Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Personally, I think the Cali (especially the black) SCREAMS for this appearance mod.....

What ya need:
- 2 rolls of 20 feet of 3/8" rounded wheel molding (Canadian Tire in Canada, Pep Boys in the USA) or equivalent (you will end up with a 4 ft strip from 1 roll, hence the second roll is required)
- SHARP garden sheer or cable cutters, by-pass cutters work best (the ones where the blades pass each other vs meeting each other
- rubbing alcohol
- rag
- pen/marker/piece of masking tape
- clear nail polish

How to:

First, clean the area around and inside the wheel well area to prevent dirt contaminating the glued side of the molding. Clean it with a wet rag, careful not to scratch anything. Then, clean the paint surface with rubbing alcohol to remove wax, oils, ... Clean as far under the front and rear fenders as you can so that the molding can stick right as far as it can.

Pull back a few inches of the backing on the molding to expose the sticky mounting area- I started on a front fender, and started sticking the molding as far down as I could. The stuff is pretty forgiving, so if you make a mistake, quickly pull it up, then reposition. You can do that 2-3 times. Once started at the bottom, pull back 3 feet of the backing, and while using 1 finger inside the fender as a guide, us the other hand and molding, and apply to the lip of the fender. Its very easy. The molding will bend slightly (on a warn day) to form perfectly around the semi-circle opening. As you get about 6 inches to the end, leave the backing on, and roughly measure to where you want to stop mounting. Cut a few inches longer, this will make handling the edging easier. Measure to the end again, and trim the molding about 1 inch longer than needed. Pull off all but 2-3 inches of the backing, continue to mold as above, and when you get to the end, keep "dry fitting" and cutting to get the molding to stop where it needs to stop. Once satisfied with the length, remove the backing, and final mount.

Touch each cut end with a dab of clear nail polish.

For the rears, they will require a CUT at the door opening, a little tougher but not too bad.

Start again by cleaning everything, with rubbing alcohol as well. Start at the rear most, and under the rear fender and mount the edging to about 2 inches from the door opening edge. Dry fit the edging at the door, and use a marker, or strip of masking tape, to match the door opening angle onto the edging so your cut will match that line. Cut, peel, mount.

Using the same cut edge and the remaining edging on the roll (using a sharp cutting tool will pay off here- the end and start edges will match perfectly and makes a big diff when you are done) start at the door, next to where you just cut, and continue to mount the edging until you get to the far edge of the door.

Seal the 4 ends with clear nail polish.

Repeat on the other side. I did not have enough on 1 roll to do the 4th wheel well, so I needed to start package 2 on the 4th well.

Before and after pics:

Rears:

Side view:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Looks good! Very complementary to the existing chrome trim.

·
Registered
976 Posts
While I agree it does enhance the look of the wheels/body,you and I know
where our Ontario road salt is going start the rust going first.
Unless your going to garage it for the winter!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Can you get that in black? I'm going with a black trim theme vs. chrome trim.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
no offense, but i hate every vehicle with the extra chrome crap around every doorline & wheel-well.. why put the shiniest surface in a spot where the most dirt/rocks or whatever is almost guaranteed to hit it.. [not to mention, imo] it looks ugly

sorry.. its just not my thing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
bigtsr said:
While I agree it does enhance the look of the wheels/body,you and I know
where our Ontario road salt is going start the rust going first.
Unless your going to garage it for the winter!
This stuff does not rust- its chrome faces with rubber backing, and if it does get damaged, you simply replace the piece! (it will peel off). I have had this on my PT for 6 years now without major damage, and certainly, no rust.

I also dislike the "tacky" overmodded vehicles, regardless of the make/model so I made sure the edging which I added was subtle! The edging that I added matches the existing trim that is OEM on the vehicle very nicely. Door edging, an extra belt line, some on the bottom, is too much, IMHO, but to each their own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i can't decide if i like that or not... it looks good, but also kind of like too much... i think it takes away from the sleek/clean look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also do not like it. Plastic Chrome? I think it looks cheap in my opinion. I have to agree that the car you show as an example is a tacky overmodded vehicle.
In you signature you say it is your wife's caliber. She doesn't mind you doing that to her car?

Question for you. That photo in your signature, where was that taken? Where is Brampton? Is it in Detroit?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The chrome edging is the same stuff used for the grill like in this thread.

Here's one for example:

(right where dirt/rocks will hit it, yet "gives the caliber more of a classy look". ;) )

The Brampton plant is where the Charger, Magnum, 300, and soon, Challenger, are asssembled.

Black trim- dunno, there is an on-line place you can try: http://www.cowlesproducts.com/styleguard_pg03.htm

later

·
Registered
644 Posts
chrome fender trim just reminds me entirely to much of mini trucking in the 80's... but to each his own, its not what we like its what you like.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
X-Caliber said:
I also do not like it. Plastic Chrome? I think it looks cheap in my opinion. I have to agree that the car you show as an example is a tacky overmodded vehicle.
In you signature you say it is your wife's caliber. She doesn't mind you doing that to her car?

Question for you. That photo in your signature, where was that taken? Where is Brampton? Is it in Detroit?
Brampton plant is in Ontario canada about 20km away from toronto,soory no dedroit:D ,cheers thomas

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think it look allright. But, it is not for me:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
I knew I saw this car before, but I couldn't remember where! If I remembered, I'd have gone over and said "hi" today at the airport :) (that was you at the airport, right?)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Principal said:
I knew I saw this car before, but I couldn't remember where! If I remembered, I'd have gone over and said "hi" today at the airport :) (that was you at the airport, right?)
YUP!! Nice to ALMOST meet you!! ;) We saw yah over there. :D (we left after the CF18 flew by the 3rd time!)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm sure we'll run into each other again .. It's a small world :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

^ this looks gay to me... i mean, SOME chrome is ok, depending on the application, but chrome on the wheel-wells looks stupid.. comparitively, yours looks good, but as i said before, its not my thing.. your car, do what you like :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
^^ ya, that right there is aweful

·
Registered
361 Posts
That 300 just doesn't look right. The chrome stopping ~2/3 of the way around the wheel looks odd. I like it alot better looking on Seans Caliber where it goes around the entire well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts