Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning an upgrade to my sounds in the Caliber (R/T with no musicgate) but I want to keep everything stock with no external subs.

Is it possible to install 8"s where the rear 6x9 are now with minor mods? I know I would lose the mid and highs in the rear but normally do not have anyone riding there anyway. I was thinking of 8's in the rear with a component set in the front running with a strong 4 channel amp.

Any thoughts on if this is possible? I know there are couple of 8's that would meet the depth requirement I am just not sure about the total fit. would like to use existing grills or get ones that are very close in color and design.

Thoughts welcome and appreciated

JA

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, I know you can get shallow mount subs (some less than the depth of many 6X9's) but thats not the problem. Those speakers add sound everywhere in the car not just to the rear seats. The audio will sound different everywere on the car. Try this. sit in the driver seat and put some music on turn your head just a little to the left and you can hear how much that left 6X9 puts out. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only problem I see with it is that you will not have that nice enclosure for the deep consistant bass response. I wouldn't mind seeing it done out of curiosity though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
black-sxt-sport said:
The audio will sound different everywere on the car. Try this. sit in the driver seat and put some music on turn your head just a little to the left and you can hear how much that left 6X9 puts out. just my 2 cents.
If you ever go to a stereo competition, for sound quality, the point of a stereo system, is to generate an actualy concert.

Meaning = Sub sound should come from the front of the car, this is easy to do as sub sound is Omni directional.

Speakers are in the front, and NOT in the back, and they have to have the right hight so that the sound is at the ears, and not at the feet. I never use the rear speakers, i don't sit back there ;), i always fade my system forward.

So, personaly, i plan on doing what the OP is asking.

IM looking at putting some 6.5"'s in the front, and im going to be looking for some subs that work in open air.

For this OP, look for Image Dynamics Subs, they would be an older model, such as the IDQ's 8" subs. or even the 6" subs. there are some made for open locations. other companies make some also, the names leave me now thoe ;(

·
Registered
574 Posts
:confused: Last I checked REAR FILL was still a part of competitions. If its not it SHOULD BE!

Not saying dont do it jalenray cause you should do what YOU like.

All my friends dont like the sound of the MB Quart highs and I LOVE EM. Too bad for them if they dont want to ride with me anymore.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A friend of mine with the car I had previously, installed two 6.5" subwoofers in place the factory 5x7s in the rear doors. It replaced the 15" sub he had in the trunk. He went with a pair of Tang Band subwoofers which have a 11.5mm one-way Xmax (Or throw). A pair, together displace more air than most "high-end"/namebrand 12s.

He built the adapter and spacer out of wood and he loves it. Not only did it lighten up the car (By removing the 45lbs 15" subwoofer), but it made it sound alot better.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

·
Registered
574 Posts
:confused: a 13mm stated Xmax What is "one way" Xmax?
Xmax is measured from full in to full out.

And secondly ANY pair of 6.5in subs are going to have a higher "displacement" than a single 12" sub. Unless I am missing something?

·
Registered
377 Posts
dcjredline said:
:confused: a 13mm stated Xmax What is "one way" Xmax?
Xmax is measured from full in to full out.

And secondly ANY pair of 6.5in subs are going to have a higher "displacement" than a single 12" sub. Unless I am missing something?
Xmax is the linear travel of the cone. Xmax is measured through forward movement and rearward movement. It is derived, now a days, from the Xmag and Xsus. Xmag is the excursion limit due to the magnetic limitations of the subwoofer's motor. The Xsus is the excursion limit due to the suspension limitations of the subwoofer. They measure both Xmag and Xsus, compile it mathmatically to get the Xmax in forward movement and reverse movement, then they average out those two numbers and that's where you get your Xmax figure. The TB W6 has an AVERAGE Xmax of 13mm. It's forward Xmax is 11.5mm. By logic, that means it would have to have a reverse movement of 15mm.

There is only a 2mm difference between ONE TB W6 6.5" subwoofer and an elemental Designs 13Kv.2 12" subwoofer, in terms of Xmax. The point I was trying to drive across is, more from less. Less weight, less space taken up, less noticable, but with all the glory of that 12" or pair of 12"s would get you in a ginormous box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts