Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car, and the Caliber is on my short list.

I want a SXT with the 1.8L 5spd manual.

Couple of quick questions:

- Does the A/C run all the time, including when the heat is on? I think the chill zone still operates when the heat is on (meaning it's cold), and this doesn't help fuel mileage. Is there a way to shut off the A/C when the heat is on? More for the fuel mileage, typical A/C compressor robs 5 hp, over 8 years of planned ownership and lots of driving, that's lots of fuel ;)..

- What is the real world fuel mileage (regardless of broken in motor/not broken in) so far?? The Matrix still does better fuel mileage (by EPA standards) but Consumer reports says the Matrix does 9L/100km or so average/combined in real world testing (automatic was tested). I expect the Caliber to do worse, but really, I don't think 28/32 mpg is all that good.

Also, what kills me about Canadian dealerships.. they post the L/100km on the window sticker, AND they post MPG... but they use UK MPG, which is ridiculous.

I do expect the Caliber not to be as reliable as the Matrix, but it is much cheaper to buy. I hope cost of ownership is reasonable. I do like the side airbags though.

Also, I noticed that my pants would get dirty in the winter cuz the rocker panel is quite massive. I have to over-extend myself to get out (on the tester).

And parallel parking, whoa, can't see the front, nevermind the rear. The Matrix is easier to drive overall, but, the Caliber is the least expensive and NICE American car that I could afford, and I should get it!! hehe..

so any real MPG so far? So I can use it as a baseline? CVT results are ok, I'd like to compare it to what they've published.

Again, 28/32 isn't so hot for the manual, but, I can live with it I think.

FOLLOW UP: I just read another post with the same question... any manual owners out there yet??

I expect the first few fill ups to be kinda bad for MPG, but, as soon as I put on 160,000 km, I don't expect the mileage to improve either ;). I drive about 35-40K km/year.

thanks!

Cheers

Myron - Toronto, Canada

·
Registered
901 Posts
My mileage so far (CVT 2.0, about 1200 miles and 2 fill-ups): 25 mpg. Mostly freeway but we drive like lunatics around here, 70-80 mph is common, which obviously kills the numbers.

5-speeds? None have been delivered yet. Well, at least on this forum, we haven't yet had anyone say they got their 5-speed delivered.

You are Canadian? PS: If you decide to get a Caliber, before you buy one, find Steve Desjardins from Windsor on this forum (http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/member.php?u=264) and read his signature...! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
myronx19 said:
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car, and the Caliber is on my short list.

Consumer reports says the Matrix does 9L/100km or so average/combined in real world testing (automatic was tested). I expect the Caliber to do worse, but really, I don't think 28/32 mpg is all that good.

Also, what kills me about Canadian dealerships.. they post the L/100km on the window sticker, AND they post MPG... but they use UK MPG, which is ridiculous.

Again, 28/32 isn't so hot for the manual, but, I can live with it I think.

FOLLOW UP: I just read another post with the same question... any manual owners out there yet??

thanks!

Cheers

Myron - Toronto, Canada

Big snip........

My brother gets 32-33 Kanadian MPG (combined)(36-40 on the highway)in his 05 Matrix auto, the 1.8 Corolla mill is pretty hard to beat for mileage, mind you it is 130 hp, the window sticker on the Caliber RT reads 28 city and 34 highway (imperial MPG), the fellas (and girlz) from the states are claiming 23-28 us MPG , you can add 5 miles per IMP galoon when you hit Kanada, so the window stickers are pretty close in Kanada..........:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My local dealer supposedly had the manual base already in 5spd, but I haven't had a chance to drive it.

I don't know if any pre-ordered units have been delivered though.

(dealer in Newmarket Ontario).

·
Registered
340 Posts
We have been pretty consistent getting 25 mpg US in our R/T. It recently went up to 26 the previous tank, but i was not using the autostick that tank. We use the defroster a lot in Ohio, so the compressor has been running. We don't usually go more than 2-3 miles per hour over the speed limit on the highway.

I think the 23-26 they rated it for an AWD is great! Our 02 Town & Country got 20.2 Avg. We have always had vehicles in the 18-24 range. The Caliber R/T is a step up. In the eighties when I had the mitsu-chryslers they used to get high 20's and 30's without a problem. The past 15 years have been much bigger cars/vans/wagons.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2nd Tank 700 miles on R/T AWD 26.4 MPG, mixed driving - city hwy.

I is a happy boy, cool car, the room I need, fun to drive, and already good mpg.

I traded from an Escape, 17.7 mpg no matter how I drove it.

Flaps

·
Registered
103 Posts
2.0L here and I seem to be getting 28 so far, doing mostly highway driving (it's a 10 mile drive on farm roads to get anywhere from where I live). I was getting around 16 in my explorer (5.0L V8) .. which I thought was good, since a few people on the explorer forum were getting like.. 12!

I'm happy with 28, but I expect it will go up a tad once everything is broken in. I've only got about 500 miles on mine now (and I just bought it Monday night, with only 40 miles on it - I've been having fun!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My first full tank I got 26.6 miles per gallon. My second tank I got 28.8, but there was a lot more highway driving on that one. :)

By comparison, my Dodge Ram was getting 13 to 15 consistently, and it wasn't even the Hemi, but rather the 4.7 Litre :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
quadrajet said:
My first full tank I got 26.6 miles per gallon. My second tank I got 28.8, but there was a lot more highway driving on that one. :)

By comparison, my Dodge Ram was getting 13 to 15 consistently, and it wasn't even the Hemi, but rather the 4.7 Litre :eek:
Was that R/T or SXT/SE? Seems like SXT?!?!?

I think that the model should be noted too.:cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just returned from an out of state trip and I am happy to report that I got 28.5 mpg while driving between 75 and 80 mph. I did slightly less on the return trip (27 mpg) but I had quite a headwind and I kept it at 80 mph all the way back. Mine is an SE 2.0 with CVT and has about 1700 miles on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sad at my latest figures!:( For R/T 2.4.

I stayed away from the car for the latest tank of gas. It went 270 miles for 12.1 gallons. Thats 22 mpg average. Dismal to say the least!!!!

My wife made only her normal trips to work and home, mostly highway. She drives normally, no autostick and no pushing hard. Not impressed anymore. I hope that the next tank gets better. I will stay away again for this tank to verfiy.

I drive MUCH harder than she does and I use the autostick a lot. The last few tanks have been 25/26 avg. Driving 50/50 between her and I.

Please don't take this wrong! We still love the car and would not give it up for anything!!! We are die hard MOPAR fans!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Your wife must either suck at driving or hammer it..:D:D

Dismal my ass! We freaking celebrate when the Mega CAb gets 12..:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man...

hehe... it scares me to think I'd buy a SXT and only get 26mpg average..

Right now I drive a 2.8L V6 Volvo 760, 19 years old, with 300K kms on it!!! And guess what.. I do slightly better than what EPA suggests, a whopping 22mpg!!! (mostly highway).

So to trade from a V6 (sure it was only 145 hp when new, but it's geared quite well, does not to 60mph in about 9.5 seconds, feels fast :)... and get only a few more mpg.. hmm...

I DO LOVE THE STYLING THOUGH, looks great! I've yet to drive the manual version, which is what I prefer (costs less too!!)

However, when compared to the Matrix, the Caliber doesn't get nearly the same mileage :(.. I'll have to test drive them back to back.. can't wait!

Thanks for al the input.

Either way, I think Dodge has put out a great product. GM take note, DCX has done it again!!!!! 2 years ago, I swore I'd never buy another North American car, now.. it's all I think about! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
scarz me too, My 91 Maxima 3.0 litre V6, auto, combined gets 24 imp MPG(avg) thats about 19US mpg, its 163 hp still with fair get up and go, if I'm gonna spend close to 28K ca taxes in, I want something thats going to give me 30-40 mpg. My brothers matrix gets 33 avg mpg (imp) but to be fair the engine is only 130 hp @1.8L. BTW I test drove a Vibe and HHR sideXside yesterday. The HHR was a 2.2 both autos, engine noise and vibration was way higher in the Vibe, than the HHR.I think I just crossed the Vibe off my list.:rolleyes: Narrows it down between an RT & HHR..........:confused::p

·
Registered
83 Posts
pacerman said:
scarz me too, My 91 Maxima 3.0 litre V6, auto, combined gets 24 imp MPG(avg) thats about 19US mpg, its 163 hp still with fair get up and go, if I'm gonna spend close to 28K ca taxes in, I want something thats going to give me 30-40 mpg. My brothers matrix gets 33 avg mpg (imp) but to be fair the engine is only 130 hp @1.8L. BTW I test drove a Vibe and HHR sideXside yesterday. The HHR was a 2.2 both autos, engine noise and vibration was way higher in the Vibe, than the HHR.I think I just crossed the Vibe off my list.:rolleyes: Narrows it down between an RT & HHR..........:confused::p
The HHR was the runner up on my list too. I came within 30 minutes of buying one and changed my mind. The only thing I liked better about the HHR was the retro-styling at first, but eventually the Caliber grew on me more because side by side with my truck, the styling was VERY similar and once I test drove one, I was pretty much sold on it. The huge wheels also really set it off. Interior-wise, I give the edge to the Caliber, with the exception of the wierd gearshifter location.

It worked out pretty well for me in the end. I work for a GM supplier, so I would've gotten a suppliers discount on the chevy, but dodge dealers were willing to give me more in trade on my dodge truck so it was pretty much an even wash between the two.

I think you'd be happy with either car in the end. Remember, the Caliber gets slightly better mileage in the city, but the Ecotec engine is a proven design with a good history behind it. There are pros and cons to both.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I found the HHR interior to be horrible. I couldn't even reach the window controls without stretching. Buttons and what not were small... blyuck. Outdoor Styling (with chrome trim) was nice, and the cargo room in back was also great... but interior styling and mushy ride was the deal breaker for me...

Aaron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts