Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Lurking here for a couple of months... Ordered a Marine Blue SXT (5 spd, ESP, leather, alloys, security group) in mid October and still waiting for delivery. I have learned a lot reading this forum and it has probably helped my sanity during the long wait.

I have: Agonized over the Bright Grill/Sport Grill discussion, scratched my head over the 15" steelies and winter tires on an SXT (what about an SXT with ESP which includes 4 wheel discs?), and smiled at the real joy people seem to be getting from Caliber ownership.

I finally have a question though: What's up with the little mud flap thingies behind the front wheels I have seen in some pictures of the Caliber? Some seem to have them while others do not. I understand that real front mud flaps are not available for the Caliber and am wondering whether the abbreviated ones I have seen help at all.

Any info wouild be appreciated.

From Oil Country,

Ken

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
KenB said:
What's up with the little mud flap thingies behind the front wheels I have seen in some pictures of the Caliber? Some seem to have them while others do not. I understand that real front mud flaps are not available for the Caliber and am wondering whether the abbreviated ones I have seen help at all.
I'm sure they all have the small "thingies" on the front. They're better than nothing and do protect the fender somewhat from stone chips. Do you get rear disc brakes on the SXT with the ESP option? It wasn't a option back in April.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks xlimodriver, but how come I have seen so many pictures of Calibers without any thingies at all? Is it possibly a late addition or a Canada only item?

The ESP option includes ABS, Brake Assist, All Speed Traction Control, a stability system, and 4 wheel discs. I am kind of curious as to its effectiveness. It is supposed to selectively apply brakes to one or more wheels and reduce engine tourque in "critical driving situations".
I read that as when you are about to lose control :eek:

Apparently you can turn the system off as well. I like that cuz I hate it when my car thinks it's smarter than me.

I have not seen any threads here discussing ESP. Have you heard anything from anyone that actually has it?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I drove a brand new Mercedes S500 for 4 days last year when the limo company I worked for had an order from Daimler-Chrysler for their conference in Toronto. I tried everything to spin that car out on wet pavement but the stability control prevented it. Of course, I did this on an open parking area and not with the Mercedes big-wig in the back seat.:) Check this thread on the Caliber's ESP....http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608&highlight=electronic+stability+program#

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I first got my R/T I asked the dealer (parts dept) if they could get me those little flaps for the front wheel openings... he looked in his parts book and the are listed as original equipment on all models except the R/T... Since it looks like no one is going to come out with an aftermarket molded splash guard for the front, I may just go to a dealer and see if I can get the ones for the SE or SXT and put them on my R/T... something is better than nothing...

BTW, the only reason he (the parts guy) could come up with (and this was just a guess on his part) was the 18" wheels on the R/T and DCX might be concerned with wheel rub... since folks are putting larger that 18's on SXT with the little flap (I guess) this isn't a real problem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never driven a car with a system like ESP. In you experience on the Mercedes, could you tell when it was doing its thing? ( like when your ABS kicks in ) Or was it a seamless kind of thing where you just notice the results.

Thanks for the link to the ESP thread - I am going to post a request for first hand experiences with ESP on the Caliber. Unfortunately, I may not get much info because of the late availability.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
KenB said:
could you tell when it was doing its thing? .
You could feel the brake being applied to each wheel to straighten the car out. I'm not sure if the Caliber's system is as refined as the Mercedes, but it should work the same way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GypsyBill said:
When I first got my R/T I asked the dealer (parts dept) if they could get me those little flaps for the front wheel openings... he looked in his parts book and the are listed as original equipment on all models except the R/T... Since it looks like no one is going to come out with an aftermarket molded splash guard for the front, I may just go to a dealer and see if I can get the ones for the SE or SXT and put them on my R/T... something is better than nothing...

BTW, the only reason he (the parts guy) could come up with (and this was just a guess on his part) was the 18" wheels on the R/T and DCX might be concerned with wheel rub... since folks are putting larger that 18's on SXT with the little flap (I guess) this isn't a real problem...
Thanks Gypsy Bill! That must be it - The R/Ts don't get them because of the 18" wheels. The DCX guys might be a little conservative about how much tire clearance they want...

·
Registered
432 Posts

For those who may not know what KenB was referring to, here is a picture.

The reasoning provided by GypsyBill makes sense, however, the small flaps can be no more than 1/8" in thickness. Would the engineers really make the clearance that tight?

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oldguy said:

For those who may not know what KenB was referring to, here is a picture.

The reasoning provided by GypsyBill makes sense, however, the small flaps can be no more than 1/8" in thickness. Would the engineers really make the clearance that tight?
Looking at the tire/fender clearance on my R/T and the thickness of the guard, I can see no reason they won't fit...

·
Registered
17 Posts
My R/T has lower body cladding that appears to use the same holes as the mud flap to attach to the lower body. Since I owned an SXT first, I noticed the lower body cladding immediately. It's very subtle though, so you might not see it if you aren't looing for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What's all the talk of mudflaps...front or back...minis or not? I found an Ebay site that sold straight DODGE (name & all) mudflaps that work great on my Caliber...$20...including shipping...4 muds to a set....2 sets...even came in white...nice. Or is someone blocking you that you have to spend more?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
litesong said:
What's all the talk of mudflaps...front or back...minis or not? I found an Ebay site that sold straight DODGE (name & all) mudflaps that work great on my Caliber...$20...including shipping...4 muds to a set....2 sets...even came in white...nice. Or is someone blocking you that you have to spend more?
i would like to see a pick and a link to that seller on ebay please,thanks thomas

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi tupmeier...Get on Ebay.com & find the seller nanaa5. Presently they have some white mudflaps on a Buy It Now sale for $6 or $7. I may have sent some other Caliber owners Nanaa5's way already. Good luck. Grace & peace to you, Tupmeier...litesong

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's the white one, there's a black set just like it.

J

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like mine with nothing at all! Sometimes less is better!

I don't even let the dealer put their sticker on my car, but that's another thread... seriously! :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ha ha ha You people remind me of the hip, feel good, liberal arts fast talking, but know nothing executives who are in charge of designing products here in America. Engineers no longer design products...the MTV generation does. There is a vast withdrawal from standard low priced but good working products in this country...products that are sacrificed for styles of the moment that are priced 3, 4 or more times their worth. These mudflaps you won't have on your car...I've had more compliments on my mudflaps than my new Caliber. Stuff the MTV people...give me a good engineered product everytime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,
Festive Greetings from freezing Scotland.
My SXT CRD has the front wheel arch thingmies, 18" wheels, ESP, ABS, 4 Discs etc.
The ESP detects when you lose traction and cuts the power to that wheel (bearing in mind that we don't have the 4WD version) a light on the dash comes on when its activated. As far as i know its only available on the diesel version as its a VW/AUDI Engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts