Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my Caliber, and I have to get back to the dealer on a few extra items they were trying to sell me. I'm not really sure weather or not they're worth the extra money, so I figured someone here would. I did a quick search, but I may have screwed that up some how .. The brain seems to not work at the moment, I think the dealer hit me with an idiot stick :D

The first thing is "security etching". The dealer had it nicely tucked away with administration fees. They etch something or other onto the windows, and if the car is stolen and isn't recovered, they give you $5000 towards the purchase of a new car.

The second is the "MasterShield" package. It is $900, and includes a few things like "fog applied" rust proofing, a thick wax under coating, and a paint guard. The full colour brochure makes the whole thing look pretty good. (maybe it was an idiot log I was hit with? :D)

Third, what is the difference between a "secured" and "unsecured" loan? They want more money a month for insurance on the payment :/

The Gold Plus warranty sounds pretty good though, I think I'll take that for sure.

As always, info and opinions are much appriciated!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I wouldn't be a fan of the "MasterShield" Package. The Caliber has I think a 100,000 mile rust warranty on it anyways. I wouldn't care so much about the undercoating. Its just more weight to lug around. Security Etching will probably save you a few dollars on your insurance, but other than that, IMO its basically useless.

Sounds like you got shafted in way. You should always read EXACTLY what the contract says BEFORE you sign ANYTHING and if you have any questions like, what's this administration fee, then ask it. If its something you don't want, tell them you don't want all that crap and if they get mad, or really try to push you on it, just tell them very nicely you don't want it and/or get up and walk away. They're loss!

The warranty is a crapshoot. You can buy it and never have any problems, or have problems thats not covered under the warranty, or have problems that is covered under the warranty. Or you can not buy it and have problems after the 36,000 mile warranty and then it comes out of your pocket. So it could be money well spent, or money wasted if you never have problems, or have problems that aren't covered under the warranty. Guess thats really up to you.

Just and FYI: You probably won't get your Caliber until sometime at least around September. So be prepared to play the waiting game. If the dealer you ordered it from doesn't have an allocation for June to a Caliber, then you gotta wait until August to see if they get one then, if not August, then September, etc... You order will not go into D or D1 status until the dealer gets an allocation. So figure September at minimum.

Congrats on the order! Keep an eye out for Calibers in the area at the different dealers. You might just find a Marine Blue Caliber R/T in the area that you like before yours gets into D status. Once the order hits D status, it can't be canceled by you or the dealer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orangecalibersxt said:
I wouldn't be a fan of the "MasterShield" Package. The Caliber has I think a 100,000 mile rust warranty on it anyways. I wouldn't care so much about the undercoating. Its just more weight to lug around. Security Etching will probably save you a few dollars on your insurance, but other than that, IMO its basically useless.
That's what I was thinking about with the etching, plus if the person were to smash all the windows out, how are they going to find the etching? The MasterShield thing I'm thinking about skipping. It just doesn't seem worth that much money when places like Krown charge much less and seem to do a good job.

Sounds like you got shafted in way. You should always read EXACTLY what the contract says BEFORE you sign ANYTHING and if you have any questions like, what's this administration fee, then ask it.
I was told it was for paper work and such. When I said "so basically an extra commission to the dealer", he admitted to it. I'll take that one because, at work, I see enough "4.7% ADMINISTRATION FEE" at the bottom of every clients billing...The "advertising" fee I got removed though, thats stupid.

The warranty is a crapshoot. You can buy it and never have any problems, or have problems thats not covered under the warranty, or have problems that is covered under the warranty. Or you can not buy it and have problems after the 36,000 mile warranty and then it comes out of your pocket. So it could be money well spent, or money wasted if you never have problems, or have problems that aren't covered under the warranty. Guess thats really up to you.
I liked the gold plus one because of the free oil changes. It was around $1700. Currently I go to Mr. Lube and pay around $50 a visit. Over the course of 5 years, that seemed to off set the cost pretty good. Something like $700 extra in case of trouble. Of course, I may have some flawed logic here..

Just and FYI: You probably won't get your Caliber until sometime at least around September. So be prepared to play the waiting game.
Yeah, I'm expecting a long wait. They said 8 weeks. I said "close to the end of august", and the guy had a chuckle and said probably.

Congrats on the order! Keep an eye out for Calibers in the area at the different dealers. You might just find a Marine Blue Caliber R/T in the area that you like before yours gets into D status. Once the order hits D status, it can't be canceled by you or the dealer.
Thanks, I got to drive another one today, an SXT. The guy actually let me take it out on the highway, no other dealer would let me do that. I rather enjoyed driving the Caliber again, looking forward to one of my own!

I did noticed on the contract, item 9 says if the car isn't delivered to me in 90 days, I can cancel the order with the down payment returned. That should be interesting to see how much trouble one goes though to cancel.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How much are they charging you for the etching, really not worth it, but for under $50 it would be ok, will only save you on insurance, maybe. I'm sure they would have ways out of paying you the $5000 on a new car if it was magically stolen and never found. Most cars are found, even after stolen.

MasterShield is a rip at that price, you won't get much actual protection, and the key to that is the annual or bi-annual re-inspection and re-apply, which has a charge, in addition to what you initally pay. Basically, their MasterShield becomes void unless you do the re-apply inspection, which costs you again.

Secured Loan, means there is usually collateral involved, un-secured is kind of like a personal loan.

The Gold Plus warranty could or could not be good, sounds like a dealer only warranty or is it a Chrysler Warranty? Way those work is this, if its a dealer warranty, they are selling a warranty by a warranty company, and that company is responsible, your dealer, since he sells it, usually takes care of paperwork and does warranty work under it for you.

But, if you move or end up going to another dealer for service, then you could end up having to pay for service yourself and trying to collect from that warranty company.

Now if its a Chrysler Warranty, then any and all Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealers have to honor it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ejfb said:
How much are they charging you for the etching, really not worth it, but for under $50 it would be ok, will only save you on insurance, maybe. I'm sure they would have ways out of paying you the $5000 on a new car if it was magically stolen and never found. Most cars are found, even after stolen.
They want $200 for the etching. It seems pretty useless unless I can make that back in insurance savings. I'll talk to the broker that I got my insurance from about it tomorrow.

MasterShield is a rip at that price, you won't get much actual protection, and the key to that is the annual or bi-annual re-inspection and re-apply, which has a charge, in addition to what you initally pay. Basically, their MasterShield becomes void unless you do the re-apply inspection, which costs you again.
Krown seems like the way to go the more I read about it .. Rust treatments from Krown run around $100 per year.

The Gold Plus warranty could or could not be good, sounds like a dealer only warranty or is it a Chrysler Warranty? Way those work is this, if its a dealer warranty, they are selling a warranty by a warranty company, and that company is responsible, your dealer, since he sells it, usually takes care of paperwork and does warranty work under it for you.
The warranty is from Chrysler and is (as I'm told) good across North America at all dealers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I got another question.

Is Bi-Weekly payments better than Monthly? Bi-Weekly seems like it's less per month, why is that? :/

·
Registered
414 Posts
We had no choice but have the etching, Utah makes all dealers do this. IT cost us 250$. The reasoning behind this is that windows are expensive to replace and the chop shops will not want to replace all of the windows.

I think it was just another 250$ for 25$ worth of time and effort.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well basically its taking the monthly payment and splitting it in half, roughly, minus some interest. So if it was a $300/mo loan, it would be around $150 bi-weekly roughly. I believe you do pay the loan off a couple of months earlier as you're not paying as much interest since you're paying twice per month.

Thats really up to you. If you think you can come up with a loan payment 2 times per month, then its probably a better way to go as like I said, I believe you pay it off a little quicker.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Principal said:
The warranty is from Chrysler and is (as I'm told) good across North America at all dealers.
Still sounds like an aftermarket warranty, Chrysler's warranty is called Maximum Care, not Gold Plus, thats probably why they can throw in Free Oil Changes in there, just keep in mind that even though its claimed nationwide, many dealers, in fact probably most, will give you flack about trying to use it. You may still have to pay out of pocket and try to collect from Gold Plus, at a dealer, other than your dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Principal said:
Oh, I got another question.

Is Bi-Weekly payments better than Monthly? Bi-Weekly seems like it's less per month, why is that? :/
12 months in a year, 52 weeks, so bi-weekly would be 26 payments per year, monthly, twelve payments. Be sure to figure this into it. Another thought, if you get paid weekly or bi-weekly like I do, bi-weekly payments might be a better budget item for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the Gold Plus warranty for the Caravan and it's a Chrysler warranty and not a dealer one. 5 years free oil change, free loaner, etc. The brochure they provided that outlined the warranty was a Chrysler one. The same one they have online from Chrysler's website. Even got a little document sheet sent from Chrysler Canada outlining warranty start and end dates and how it works.

Well worth the $1600 Can I got charged for it. So far Chrysler is will be paying me for the warranty. :). The price of oil changes at the dealer has gone up so much that I think the last price I saw was $45.00. So over 5 years that is $900 worth of oil changes. Plus they cover tire rotations for the 5 years. Dealer charges $20 a pop. So just for the maintenance items over 5 years you will pay roughly $1000. But the prices are before the environment taxes, GST, disposal fees and so on plus the prices seem to be climbing a bit every year. So in reality you will probably spend close to $1200 over the 5 years. So for $400 I get an addition 2 years of bumper to bumper coverage. Had the Caravan in the shop for a couple of times that required a rental and so far those rentals have added up to be over $400 so the $1600 I originally spent on the Gold Plus plan has been offset.

·
Registered
103 Posts
BismrkBear said:
12 months in a year, 52 weeks, so bi-weekly would be 26 payments per year, monthly, twelve payments. Be sure to figure this into it. Another thought, if you get paid weekly or bi-weekly like I do, bi-weekly payments might be a better budget item for you.
You pay less interest making bi-weekly payments, which is why it seems like it's less than making monthly payments. It's because you bring down the principle slightly faster (since each payment, you're paying for half a month's worth of interest on the principle, plus a bit of the principle, and then the next payment, it's adjusted for that bit of the principle you paid down, etc). Bi-monthly mortgages work exactly the same way, and you can actually pay off a mortgage much faster just by converting to bi-montly payments, and paying the same amount "total" per month, since more of the principle is paid each month that way ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the into and such ;)

After some google work, the warranty looks like it is from Chrysler. They've also got their name plastered all over the brochure, and no mention of another company. It sounds like a pretty good deal with the free oil changes, tire rotation, and with my luck the car rental provision will be handy :)

After looking things over the next day, after the excitement of a new car purchase has worn off, it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. The actual cost of the car is over $700(CAD) under the MSRP, which seems good to me, and calling them back about all the addon crap was a pretty smart move IMHO. I can read more about these options that I've never heard of before and make a better decision .. Like skipping the insurance and mastershield. For the etching, I'm still waiting to see what the insurance broker says.

Thanks again, the wait is going to kill me.

*checks watch
*holds breath
*taps foot
*ahem*

:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the window etching was well worth it. If my car does get stolen it will be easier to find because the cant just scratch out the VIN on the windows. And most people wont even see it. It took me a while to find it, and I didn't know they did this.

The only reason I did the Enviro pack is because they stain guarded the interior, and I like that, so it is harder to stain up. I dont really care about the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Window etching is pure profit for the dealership. For $50 or so it maybe worth it but thats all I'd pay.

Paint/Rust protection is another huge profit maker for dealerships. The service may indeed help keep things looking nice but the $900 charge is excessive. My dealer called it 'Desert Protection Package" for $999. I told them to forget it when negotiating the deal. Once the deal was made I then talked to the finance guy where add-ons such as warranty are made. I had them add on the paint package for $200. Twice a year they detail the car inside and out and apply a non-wax coating. I had this done on one other car and it kept it looking great. Good deal for $200, lousy for $900.

A secured loan should only be necessary if you have lousy or no credit and are not putting much down. Otherwise I'd go elsewhere for financing.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Serantos said:
....The only reason I did the Enviro pack is because they stain guarded the interior, and I like that, so it is harder to stain up. I dont really care about the rest of the stuff.
when vehicles with the YES Essentials fabrics start rolling out, you won't even need to treat the seats on those.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huff said:
Paint/Rust protection is another huge profit maker for dealerships. The service may indeed help keep things looking nice but the $900 charge is excessive.
Yeah, I told my mother about the car today, and showed her all the stuff I got (printed materials), shes suckered in on the undercoating/rust proofing/paint guard. She thinks it's nuts NOT to get it, and even offered to pay for it! Last time I take her out to lunch to brag about a new car! I dread telling my grandparents now :)

A secured loan should only be necessary if you have lousy or no credit and are not putting much down. Otherwise I'd go elsewhere for financing.
They called me back today and I was approved for the credit (which is a little bit of a surprise to me, dang student loan!). I forgot to make sure that was WITH OUT the insurance added. The insurance is almost useless for me, especially the disability coverage. If I'm ever disabled to the point where I can't do my job (I'm an administrator), I'm sure I'll be too disabled to drive.

DodgeGirlKathy said:
when vehicles with the YES Essentials fabrics start rolling out, you won't even need to treat the seats on those.
I'm sure they'll still want to scotch guard it for you, at a low cost of $1000.

·
Registered
911 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Is the YES Essentials fabric standard now on all Calibers or is it just an option now?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I never had a problem at another dealer using the extended Mopar warranty. Also the etching I had on my past few cars and you will save on insurance in a few years. Watch if you get the clear coat protecting and get graphics on later, it might just void the warranty of the sealer. Don't know about the under coating but read your papers to see if that voids it also.
mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts