Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through 6 hours of posts, while searching the web for answers, I cane across this:

It is a hid system from Germany that uses the can-bus system. I believe that it comes with all the wiring harnesses and capacitors and whatever else needed to bypass the flickering/strobe/etc problems that people are having. This item seems to be legit, although the price is lower than other stores. I have found corroborating data on other sites about the quality and connectivity of the Philips system:
Xenon Experts

Brightheadlights.com

KOperformance

Please take a look at this stuff and let me know what you all think. I am going to order a set of these after I get some feedback and will then install and post a complete report on their performance.

The setup I intend to buy comes from eBay Motors (seller: hid_europe). Here is the link

Please let me know if I should try this or if I am making a mistake.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
i didnt look at your links but here is my definition of a true pnp hid kit for this car.

the kit must include 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs. the bulbs must fit the same as the factory ones and use the exact same attachment method. the factory harnesses must connect directly to the ballasts and ballasts directly to the hid bulbs. all power to the ballasts must be supplied by the same harness that supplies power to the factory bulbs. there must be no need for relay harnesses and or additional resistors to be either soldered to any part of the system or wired in tandem to them hid kit. the kit must perform normally connected in this fashion with no flickering, dimming, can bus shortages, stalling of the car, starter going ape ****, car shutting off etc.

essential you stick the bulbs in your lights, twist them to secure. mount the ballasts, plug them to the lights and plug the original harnesses to the ballasts and thats it. anything else is the same crap we already . if anything about this kit has you connecting extra harnesses, relays, resistors etc then it is not a real plug and play. you could use all those on a $50 ebay kit and have them work to. just mount, plug and turn on, thats it.

just my .02, and good luck. but be ready, since youve read up im sure you know your not the first to take on this migraine inducing endeavor. hopefully youll be the last though :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
let us know how it goes ... im dying for HID's for my car since im not going the performance route since my car gives me too many problems i just want it looking good.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I cant find a plug and play hid kit on Philips website. The box of the package looks good, but the ballasts look fake, and the bulb holders look fake too. Whats the price of these? Philips 6000k ultinon bulbs are almost $200 just for d2s bulbs. If the entire kit is cheaper then it should throw off a red flag. If you really want hids just buy a kit and hook it up to the turn signal. Thats how I have my retro set up and have had 0 problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Ebay seller is offering a setup made for/in Germany. I dont think it will show on the U.S. version of Philips website. I went to the German Site and I found out that, no matter how hard I believe, I cannot read German, so I gave up looking. But EBay guy does mention that the setups come with a anti-counterfeit code on the bottom of the box, and the link provided www.philips.com/burner is legit.

I was planning on testing a set of these for my fog lights, but HighBred8 says that i probably wont need any special hookup with the fogs because they are not on the CAN-BUS system. If that is true, and I test these out, then it wont tell me anything about their functionality with the heads. Or will it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Ebay seller is offering a setup made for/in Germany. I dont think it will show on the U.S. version of Philips website. I went to the German Site and I found out that, no matter how hard I believe, I cannot read German, so I gave up looking. But EBay guy does mention that the setups come with a anti-counterfeit code on the bottom of the box, and the link provided www.philips.com/burner is legit.

I was planning on testing a set of these for my fog lights, but HighBred8 says that i probably wont need any special hookup with the fogs because they are not on the CAN-BUS system. If that is true, and I test these out, then it wont tell me anything about their functionality with the heads. Or will it?
I know that fog light installs have included some problems, so even a documented fog light install would be very useful. I think it would be worth your efforts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since this runs on Can-Bus technology, do you think that I'll need to buy a resistor/capacitor/relay doohickey to make them work on the fogs?

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
your not supposed to need any of that on the fogs. they should just plug in and go. but mine were not. so i had to use a harness, and even now i still get some ghosts. my rear defroster will turn on too every one in a while when i turn the fogs on. and i had to reverse install the harness and make the passenger side the primary and eliminate the driver harness all together in order for them to work.

the majority of others just plug them up and go. the real problem iis with the can controlled headlights. find a kit that requires no harness or resistors for those and youll be a hero here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what these Philips are supposed to be, but unless this guy cuts me a sweet deal I am only going to try out the fogs, I dont really want to HID the heads at full cost only to have them sh_it the bed. I'd test the hell out of them if the price was right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anyone following this thread: Here's the latest update.

After talking with ebay guy, and thinking for a long time, I have decided to use the Philips system for my headlights (lows), and test a different HID system from V-Leds.com for the fog lights. This decision was based on the information that the Fog light HIDs should not have the same issues as the headlight HIDs, therefore, testing the plug and playability of the Philips Can-Bus technology on the fogs would be futile.

