Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting observations today. We were off work killing time at the dealer waiting for an oil change and....... well I drove a couple new Calibers. Friend of the dealer, they were DEAD today because of "Black Friday" So....

1. Drove a COMPLETELY loaded R/T AWD and found it to be sluggish compared to ours. Musicgate, sirius, nav. comp. and heated leather rocks though!!!! Priced at 23,990, not too bad I guess.

2. Drove 2 FWD R/T (1 base 1 loaded) and found them better but still a little less peppy than ours.

3. Drove an SE with a 5 speed - completely different, but I liked it!!! gotta stay in the power band though.

4. Drove an SXT 2.0 auto with almost everything and sluggish as well.

Conclusion: Our car is obviously still "breaking in". As much as I want to believe most cars are NOT going to perform "a lot" better after 15000 miles, the Caliber seems to be proving me wrong. We are holding steady at 26 mpg and have really been pushing the gas pretty hard! After getting back in ours, the power band feels much broader and it drops in RPM much quicker after getting to speed. VERY pleased with our purchase last March!

I also drove the new 07 Sebring with the 2.4 and the 2.7 (no 3.5 on the lot) REALLY nice cars, but still just your average 4 door sedan with Caliber cabin similarities. We also went on a drive in of the employees SRT8, thats another story.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm wondering if there is an adaptive feature to the transmission that would account for the difference in the way you perceived performance differences.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know the ECU has an adaptive feature and seeing as the CVT is all CPU controlled i don't see how it would be any different. If you get your car flashed, the car will have to adapt again so i'm told.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that the CVT is similar to the 604 trans and it has adaptives as well. I have not hooked it up to the DRB yet to look.

The motor and trans. both seem to have "freed" up a bit. We did not get 26 mpg until after the first few tank fills. I have posted in the MPG threads numerous times.

I am not new to cars (I have had many), and I am only giving my opinions. I have driven the Honda first gen CVTS and the early Subaru CVTS they all seemed to have no difference.

I do plan on taking the 1/4 mile plunge in March/April when the track opens just to see where it stands after probably the 25000 mark.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why I was gonna take the R/T. I know its slow but who cares? I will run my "old" race car and let my wife run the Caliber for fun.

I also have had the latest flash done to the computer a couple of months ago. It did NOT change the feeling of the trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts