Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago my 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT (90,000 miles) started sounding like a semi-truck. It was rough driving. My father-in-law said that it was most likely the air conditioner (he works on all of his cars) because whenever you turn on the air conditioner the engine would struggle and the noise would get louder. He also mentioned that my number 3 ignition coil was going bad.

I took it to a mechanic and got a diagnostic which said that the ignition coil was bad and that my alternator was going bad. My father-in-law replaced the alternator, the mechanic did the ignition coil.

Now my car doesn't sound like a semi-truck but the AC is still causing problems. It runs cold...extremely cold and the mechanic said it wasn't the compressor and that the shaking and rev up is normal. But this is an excessive amount of rev, to the point that when I'm idling at a red light with the air on, it sounds like I have it in park and I'm gunning it. The steering wheel shakes, the front seats vibrate so hard I feel like I'm riding a roller coaster. When you stand outside the car and have someone turn the AC on and off it is a drastic change in the sound of the idling car. It sounds like the engine is about two seconds from sputtering.

The mechanic said that it's normal...but I've had this car for 6 years and it's not normal. Any suggestions or ideas? It's getting to the point that it feels like it is effecting the braking. When I apply the break it struggles to slow the car down because the engine continues to rev up at the same time (as if I were pushing the gas instead and I'm not i swear lol).

It is perfectly operational without the AC on. It's completely operational with the air on without the cooling AC button pushed. It's also fine if heat is running.

TLDR: (sorry for the long post) AC causes engine to shake, rev up, and sound like the alternator is struggling. Compressor checks out ok. Runs cold.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What model of Caliber do you have?

I'm assuming someones checked the belt and pullies. My guess would be the AC clutch or motor mounts (particularly the front mount).

This vibration is common for those of us running solid motor mounts. My SRT4 caliber shakes like it's looking for it's next drug fix when idling with the AC on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does exactly what you mentioned only while the a.c. is on. i did replace the motor mounts like he said but still shakes. i just bought an electric throttle body for the a.c. and well see what that does. Its similar to an idle air control valve, because when idling the a.c. compressor or something is messing up the air flow. calibers are not good cars lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts