn't sound like a very good salesman by ignoring her wants! And also by possibly lying to trick her into the upgrade!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Katie, She has the same "wants" as you. Marine Blue with musicgate, drivers convenience, heated seats...etc. She would like leather too, but they seem hard to come by, unless you get the RT.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i wanted the base model as well... i however, didn't wait for my ordered caliber and picked up a nicer one.. it came with the six cd changer... i don't mind it at all actually... i've been enjoying it in conjunction with my ipod which i interface with a monster cable radio transmitter...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a base radio with the aux input for your ipod that I pulled from mine after I installed the nav radio. $100 shipped. You should be able to get $200-$225 for your on ebay. And yes it will work with the 9 speaker system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
superbang said:
i wanted the base model as well... i however, didn't wait for my ordered caliber and picked up a nicer one.. it came with the six cd changer... i don't mind it at all actually... i've been enjoying it in conjunction with my ipod which i interface with a monster cable radio transmitter...
sorry...but i will...never...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...
ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...
ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...
ever...ever...ever...ever...

I REPEAT! NEVER EVER - use a radio transmitter again. My experience was horrid...and I bought a "highly recommened" model too...and only after 20 minutes of listening to it...switching settings...I said "fux this..." and returned it...running back into the store to get my refund. take it from me...get an aux...sound quality should NEVER be compromised...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The two radios will be basically the same.

And what you are getting in MusicGate is not just more and better speakers, but a 2-channel subwoofer amp and a DSP that adjust the sound for 8 of the channels for the Boston Acoustic speakers and where they are placed in the car.

That's part of the reason MusicGate sounds so good- the DSP is custom tweaked for the Boston Acoustic speakers and the actual Dodge Caliber they are in. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Also the base radio has a pretty minimal screen. Simple shaped LCD's whereas the upgrade Radio's have full on dot matrix screens so they can form any character that needs to be displayed. Sound quality would be the same out of both radio's, but the visual quality is better on the MP3 decks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Amandyke said:
Also the base radio has a pretty minimal screen. Simple shaped LCD's whereas the upgrade Radio's have full on dot matrix screens so they can form any character that needs to be displayed. Sound quality would be the same out of both radio's, but the visual quality is better on the MP3 decks.
honestly...anybody who generally goes for the base radio is going to want it for one reason - direct ipod connection thru the aux. the screen is an afterthought since 90% of all interface comes directly thru the ipod.

...and for audio lovers...eventually swapping out the "factory stereo" is a given. that is one reason i didnt opt for the musicgate system. as lesson has taught me...gimmicks...no matter how cool...that hard earned cash can be used towards something more sound (pun intended). for the cash you down on the mgs you can easily have installed something of higher quality. don't get me wrong...the mgs is a nifty product...but, for me...not worth the bucks when i can get better audio quality.

as far as the headunit...its a given...swapping it...factory just will never get the absolute clarity and minimal noise distortion...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Renegade said:
My dealer is insisting they can't swap the radios for her. I thought he should be able to.
Our dealer did, my wife was same thing as yours no 6 disc just basic radio so she could plug in her ipod. I am in Va 30 mins south of DC and they had to actually call another dealer in PA to get the one (color) she wanted only problem is it has a 6 disc player and at first they were like well you can always go with this one, it was pretty funny we both looked at the sales guy and said at the same time "IF YOU WANT TO SELL A CAR YOU BETTER PUT IN THE RADIO I (SHE) WANTS" We got the car the next day and the following week we brought it back up to them so they could put in the radio, the on dash navigation, the car larm and remote start (we actually got them to throw in the alarm and remote start I was on a roll that day!). Just tell them that, and if they still wont do it tell them you dont want a radio installed at all and to make sure they take the $1000 off the price of the car. That should get them moving in the right direction. Also if they still dont budge DO NOT be affraid to get up and walk out of the building, if they actually want to make a sale they will then accomodate you. The only options my wife didnt get were leather and a sunroof oh and heated seats.

·
Registered
746 Posts
but the sunroof friggin rocks!!!! and i love my heated seats!!

here's a pic that my buddy took hanging out of the sunroof while we were doing about 80km/h

i put the pic in the post originally but man that thing was huge! so just click on the link above.

·
Registered
384 Posts
RiCEADDiCTBOY said:
i didnt opt for the musicgate system. as lesson has taught me...gimmicks...no matter how cool...that hard earned cash can be used towards something more sound (pun intended). for the cash you down on the mgs you can easily have installed something of higher quality. don't get me wrong...the mgs is a nifty product...but, for me...not worth the bucks when i can get better audio quality.
I don't really see how the musicgate is a gimmick. When you get it, you get more speakers and all the other speakers are upgraded plus you get an amp and all that other stuff. The whole system is awesome and the sound quality is amazing.

Also, I would rather have something that came with with the car, then add something on later. Especially since it usually looks awkward (I'm speaking of those boxes that sit in the trunk) and out of place. Plus, it gets in the way!

I think in this case, considering the musicgate is so great, I would rather stick with the "factory" sound system.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i have the musicgate system and i wasn't going to get it originally and boy am i glad i have it now. at volume level 10 everything shakes in my car and i'm pissing people off all around me and i friggin love it.

haven't had the chance to go camping with the speakers down yet, but just wait till may two four...

however, i will admit that my bug had better sound coming out of it's six speaker system... i think it's largely due to the shape of the car though... acoustically a dome is probably better than a box. if i were to rate the two of them it'd be like bug 9.8 and 50 CAL 9.799999 so it's pretty close :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
superbang said:
if i were to rate the two of them it'd be like bug 9.8 and 50 CAL 9.799999 so it's pretty close :)

Since its 999999 you could actually round up! It would be the same!

Yeah I like it we never used it with the gate open but man it sounds pretty good!

·
Registered
60 Posts
katiescaliber said:
I don't really see how the musicgate is a gimmick. When you get it, you get more speakers and all the other speakers are upgraded plus you get an amp and all that other stuff. The whole system is awesome and the sound quality is amazing.

Also, I would rather have something that came with with the car, then add something on later. Especially since it usually looks awkward (I'm speaking of those boxes that sit in the trunk) and out of place. Plus, it gets in the way!

I think in this case, considering the musicgate is so great, I would rather stick with the "factory" sound system.
1.) have a better installed headunit...that allows precise settings. not to mention - aesthetically appealing than the cold face of the factory unit.

2.) you would be amazed how some speakers that are (upgraded) just can't handle those lows or highs without some form of sound distortion. also...(and with experience) whenever i have ever upgraded the audio equipment...infinity/fosgate...ugh...the material just wears out in comparassion to buying from memphis/alpine/polk audio (which i favor) and you can get great deals on pricing (including headunits).

4.) truth be told...most people would in fact be content with average. average is good. thats why average is the status quo norm. but, again this is an opinionated quip because i love music...and demand perfection in my audio when i listen to music. i just get irritated whenever any form of sound distortion comes from any speakers....

just fyi...i have had other caliber owners even affirm these feelings towards the system and felt money could have been used to personally select audio equipment...

(btw...not all systems NEED subs...i go for clarity...not absurd bass that drowns out the music...maybe if i had cadalliac dropped, painted joker purple, spinners, then yea...but, no...sorry)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yo,
To each thier own! I like the fact of having a better than average stereo ie) Upgraded B.A. Liftgate system for the Caliber (the bottom end entry stereo is the average one), and NEVER have to worry about some "Punk Ass" Breaking into the car to steal the "Flashy" aftermarket unit and accessories simply because they are too cheap to get a real job and purchase items honestly like the Average people and make an insurance headache for all! Wow, that ended up being a long winded sentance. But seriously.....the system (upgraded) sounds far better than "average" and c'mon....who is gonna steal it :) . If you tend to live in your car ....hell....spend your money away i guess on "toys" that sound Really Good, you will always be in it and not worry about break in's! I personally like "Good" sound when i am driving and my MUCH better than average music on my home stereo. After all, music does sound better with better speakers etc.....that is why there is stereo upgrades for cars. I like the peace of mind that i never have to worry about break ins on "My" Cali!
P.S....This in NO Means is in any disrespect to the last reply message....This is just my own personal opinion expressed as was his!
Cheers!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I thought long and hard about which stereo to have in our Caliber. What finally pushed me over to the 6 disc was the fact that the display could tell me which song, artist and station was selected on the Sattelite Radio and the MP3 discs.

I know I cannot have as many songs on the 6 discs that my iPod holds, but I figure that is a very small price to pay.

I do have the FM modulator for the iPod that works well with the stereo in my truck, I have not used it in the Caliber yet. There has been no need.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think you have much to worry about, this was something new introducted last year. It seems to be a natural fit for the Caliber when you examine the target market and pre-built holder designed into the vehicle.

Page 1

Page 2

Install Diagram

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
Q. When can I connect or disconnect the iPod from the vehicle?
A. It can be connected or disconnected at any time. It is recommended that
the driver not disconnect (or connect) an iPod unit while the vehicle is in
motion.

Q. I turn off my vehicle and my iPod indicates it is still being charged.
A. The interface module will charge the iPod for 10 seconds after the vehicle or accessory mode has been turned off.

Q. Can the iPod Integration Kit be used with other audio devices?
A. Yes, using the auxiliary port, you can connect any audio device that outputs a stereo line level signal. However, you will not be able to operate these devices through the factory radio controls.

Q. Which iPod devices are compatible?
A. Any iPod device equipped with a docking interface and the latest iPod firmware is compatible. This includes iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Photo, iPod Nano and iPod Video. The iPod Shuffle will use the auxiliary input connector.

Q. My iPod battery is completely discharged. Does it need to be charged to connect it to the interface?
A. No. However, if the iPod is completely discharged, there may be a delay in accessing the iPod (which could be several minutes). Also, the iPod mode may need to be reselected from the radio once the iPod turns on.

Q. If I turn off my vehicle while my iPod is playing, do I have to turn my
iPod off separately?
A. No. All iPods tested (3G, 4G, Mini, Photo, 40G, Nano and iPod Video) shut down within three (3) minutes of removal of ignition voltage from the radio.

Q. Does my iPod charge when I listen to the radio or CD?
A. Yes, the iPod charges whenever the iPod is connected to the interface cable and the key is turned to the "ignition," "accessory" or "on" mode.

Q. How long does dealership installation take?
A. Dealer install times will vary by model, but installation takes approximately one hour.

Q. On my premium radio, information on the display or some characters on the display do not appear, or appear then disappear, or are blank.
A. At times, due to variables in the software of audio hardware, you may experience an interruption in the display of song title, artist, etc. This is not an indication of problems with either the radio, iPod or the iPod Integration Kit interface module. It is simply a normal response to the interaction of two software programs originating from different programming sources. No fix is currently available.

Q. How is the Mopar iPod Installation Kit different from those offered by other domestic vehicle manufacturers.
A. Mopar is the first, and currently the only, domestic manufacturer to offer an iPod Installation Kit to its customers.

Q. When I first plug in my iPod, or when I first start my vehicle, I can’t immediately start browsing my iPod playlists, artists, albums or genre. Why?
A. After first connecting your iPod, or when first starting your vehicle, you must allow enough time for all lists to be sorted and stored before invoking any browse mode functions. This could take 30 seconds or more, depending on file size and number of tracks stored on the iPod.

Q. How is the Mopar iPod Installation Kit different from aftermarket kits?
A. The Mopar iPod Installation Kit is specifically engineered to interface with Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicle electronics. The design provides increased functionality over aftermarket kits, such as iPod function manipulation via the radio controls and multifunction steering wheel controls, as well as the ability to view iPod data (song title, artist, etc.) on the radio faceplate. Because the vehicle electronics system does not recognize the iPod unit as a CD changer, you can still use both the CD changer and the iPod unit without sacrificing one for the other (as is the case with most aftermarket kits). Also,
unlike aftermarket kits, the Mopar iPod Installation Kit is covered under the new car vehicle warranty.

Now don't go running off to your dealership just yet. I don't believe these are available for the Caliber but I do not expect this option to be far off.

Dan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts