Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Well this weekend I did it, I added the much needed Subwoofer and Amp to my factory stereo. It worked out pretty well. Since I have some connections on getting deals on the needed parts via my employer, the parts cost was low and I got to experiment a little. I have so far tried two systems both worked ok but the cheaper 2nd system actually sounded better. In fact I know I can not promote it but we sell this complete system with kit and all for only 198.88 where I work, pretty amazing sounding overall.

System # 1 was a Fosgate 8" Punch Sub in matching box with Infinity Amp and amp kit by Lightning which by the way was not a complete kit and cost more than the 2nd kit. No woofer remote volume and amp was a little big for under the seat. Overall sounded ok, plenty of volume and added bass but a little thumpy sounding for me.

The lower priced system # 2 which is still in my Caliber and sounds amazing is a SoundStorm 10" Sub and matching box with a SoundStorm Amp and Amp Kit by Blitz. The box is only 13x13x14 so it does not take up much room and can be removed in under 30 seconds if need be. The amp fits really well under my drivers seat and it had a Remote Volume which hides very neatly right next to the drivers seat, easy to control. This setup is tighter sounding, same volume and good bass but not as boomy, just some nice added mega bass. The other cool thing is, the sub can be upgraded very easily anytime I want using the same amp and box, just a few screws and swap the sub itself. Under a 10 minute job.

I will take some pics when I have time looks pretty good in the car.

Then I decided with all this good sound I needed some new music so I added the Sirius Satellite Radio. everything is hidden pretty much except the antenna which looks like part of the car anyway. Mounted the main unit just in front of and below the shifter. With the remote control you do not need to access it unless you want to see the readout which is ok at night but not the best in the daytime. It connects to the factory stereo via the aux input on the front for a really good sounding system with tons of different kinds of music as well as weather, news and much more.

If anyone has any questions let me know, I tried to cover as much as possible without getting too much into the details. The only thing I did not get a deal on was the labor which ran 65.00 at the local Circuit City, not too bad. Amother place Audio Express offered to do it for $50.00 by could not do it this weekend.

Also let me know if anyone knows about offering these to other Caliber owners, shipped from where I work at a special price for members? Just a thought, it would help my boss and get members a great deal on a nice system. Not sure if we can do that on here or not?

Flaps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Pics, pics, pics!!!

I own a Suzuki Aerio SX with a $599 CAD head unit, 450 watt RMS digital mono subwoofer amp, a 2 x 100 watt RMS amp for the front speakers, front speakers are 6.5 inch type X Alpine at $599 CAD, and cheaper Alpine S speakers for the back, which are high up on the D pillar on the inside.

Add an acoustically sealed 10" Alpine sub, and I have some serious (not Sirius he he) music in my car. Lots of oomph along with very, very nice sound quality.

I am trying to decide on the MusicGate system or adding my own components as you have, when I buy my Caliber.

I have a year left on the lease of my Suzuki, but I want everything to be in place in my mind when I buy my Caliber. I've driven everything else, and this car makes the most sense for the money. In fact, since I have a year, I'll be able to watch this forum and see how the Caliber is holding up for repairs and reliability in the first year, and if it is anywhere close to he Matrix, which is the only other car I'd consider, then I'll be an SXT owner. The Caliber is really in first place, while the Matrix is in 5th place, with no cars between.

Anyway, pics! Pics! Pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your way ahead of me, I am happy with the factory head unit, and factory speakers with just the added sub and amp. But it did just what I wanted and for under $200.00 for the parts. Flaps

GregoriusM said:
Pics, pics, pics!!!

I own a Suzuki Aerio SX with a $599 CAD head unit, 450 watt RMS digital mono subwoofer amp, a 2 x 100 watt RMS amp for the front speakers, front speakers are 6.5 inch type X Alpine at $599 CAD, and cheaper Alpine S speakers for the back, which are high up on the D pillar on the inside.

Add an acoustically sealed 10" Alpine sub, and I have some serious (not Sirius he he) music in my car. Lots of oomph along with very, very nice sound quality.

I am trying to decide on the MusicGate system or adding my own components as you have, when I buy my Caliber.

I have a year left on the lease of my Suzuki, but I want everything to be in place in my mind when I buy my Caliber. I've driven everything else, and this car makes the most sense for the money. In fact, since I have a year, I'll be able to watch this forum and see how the Caliber is holding up for repairs and reliability in the first year, and if it is anywhere close to he Matrix, which is the only other car I'd consider, then I'll be an SXT owner. The Caliber is really in first place, while the Matrix is in 5th place, with no cars between.

Anyway, pics! Pics! Pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Pics!!! :D

Cannot wait to see it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Good job, I'd like to see the pics too!

I kept my subs and amp when I sold my car, will probably try them with stock stereo...

How hard was it to remove the center console?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaveXC said:
Good job, I'd like to see the pics too!

I kept my subs and amp when I sold my car, will probably try them with stock stereo...

How hard was it to remove the center console?

Circuit City did the hookups and the installer made the comment that this was just a hard to do as a Magnum?

I gotta tell you a good amp and Good sub connected to the stock set-up sounds amazing, due to where I work I can keep swithching Subs, I have now tried a Visonic, Ok anc chaep, two different Rockfords a 8" and 10", the 10" sounds amazing the 8" was ok. Then we had the big switch to the Sound Storm 10" and matching amp. Best sound so far, really amazing bass. Also tried a Pyle in a Pyle Box 10", The pyle sounded pretty darn good for a under $65.00 sub box pkg. Last we tried a 8" Legasy Sub in Q Logik Box, not too bad either but more money than the pyle which sounded almost the same.

Fun Fun Fun for me and my Caliber.

Flaps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a pic of the Visonic in the rear, fit real nice. This sub was 98.00 with amp and wiring kit. But not volume control.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
So the installation went smooth and everything went in ok?. Where did they route the wiring through? I only ask because I just bought a Kicker SB10L5 sub and a kicker SX650.1 amp wich is rated at 745w(rms). Installation is on tuesday and I'm a little nervous handing my new baby over to someone else so they can pop her apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
How does this get wired to a factory head unit? That's exactly what I want to do with mine. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Dodge Aries K said:
How does this get wired to a factory head unit? That's exactly what I want to do with mine. :)

Line Output Converter... it attaches to your speaker wires and converts them from a Hi-level signal to a Low-Level (RCA) signal. then run RCA's to the amp. Power, ground, remote and you're done (after hooking the sub to the amp of course)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Re: Added a Subwoofer *** Amp to Caliber + Sirius

i would highly recommend getting an aftermarket deck if u plan to run subs. The sound quality is just not there running off a factory deck. Id rather have true rcas, then some splice job...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top