Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have been noticing a funny smell when I get in and start the car with the A/C on. It goes away within a few seconds, but still the smell. It was not there awile ago. Anyone else with this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been told to turn off the A/C about 2 minutes before you park it, and let the fan blow all the condensation out of the vents. That's what you're smelling. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
976 Posts
bg77 said:
I recently have been noticing a funny smell when I get in and start the car with the A/C on. It goes away within a few seconds, but still the smell. It was not there awile ago. Anyone else with this problem? Thanks
kdogg is correct about the a/c the evaporator is not completely dry
when you turn car off hence the smell.
This can also lead to problems with the evaporator in 4 or 5 years
as was experienced in the Caravans,DCX had to extended warranty
coverage on those first thing is the smell.
I know this first hand as I went thru the whole thing on my last
Caravan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am not sure about turning it off for 2 minutes before I shut the car off. I guess I will just have to live with it for now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just shut if off a few blocks before you get home. Alternately if you have the smell after you get back in, you can also get rid of the smell by applying some heat and turning the blower to Medium-High (It will get rid of the moisture).

This happens in any car, it's just leftover moisture.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The AC in my Isuzu Rodeo is the same, as well as most ACs I've had in cars. I thought it was just a thing you deal with with air conditioning. But those are good tips to avoid it. I leared a few years ago how nice having AC is in the winter for defogging the inside of your windshield and in fact the entire car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have never experienced that smell in any of my past rigs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
kdogg said:
I've been told to turn off the A/C about 2 minutes before you park it, and let the fan blow all the condensation out of the vents. That's what you're smelling. Hope that helps.
My friends Jetta said to do that.. not sure what the Caliber one says because I havn't read it yet.

I have never had any strange odor from mine and I have nevernot run the AC since I bought it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
common problem to almost all a/c systems, it's like mold/mildew from condensation. get a can of lysol and with the a/c running spray into the air intake at the cowl or wherever it is and let it circulate. most autostores have a similiar spray.

hmm, the caliber has a fresh air filter behind the glovebox? ifso remove that and spray from there then put back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! i havent been on this site since i bought my car! and i forgot about this place!

My a/c did the same thing but i couldnt take it anymore, they replaced my entire a/c system. i told them they can either replace the a/c or the car they have a choice lol so they did i got my way and no smell since then...

and actually the reason was because there was no cabin filter in my car... behind the glove box if you just squeeze the sides in and let the glove box drop down there is a little cover you can open up... i bet you didnt find a cabin filter in there!!! yea well they were cheap and didnt supply these. this filter is suppose to keep the moisture out of the evaporator and well it doesnt work if there isnt one in there. they put on in and the smell was still there soooo after they gave me a rental for 4 days they replaced my ENTIRE a/c system and put a cabin filter in it. no smell EVER since then

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
sxtcaliguy07 said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! i havent been on this site since i bought my car! and i forgot about this place!

My a/c did the same thing but i couldnt take it anymore, they replaced my entire a/c system. i told them they can either replace the a/c or the car they have a choice lol so they did i got my way and no smell since then...

and actually the reason was because there was no cabin filter in my car... behind the glove box if you just squeeze the sides in and let the glove box drop down there is a little cover you can open up... i bet you didnt find a cabin filter in there!!! yea well they were cheap and didnt supply these. this filter is suppose to keep the moisture out of the evaporator and well it doesnt work if there isnt one in there. they put on in and the smell was still there soooo after they gave me a rental for 4 days they replaced my ENTIRE a/c system and put a cabin filter in it. no smell EVER since then
The filter is only installed if you added the optional "security group" which included the tonneau, and cabin air filter. Just picked up a filter for my car today from local dealer. $23 after taxes. It's a carbon inpregnated filter that filters alergens and smells from the outside air. Not sure how much it will help with moisture from the A/C though. Part number is 05058381AA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh my can this get really bad that the condensation leaks into the carpet?I have been having that problem with my ac smelling bad I noticed it after about 2 weeks of purchasing the car,and now it is unbearable and my carpet on the back floor both sides is wet.

·
Registered
976 Posts
cannonball said:
Oh my can this get really bad that the condensation leaks into the carpet?I have been having that problem with my ac smelling bad I noticed it after about 2 weeks of purchasing the car,and now it is unbearable and my carpet on the back floor both sides is wet.
This AC smell is a problem generally radiating from the evaporator
located behind the dash,it is not drying out properly and develops
mold with unplesant odor.
DCX has procedure to help eliminate the smell but it will keep
reoccurring if not properly done,I went thru it before first hand.
You can buy a deordorizing spray put the air on and spray thru
air inlets and it helps,but get the dealer to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts