Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......does anyone else have this problem? My R/T's a/c at the very best gives *cool* air. I've noticed since day 1. My 11 year old Mustang has never had the a/c recharged and it blows ice cold.

This will be on my dealer *fix* list.

·
Registered
89 Posts
3dee said:
.......does anyone else have this problem? My R/T's a/c at the very best gives *cool* air. I've noticed since day 1. My 11 year old Mustang has never had the a/c recharged and it blows ice cold.

This will be on my dealer *fix* list.
Try running the A/C while highway driving for awhile. If a car sits for a period of time or basic city driving is constant, the A/C will sometimes not be working at its best. If theres no noticeable change in temperature while highway driving, then yes, bring it in. The A/C unit may need to be recharged or it has a leak.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You really shouldn't compare the old style freon based air conditioning system with the new environmentally correct versions. It is like an apples and oranges comparison. The new refridgerants are not as good as the old systems. That is why on some new cars they use a more efficient windshield to make they AC more efficient (ever see the bronze windshields? - that is why they exist). Tinting the glass helps.

·
Registered
506 Posts
even with the new "environmentally friendly" refridgerants the A/C should still be cold... at all driving styles... the reason i quote environmentally friendly is cuz yea freon killed the Ozone... but the new shit kills everything else...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine takes awhile to get cool.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ditto but it does blow "ice cold" eventually (if was in a much colder climate like the bay area am sure it would blow ice cubes out the vents LOL!) the Caliber has plenty of glass and interior volume so takes a long time to cool down inside. I need tint badly, the kind that rejects radiant heat waves too. wicked summer over here so far.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually... It's not really all that cold. At least not in mine. I might bring it up next time I'm in the shop. That being next weekend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine isnt all that cold around town, like in traffic, but on the freeway... it gets ridiciously cold...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Brooksie1of1 said:
mine isnt all that cold around town, like in traffic, but on the freeway... it gets ridiciously cold...
It gets like that on the freeway because there's plenty of air passing over the condensor. Airflow is the key to soo many things in life. :mad:

·
Banned
76 Posts
You would think that the Caliber would be more efficient in cooling because most cars have about a 60-40 ratio of sheet metal to glass, the Caliber has a 70-30 ratio. Less greenhouse effect than most cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was just at the dealer last week and this was one of the things I had them look at. They said that the air went from blowing 92 degrees F down to 40 in a six mile drive. They said if it blows any colder than 40 the evaporator coil will freeze up, so they can't get it any better than it is. Their suggestion was to switch on the recirculate button when the air starts blowing cooler. This answer doesn't make me happy, but upon trying it out it seems to work better.

·
Registered
644 Posts
its 115 degrees where i am right now... still blows nice and cold, takes a minute but it catches up eventually. it actually cools faster when you set it to 3 as apose to all the way up so it doesnt work as hard. but it gets cold enough that i freeze myself out the car sometimes...

·
Registered
285 Posts
clockmaker said:
I was just at the dealer last week and this was one of the things I had them look at. They said that the air went from blowing 92 degrees F down to 40 in a six mile drive. They said if it blows any colder than 40 the evaporator coil will freeze up, so they can't get it any better than it is. Their suggestion was to switch on the recirculate button when the air starts blowing cooler. This answer doesn't make me happy, but upon trying it out it seems to work better.
Don't take 40 degrees as the cutoff. I have Diesels that are blowing 32-35 constantly. It's all based on the effeciency of the system. But 40 isn't too damn bad for a four-banger.:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a new R/T AWD and also noticed the A/C isn't too chilly. But when I set it to defrost instead of A/C, it gets colder, quicker! Try that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wonder if the Caliber suffers from the same problem my 2004 Durango did. The A/C was luke-warm around town but cold on the highway. There was a TSB to replace the fan shroud to force more air flow for the A/C. It worked.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
karenh56 said:
You really shouldn't compare the old style freon based air conditioning system with the new environmentally correct versions. It is like an apples and oranges comparison. The new refridgerants are not as good as the old systems. That is why on some new cars they use a more efficient windshield to make they AC more efficient (ever see the bronze windshields? - that is why they exist). Tinting the glass helps.
They are only environmentally correct because they needed something to BS everybody with. The real reason they changed to the crappy-new-stuff (not to mention that US citizens think anything & everything "new" must be better and more desirable) is because Dupont's patents ran out and they had to formulate a new product to hold the monopoly. Then they simply greased all their super-lobbyist, new laws were made and Dupont was back in business:mad: The new stuff is not any more environmentally friendly than the old stuff.

Oh... my AC seems to be running good... no problems.

·
Banned
76 Posts
GOT said:
They are only environmentally correct because they needed something to BS everybody with. The real reason they changed to the crappy-new-stuff (not to mention that US citizens think anything & everything "new" must be better and more desirable) is because Dupont's patents ran out and they had to formulate a new product to hold the monopoly. Then they simply greased all their super-lobbyist, new laws were made and Dupont was back in business:mad: The new stuff is not any more environmentally friendly than the old stuff.

Oh... my AC seems to be running good... no problems.

Every week I hear somebody say “this whole R-12 retrofit debacle is happening just because DuPont’s patent on Freon ran out.” Think about that. Assuming it to be true, then for all these years DuPont would have to have been the only company manufacturing and selling R-12 (not!). And then, anticipating that they were going to lose control of the product, they chose to sabotage R-12 by getting the EPA to ban its existence.

Continuing this doomsday scenario, losing their monopoly on the auto refrigerant, they "invented" R-134a and miraculously got it universally accepted by the world as R-12's replacement. And they did this all the while knowing that they would somehow be able continue to monopolize sales of R-134a as well??? Doubtful!

Obviously those concepts are false. Along with DuPont, Atofina Chemicals (formerly Elf Atochem), Ineos Fluor (formerly ICI Klea) and Honeywell (formerly Allied Chemical and Allied-Signal) were all major vendors of R-12, and are today major suppliers of R-134a. The "other three" did not pay royalties to DuPont for their sales of R-12, and will not for R-134a.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ewitz said:

Every week I hear somebody say “this whole R-12 retrofit debacle is happening just because DuPont’s patent on Freon ran out.” Think about that. Assuming it to be true, then for all these years DuPont would have to have been the only company manufacturing and selling R-12 (not!). And then, anticipating that they were going to lose control of the product, they chose to sabotage R-12 by getting the EPA to ban its existence.

Continuing this doomsday scenario, losing their monopoly on the auto refrigerant, they "invented" R-134a and miraculously got it universally accepted by the world as R-12's replacement. And they did this all the while knowing that they would somehow be able continue to monopolize sales of R-134a as well??? Doubtful!

Obviously those concepts are false. Along with DuPont, Atofina Chemicals (formerly Elf Atochem), Ineos Fluor (formerly ICI Klea) and Honeywell (formerly Allied Chemical and Allied-Signal) were all major vendors of R-12, and are today major suppliers of R-134a. The "other three" did not pay royalties to DuPont for their sales of R-12, and will not for R-134a.

Hmm, oh well. I still don't buy the "environmentally friendly" card they are playing and don't believe the old stuff is more harmful than the new stuff and think Dupont needs to clean up their act, be more responsible and become better stewards with their power, resources and influence. Will that happen? I doubt it. Can I do anything about it? Not much. But if I could I defiantly would and any little bit of power I have over them I'll use to my fullest extent to make things right. :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's the scoop troops....

If you are having problems with your AC and it's acting intermittently....it's a bit more than a leak.

I have the same problem, no leaks and a fully charged system.

Turns out it the JTAC computer that's all screwy. The dealer is bringing in my SXT on Tuesday and doing a computer value comparison with a brand new one.

I guess that it's gotten the guys at Dodge in the engineering department confused as to why it's not working as well as it should be.

The mech looked at the computer and hooked it up and did a full workup including diagonstics. It was lucky to get down to a 10 deg C difference at best. He was recommended to do a reboot of the system and now there is no AC at all.

Needless to say I'm pissed. Hopefully it'll be fixed next week....with temps going into the mid 30s, well you get the idea.

Regards

1 - 20 of 46 Posts