Since I already have the headlights installed, and don't want to take them out to find the bulb size, I am hoping that someone here knows what bulb size is used in these heads. I believe that it is H1, but I have also heard that the low beam is H7 and the high is H1. Does anyone know for sure, which bulb is which?

Another thing I just realized, how do the single ballasts work with the dual-bulb single-harness in the Caliber, especially with the aftermarket headlights?

S**T im just going to pull the heads out tomorrow, replace the stocks and get to the bottom of this mystery once and for all.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Heres my doubts. Can you see a reputable company making hid kits for cars that should not have hids in them? What if you blind someone with your illegal hid kit and they get in an accident. Now only are you at fault, but so could Philips for making that kit.

As I said earlier the parts do not look real. Maybe the seller has one legit code and stuck it on every single box to pass it off as real. Philips bulbs are pretty damn expensive. Regular d2s bulbs run about $90 just for 2 d2s bulbs. The ultinons are almost 2x as much. I have never heard of a Philips automotive ballast. They do make ballasts for street lights and such, but I have yet to see one for a car. Hella, Matsu****a are a couple well known brands.

Lastly I see no reason to buy a philips branded kit. You could get a cheap hid kit from just about anywhere with the same poor results of sticking hid in a reflector housing. Quality control for Philips is a lot better, but chances are you wont notice much of a difference between the two once they are turned on.

Spend the money on a retrofit. Have awesome looking headlights and similar output to a luxury vehicle. Or install an hid kit and burn the retinas of every other person on the road with "fake" looking headlights. Im not trying to be harsh, but I see too many people with hids in their headlights that look just plain stupid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:read::icon_eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These Philips HID kits are not made specifically for dodge calibers. They are made for German cars that also have the Canbus systems. Im going to test them out and we'll see whats up then. Im to messed up right now to do this, ill figure this out and replay later

·
Registered
142 Posts
Please do keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
i didnt look at your links but here is my definition of a true pnp hid kit for this car.

the kit must include 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs. the bulbs must fit the same as the factory ones and use the exact same attachment method. the factory harnesses must connect directly to the ballasts and ballasts directly to the hid bulbs. all power to the ballasts must be supplied by the same harness that supplies power to the factory bulbs. there must be no need for relay harnesses and or additional resistors to be either soldered to any part of the system or wired in tandem to them hid kit. the kit must perform normally connected in this fashion with no flickering, dimming, can bus shortages, stalling of the car, starter going ape ****, car shutting off etc.

essential you stick the bulbs in your lights, twist them to secure. mount the ballasts, plug them to the lights and plug the original harnesses to the ballasts and thats it. anything else is the same crap we already . if anything about this kit has you connecting extra harnesses, relays, resistors etc then it is not a real plug and play. you could use all those on a $50 ebay kit and have them work to. just mount, plug and turn on, thats it.

just my .02, and good luck. but be ready, since youve read up im sure you know your not the first to take on this migraine inducing endeavor. hopefully youll be the last though :beerchug:
Even a true pnp kit should include a Relay. You are asking for trouble if youre connecting different volt/amp values to the factory harness. The purpose of the Relay is that the HID kit will get its power directly from the battery, and not the headlight circuit. Witout a Relay, there is a risk of short and fire.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Heres my doubts. Can you see a reputable company making hid kits for cars that should not have hids in them? What if you blind someone with your illegal hid kit and they get in an accident. Now only are you at fault, but so could Philips for making that kit.

As I said earlier the parts do not look real. Maybe the seller has one legit code and stuck it on every single box to pass it off as real. Philips bulbs are pretty damn expensive. Regular d2s bulbs run about $90 just for 2 d2s bulbs. The ultinons are almost 2x as much. I have never heard of a Philips automotive ballast. They do make ballasts for street lights and such, but I have yet to see one for a car. Hella, Matsu****a are a couple well known brands.

Lastly I see no reason to buy a philips branded kit. You could get a cheap hid kit from just about anywhere with the same poor results of sticking hid in a reflector housing. Quality control for Philips is a lot better, but chances are you wont notice much of a difference between the two once they are turned on.

Spend the money on a retrofit. Have awesome looking headlights and similar output to a luxury vehicle. Or install an hid kit and burn the retinas of every other person on the road with "fake" looking headlights. Im not trying to be harsh, but I see too many people with hids in their headlights that look just plain stupid.
If Philipps markets them as Not for use on public roads, they are in the clear. Same could be said for Dodge selling us Stage kits that don't conform to emission control.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.