Dodge Caliber Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm confident in saying my Caliber warm weather spark knock IS FIXED. Had the recall done even before I got the notice in the mail. It has been extremely hot the past few days... today it got to 105... no knock at all! yay!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Somebody earlier in the thread asked about the RT's and I didn't see an answer. I just got a notice of the recall yesteray. RT build mid march.

·
Registered
203 Posts
draed said:
Somebody earlier in the thread asked about the RT's and I didn't see an answer. I just got a notice of the recall yesteray. RT build mid march.
Yep, got my notice yesterday (7/17) and my build date is March also..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Today I brought my car in for it's 3000 mile oil change (had around 3300 on it, but none the less...). Scheduled my oil change about a week in advance. Ironically, THIS MORNING i got a letter about the recall. They flashed my Caliber to set it right.

I never really noticed any spark pinging before. However, after the flash, I -HAVE- noticed a change in how the car handles.

The acceleration is certainly more smooth. It seems that I have to press a little further down on the accelerator for it to get going, but I actually like it. Before the flash, when accelerating from a dead stop, I would have to be very gentle on the gas in order to accelerate smoothly; if I got a lttile to careless, the car would jerk forward, and then pick up.

I really like this small, albeit segnificant change in my acceleration. Anyone else notice this? I did not really 'test out' the throttle too much today, as it has been raining here all day, and did not want to take chances skidding :-/

-- Devsforev

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in the before and after performance wise. I've had the chance to accelerate at different paces so I don't think I've missed anything ;)

Aaron

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
Yay, I don't feel left out anymore, I got a letter from Daimler saying that they liked my car so much they want to look at it again!
LOL!

The service manage of the local Dodge dealer here is attempting to contact me, so perhaps he want's to looks at my Caliber too.:p

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got mine flashed today. Mine also seemed alittle peppier as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi everybody,

I've been a member for about a week or so now and have been enjoying the site a lot. Loads of good, useful info.

I, too, have the pinging engine and noisy exhaust/muffler. My car was built in April so it fits in the scope of the TSB for the pinging (pre-detonating) engine.

I've sent DC here in The Netherlands an e-mail asking if they are going to be honouring claims under warranty for these issues, coz when i put my VIN number in on the US site i get zip and the European sites don't have the same functions as you do over there.

I've read conflicting posts about the TSB being for the ping.

Is it, or isn't it. If it isn't i've just sent an e-mail that could result in me being covered in DC doo-doo.

Is there an official document that states that the pinging engine IS an issue ?

Dave.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Recall should be for ALL Calibers worldwide, since all Calibers are built in the US, I would think you should be able to get the computer update in Europe.

Engine problem is different from exhaust pinging on warm up, that seems to be solved by the new resonator assembly, which could have a TSB on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You'd think so....... but if i put my VIN in I get nothing. It was built at the beginning of April, well within the margins. I've seen other members that have already had a call-up through the post.

Maybe things just don't go the same way over here.

I read about a cop here in the Netherlands who fined a 3 year-old for taking a leak in a wood. $100 fine for a kid. This is the god's honest truth, I s**t you not.

Dave:( :mad: :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
What does the service department at your dealership say? They'll have to be informed somehow that TSBs and a recall exist. Maybe they can tell you what the notification process is for European Dodge customers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I definitely think it's important to post it here for people who are watching this subject with concern, as I am...

I had the flash done and the spark knock is still there, especially more noticeable when it's hot out (the air is less dense). According to the dealer, DC is aware that the flash didn't fix the problem in all cases and they have a software update on the way to address the issue.

I was told this 2 and a half months ago. I called again yesterday and still no sign of the new update.

I believe Chrysler was aware that this was going to be a problem well in advance of the Caliber's release. Take a look at page 232 of your owner's manual ..."Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful....However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required."

To me that is like saying a gunshot wound that doesn't hit a vital organ can be ignored without treatment, but if you get hit in the chest or something - go to a doctor right away. I'm willing to bet that most people who are not auto-savvy are unaware of what spark knock even is or what it sounds like. I have never seen an owners manual for anything that even mentioned spark knock, let alone it being "not harmful".

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
quadrajet said:
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I definitely think it's important to post it here for people who are watching this subject with concern, as I am...

I had the flash done and the spark knock is still there, especially more noticeable when it's hot out (the air is less dense). According to the dealer, DC is aware that the flash didn't fix the problem in all cases and they have a software update on the way to address the issue.

I was told this 2 and a half months ago. I called again yesterday and still no sign of the new update.

I believe Chrysler was aware that this was going to be a problem well in advance of the Caliber's release. Take a look at page 232 of your owner's manual ..."Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful....However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required."

To me that is like saying a gunshot wound that doesn't hit a vital organ can be ignored without treatment, but if you get hit in the chest or something - go to a doctor right away. I'm willing to bet that most people who are not auto-savvy are unaware of what spark knock even is or what it sounds like. I have never seen an owners manual for anything that even mentioned spark knock, let alone it being "not harmful".
Yeah, perhaps we're all going to have engine failure in the near future and then we do a class action for the rest of our lives attempting to recoup our losses. :mad: I'll never believe that engine-knock is good no matter how "light" it may be. As if a "light" tap on the head with a hammer is "normal"!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
(An email done in the style of those sent to the Jim Rome show....)

Dear Rome,

I'm sure Caliber owners have nothing to worry about. There is no way Chrysler would mass produce an engine design prone to catastrophic mechanical failure.

Signed,
People who own cars with the 2.7 litre V6

;)

61 - 80 of 82 Posts