Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use the recommended 87 octane gas or higher? I have always used 89 in my other vehicles, and I was curious what effect it would have, good or bad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I always use 87 in the caliber, because thats what it says to use.

I use 93 in my neon since I have some engine work and it seems to run better on 93.

·
Registered
277 Posts
funny, I was just going to start a forum like this. Venom35, what do you mean by better? Faster? Smoother? Better MPG?

·
Registered
683 Posts
O'Reily said:
Do you guys use the recommended 87 octane gas or higher? I have always used 89 in my other vehicles, and I was curious what effect it would have, good or bad.
Why have you used 89 in your other vehicles? Usually doing so equates to wasted money. Some engines with high compression or highly advanced timing may require higher octane but most typical engines don't gain a thing.

Some people buy 'premium' gas thinking it's better, either meaning cleaner for the engine or perhaps higher mpg. It's not better. It's just higher octane. If the engine doesn't need it then its a waste of money.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I use 87 octane. Anything else just costs more money without any effective gain. The cost : gain ratio is too lopsided to make it worth my money on higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
87 octane here. I don't think you will see a big differecnce in performance with more octane. Now if you are suppose to use high octane and don't you probably will see a difference. In my Super-charged GTP I was suppose to use high octane. When I did not use it, the performance went down quite a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
funny, I was just going to start a forum like this. Venom35, what do you mean by better? Faster? Smoother? Better MPG?
runs smoother I guess and there seems to be alot of people that have problems with the engine knocking. A higher octane gas might cure the knocking problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been running 87 in mine with no problems. I do have the knock, but I really haven't tried running a tank of high-test yet. Highest tank was 89, and didn't notice anything different. Thinking of putting a tank of 91 in it just for sh!ts and giggles.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i use 89 or better in everything i own... seems to run better/smoother that way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Huff said:
Some people buy 'premium' gas thinking it's better, either meaning cleaner for the engine
I've always gotten a bit of a chuckle out of many of the stations around here with pumps that have some crap about "clean", "cleaner", "cleanest", "You could eat out of your tank/engine if you could get in there" on them. Shell and PetroCanada come to mind. They've even got little graphs with 1, 2, or 3 "clean" icons. :_

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just use 87 and have never noticed knocking or decreased performance. I might try 89 and see what happens. I remember reading a thread a while ago on dodge talk that said the knocking was due to problems with the spark plugs. But i think that was just a one time thing, havent seen any other people having this problem with their plugs though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts