Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran into this on caliberforum(z).com and was wondering if we looked into this at all?

caliberforum(z).com/showthread.php?t=24348

Seems like its making progress and is ready for install.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know Ford owners who don't use their pillar keypad. I wouldn't waste the money, only if your loose your keys a lot.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Ford owners who don't use their pillar keypad. I wouldn't waste the money, only if your loose your keys a lot.
True, however, I go to places were I dont want to bring my keys (beach, biking, etc) and figured it would be easy to leave them in the car (hidden of coarse) and use the code to unlock it...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
True, however, I go to places were I dont want to bring my keys (beach, biking, etc) and figured it would be easy to leave them in the car (hidden of coarse) and use the code to unlock it...
Well if it meets your lifestyle then have at it! I"m just saying that 99 percent of the people who have them dont use them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if it meets your lifestyle then have at it! I"m just saying that 99 percent of the people who have them dont use them.
Oh I know, people in my family have and dont use theirs... Just wondering if anyone here has looked into it...

·
Registered
299 Posts
man is just me or is that just possibly the worst idea ever. the whole sentry theft idea is completely useless. its pretty hard for our cars to be started without our key because of that system and if you have a key somewhere hidden, and im sure there are smart enough thieves to find stuff that when they found it, see yeah car!

·
Registered
477 Posts
man is just me or is that just possibly the worst idea ever. the whole sentry theft idea is completely useless. its pretty hard for our cars to be started without our key because of that system and if you have a key somewhere hidden, and im sure there are smart enough thieves to find stuff that when they found it, see yeah car!
actually it's a great idea. i used to use it all the time on my lincoln back in the day. i loved that ****. there's a kit out there i found but don't have url anymore. it's like $185 for it. definitely going to get it down the road though.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Just get a spare made so you can only open the door. Don't try and start your car with it.

Reactions: SpooledCSRT

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt a thief will spend that much time looking for keys, they will probably only check the visors, glove box, center console, and cup holders before giving up. I don't think they will jump in the back and check under the cover, look under the spring flap just behind the back seats, etc.

I do agree with you though that if a thief finds the keys, you better hope you have insurance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just get a spare made so you can only open the door. Don't try and start your car with it.
This idea would be more cost effective than doing a keypad entry... Had that on my old car, wonder why I didn't think of it before.

TY.

·
Registered
309 Posts
it would be cool it you can put it some where that it is not seen. for reason of leaving the key there but also not seeing the key pad

·
Registered
477 Posts
This idea would be more cost effective than doing a keypad entry... Had that on my old car, wonder why I didn't think of it before.

TY.
i just hate the fact that they don't have a key and fob seperate. shiit blows. i loved having car running and being able to use a quick disconnect and take the rest of my keys with me. the key is so dam big..

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
i just hate the fact that they don't have a key and fob seperate. shiit blows. i loved having car running and being able to use a quick disconnect and take the rest of my keys with me. the key is so dam big..
Yea, same here. I would keep my truck running, lock the doors and just take the spare with me.

I just got a second normal key made for mine to do just the doors.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking this is the best way to get what I'm looking for, so I'm just gonna have a spare door key made. Does the alarm activate when you lock the doors with a key?

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I'm thinking this is the best way to get what I'm looking for, so I'm just gonna have a spare door key made. Does the alarm activate when you lock the doors with a key?
IIRC the alarm only activates when you push the lock button on teh fob.

your manual will explain better

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Just hit the lock button on the door before you shut it. That will still activate the alarm.

If you just use a key to lock it, I don't believe that will activate the alarm.

Reactions: SpooledCSRT

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IIRC the alarm only activates when you push the lock button on teh fob.

your manual will explain better
Hmm... Ill have to try it to be sure... thx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts