Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: Yeah, you heard me. I picked up the Caliber and got it home to discover a piece of trim hanging off. On both sides of the car there is a long piece of black plastic at the bottom underneath the doors. On my passenger side the push pins at both ends had been put in, but none in the middle so it was just hanging down.

If you look at the picture that's attached you can kind of see it hanging.

It must have happened at the factory, and somehow got missed in the post assembly inspection. And then got missed at the dealership when they prepped it. And then got missed by me when I checked it out before I took it home.

Anyway, the dealership took good care of me. Hopefully the rest of the car received a little more attention. :rolleyes:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
The good news is... I've seen this with other models. The guy that lives below me has a Cadilac CTS. I came home one day and the entire bottom panel near the rear passenger door had fallen off on the RHS. I haven't asked him about that yet but I see it is repared ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
904 miles on my csrt4, had to take it to the dealer for the strut blocks then 200 miles later the engine light came on. the dealler still has my car as they try to figure out the problem. They said the engine code reads a loss of cylinder #3. they gave me FREE rental charger but i miss my caliber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Wont miss this junk when mine is gone. See my post in another thread about my 9 problems.

New one last night: Rear windshield wiper died. What a surprise. These are so well built (READ THAT LAST ONE WITH SARCASAM!!!)

Another thing for you Caliber lovers: Check out the resale value!!! LOWEST IN THE CLASS!!!!!! BY FAR!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
grimmey71 said:
904 miles on my csrt4, had to take it to the dealer for the strut blocks then 200 miles later the engine light came on. the dealler still has my car as they try to figure out the problem. They said the engine code reads a loss of cylinder #3. they gave me FREE rental charger but i miss my caliber.
Moderator should move your posts to the SRT thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
gcm223 said:
Wont miss this junk when mine is gone. See my post in another thread about my 9 problems.

New one last night: Rear windshield wiper died. What a surprise. These are so well built (READ THAT LAST ONE WITH SARCASAM!!!)

Another thing for you Caliber lovers: Check out the resale value!!! LOWEST IN THE CLASS!!!!!! BY FAR!!!!!
Some people care less about resale values when buying a vehicle. There are far more things to a vehicle than just resale values. Just because your Caliber is having issues, doesn't mean everyone is. In the other thread, there were far more without any issues at all than ones with issues. I'm sorry you're having these issues, but the Caliber is a great vehicle and I don't think you'd find too many people that would argue that point with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
[quote='08 Caliber R/T]Some people care less about resale values when buying a vehicle. There are far more things to a vehicle than just resale values. Just because your Caliber is having issues, doesn't mean everyone is. In the other thread, there were far more without any issues at all than ones with issues. I'm sorry you're having these issues, but the Caliber is a great vehicle and I don't think you'd find too many people that would argue that point with me.[/quote]
Agreed. I plan on dieselizing mine with the 2.0L TDI (if I can import the engine without any problems, supposed to be pretty easy) Mine has had NO problems, resale value means nothing to me, but it IS a shock considering that my other vehicle (a Wrangler) holds its resale so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
Agreed. I plan on dieselizing mine with the 2.0L TDI (if I can import the engine without any problems, supposed to be pretty easy) Mine has had NO problems, resale value means nothing to me, but it IS a shock considering that my other vehicle (a Wrangler) holds its resale so good.
jeeps have one of the best resale, u can almost make money on them if u buy them used on a good deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Resale is a 50/50 with me, when you buy the CHEAPEST DODGE made then your resale is going to be CRAP! Think about it BEFORE YOU BUY!. Have almost 11k on mine with NO PROBLEMS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
got my car back, it was just an injector. Dodge even sent out an engineer to look over the car, and of course drive for ten miles plus the mechanics ten miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
dcjredline said:
Resale is a 50/50 with me, when you buy the CHEAPEST DODGE made then your resale is going to be CRAP! Think about it BEFORE YOU BUY! Have almost 11k on mine with NO PROBLEMS!
I was at the convention center last weekend and they had an '08 SXT in the foyer on display. Looking at the sticker, it seemed to have the same options as mine. The sticker price was like $20,500. I would hope I could get one for 25% off of that! 20 grand for the Caliber to me is insane. For $600 more I could get a new Honda Accord, talking sticker price. What gives? Maybe they inflate the price so when they knock 5 grand off you think you're getting a great deal. The way it is built, and compared to others out there I think $15K is the most I would want to pay if even that much. They are selling at auction 1 year old for around $9000 here in Nebraska.

That's kind of like when you see a women's shirt that is marked down from $80 to $40. It cost the sweat shop $1.71 to make but hey, it's 50% off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
The 2008 SXT and R/T come with more standard equipment than the 2007 models. For $20,000 you can buy a lot of vehicles. Some better, some worse than a Caliber. This isn't the 1980's where cars cost $15,000 for the mid or top of the line model. Unfortunately, as time goes on, prices go up. I paid $21,500.00 for my R/T FWD. You can actually get a fully loaded R/T AWD for around $24,000. I myself would never buy a crappy Honda Accord. Its only good because the magazines say so. If the Caliber was a Honda Caliber, it would automatically be the greatest car in its class with no changes at all. Besides...you cannot compare a Caliber to an Accord, even if its in the same price range. They're 2 totally different vehicles for 2 totally different markets.

2008 SXT Standard Additions:

-Speed Control
-17" Aluminum Wheels
-Tonneau Cover
-YES Essentials Seating
-SIRIUS Satellite Radio
-Tire Pressure Monitoring System (No readout, just the monitoring system)
-Felt Cargo Area


So the 2008 starting price most likely went up a little to reflect these changes. While it may be more expensive to start, its actually cheaper because you don't have to pay $400 to get the drivers convenience group just to get speed control anymore, or $400 to get 17" Aluminum Wheels, or $300 for the security group to get the tonneau cover. The price change isn't more than the options you used to have to pay for to get the now standard items, so you're actually getting a better deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
[quote='08 Caliber R/T]The 2008 SXT and R/T come with more standard equipment than the 2007 models. For $20,000 you can buy a lot of vehicles. Some better, some worse than a Caliber. This isn't the 1980's where cars cost $15,000 for the mid or top of the line model. Unfortunately, as time goes on, prices go up. I paid $21,500.00 for my R/T FWD. You can actually get a fully loaded R/T AWD for around $24,000. I myself would never buy a crappy Honda Accord. Its only good because the magazines say so. If the Caliber was a Honda Caliber, it would automatically be the greatest car in its class with no changes at all. Besides...you cannot compare a Caliber to an Accord, even if its in the same price range. They're 2 totally different vehicles for 2 totally different markets.

[/quote]
I've owned 3 Accords, the last of which being a 2001. When did they suddenly become crappy? Other than having a bland appearance, I can't think of a single thing that is worse about an Accord than a Caliber. As far as appliance cars, which I would classify the Caliber SXT (but not the SRT-4, or R/T) the Accord is the benchmark. Has been since the early '80s. Is there something I don't know that has happened recently to the Accord, or do you just not like them for personal reasons, which I completely respect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
[quote='08 Caliber R/T]The Accord is the benchmark that the Caliber needs to stand up to?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!


I think I just pissed my pants in laughter! :D[/quote]

That's like saying "Jessica Alba is the benchmark that Rosie O'Donnel needs to stand up to."

As if that's going to happen. I'm just saying the Accord is so much more car, better built, better ride, better resale, better etc, etc. with more features and will last twice as long as the Caliber that for the money, there's no contest. If I had been able to get a new (heck even 3 year old) Accord for what I paid for my Caliber I would have jumped on it. Who wouldn't? Remember, I have an SXT. It's one of the slowest cars in America at 10.5 seconds to 60 and I average 24 MPG. I'm not laughing at those numbers. It gets me to work and back, I like the way it looks, and the price was right. It's different, but it's not what I would consider a great vehicle. If I had more money to spend I wouldn't go to a Dodge dealership, but that's just me. Maybe if this car remains faithful I will learn to love it. It doesn't feel very durable to me. I keep looking for the Black and Decker sticker.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Well glad that you are getting the attention you deserve.:D

Greg said:
:eek: Yeah, you heard me. I picked up the Caliber and got it home to discover a piece of trim hanging off. On both sides of the car there is a long piece of black plastic at the bottom underneath the doors. On my passenger side the push pins at both ends had been put in, but none in the middle so it was just hanging down.

If you look at the picture that's attached you can kind of see it hanging.

It must have happened at the factory, and somehow got missed in the post assembly inspection. And then got missed at the dealership when they prepped it. And then got missed by me when I checked it out before I took it home.

Anyway, the dealership took good care of me. Hopefully the rest of the car received a little more attention. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,005 Posts
You don't compare the Accord to the Caliber, you compare it to the Sebring or Avenger.

The Civic is the comparable vehicle to the Caliber.

If you want to mismatch then lets compare the Accord to the 300 or Charger. It works both ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
leesrt said:
You don't compare the Accord to the Caliber, you compare it to the Sebring or Avenger.

The Civic is the comparable vehicle to the Caliber.

If you want to mismatch then lets compare the Accord to the 300 or Charger. It works both ways.
The 300 and Charger are full size. I think we would compare the Accord to the Avenger.

But that is my point- the sticker price of the Caliber "economy" car is comparable to the sticker price of the Accord, which is a mid-size, mid-income car. Something doesn't seem right. :confused: Who pays $20k for an economy car that does 0-60 in 10.5 seconds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,005 Posts
I don't know what accord your looking at but they aren't priced near the Caliber, at all.

MSRP on the Accord $18,625 - $33,090

MSRP on Caliber $14,000 - $22,435

How is that even close. The civic is comparable to the Caliber

MSRP on Civic $14,810 - $29,500

Something doesn't seem right. :confused: Who pays $20k for an economy car that does 0-60 in 10.5 seconds?
Answer: Someone who doesn't know what the actual prices are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
That is the whole problem with us in north america, we should start supporting our north american products/factories and not depend on other countries for their exported crap, I still don't know how honda, toyota have been able to brainwash people into thinking their product is superior, I know of several people with hondas who are always repairing them but still think they are the besk POS in the world/just plain brainwashing!!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top